You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-10-06 01:15:17

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Chikuzen Shakuhachi camp with Perry Yung

Hi All, Here is a new camp coming up.

I am very happy to be having Perry Yung as our guest at my Shakuhachi Camp in Delaware, Ohio at the end of November. As a shakuhachi player, how you think and feel about your shakuhachi is so important. If you understand this, you can understand how indebted to and dependant upon the shakuhachi craftsmen we players are. I believe that there are ideas about shakuhachi which are born from inexperience of any 'hands on' work with making shakuhachi and from not having a chance to spend much time with craftsmen who make them. In my mind, this creates what I would call an unhealthy and 'improper appreciation' of the instrument and the craftsmen who make them. This workshop gives us all a chance to create a healthy and real relationship with the craft and craftsman. I hope many of you can join Perry and myself for a weekend of studying how to make the shakuhachi and also how to play the shakuhachi.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/chikuzen.jpg

Camp Date: Nov.30~Dec.2
Place: Stratford Ecological Center, Delaware, Ohio (Near Columbus, OH)
Transportation to and from Columbus International Airport provided.
Fee: $270. Includes cost of bamboo, lessons and meals. Out-of-towners add $30 for prepared meals. For root end add $80.
Songs for study:
Honkyoku: Sanya: Yokoyama Katsuya version.
Modern: Makiri, Yokoyama Katsuya solo composition for 1.8.
Duet: Azuma no Kyoku for 1.8 & 2.0
Trio: Sanya Sugagaki for 1.8,2.0 & 2.4.
Kumoi Jishi for 1.8 & 2.0
For me info. Contact: Michael Gould, email: chikuzen@earthlink.net or Perry Yung at perry@yungflutes.com

Michael Chikuzen Gould
2641 Idlewood Rd. 2F
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
(313)600-2610

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/perryshop.jpg

Making and playing your own shakuhachi flute can be a immensely gratifying life experience. For me, there are few things in this world more joyful than waking up and blowing Choshi on a flute that I made. Join me in a personal shakuhachi making workshop devoted to crafting your own unique Jinashi flute out of real bamboo. I will share some of the traditional techniques I learned while studying under Kinya Sogawa, a professional maker and player in Japan who was an uchi deshi (live-in apprentice) of Chikusen Tamai. We will focus on how to make a simple yet fully functional bamboo shakuhachi in the Jinashi style with no additives. Participants will choose a piece of bamboo and take that raw material from the beginning stages of drilling out the nodes, cutting the utaguchi blowing edge and drilling finger holes to refining the utaguchi angles and fine tuning the tones holes. By the end of the workshop, everyone will be able to play a shakuhachi crafted by their own hands. This experience will allow the participants to deepen their relationship with the instrument and the music it was made to play.  Those interested in a root end piece can contact me directly for availability of lengths. Hope to see you there! - Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-10-29 17:05:47)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#2 2007-10-07 14:31:44

Zakarius

Re: Chikuzen Shakuhachi camp with Perry Yung

If only the around-the-world-airfare didn't start at US$1,400 sad  Hope you guys have a great workshop!

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2007-10-07 14:59:32

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Zakarius wrote:

If only the around-the-world-airfare didn't start at US$1,400 sad  Hope you guys have a great workshop!

Zakarius

Hey Zak, I played the shakuhachi in a theater piece in the Taipei Experimental Arts Festival in 1993. Were you there then?
Peace, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-10-07 15:00:35)

#4 2007-10-07 22:42:19

Zakarius

Yungflutes wrote:

I played the shakuhachi in a theater piece in the Taipei Experimental Arts Festival in 1993. Were you there then?

Nah, I was in highschool back in '93... mind telling me the secret of youth?--(you must be much older than you look)  I've been here for only 5 years.

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#5 2007-10-24 12:14:43

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

How's the workshop planning going fellas?

Best of luck!

Ken

#6 2007-10-24 17:00:49

dstone
Website

That workshop sounds *awesome*.  What a great mixture you're putting together!  Other travel plans conflict and I can't make it.  Maybe next time.

Anyone that goes is sure to come away with deep appreciation!!  Nice...

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2007-10-24 18:54:02

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Thanks Ken. The planning was going well but I took off a few days for concerts. I'm trying to gather together as many tools to help time line. I have 6 or 7 drills ready and Perry has several of the workbenches so this should help shorten the lines. What I want is to have more time time for questions and answers. We can't do urushi since I'm allergic so there's a limit to that end. It looks like we'll have ample time for playing as we stay there all night for friday & sat. We usually are up till 2am playing. I'll have to knock out a couple people so we can sleep. Perfect use for my "no roots ended" Taimu log! I should report this to Brian since he asked how are we using the Taimu flutes. Mine is nick named "Beginner's Mind". I love it.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#8 2007-10-24 21:51:27

Harazda

Dang, I'd like to play one of those flutes... a "Taimu log."  One of these days, when the ship comes in...

#9 2007-10-25 12:14:38

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Ken, I'm very excited. I've picked out some nice root end pieces for those who want to make a root end.  The non root end pieces will also be from my primo stash.

Some have inquired whether I would do further work on the flutes made in the workshop. I would be happy to. Depending upon the number of participants who want the additional work, the flutes may have to be sent to me afterwards. I don't know if the airlines would allow me to carry on a bunch of raw Ronin weapons:) I would hate to check them in.

I'm thinking that these flutes will be all natural Hocchiku style as any lacquering is time consuming. However, for those who want to seal the bore, we can apply a coat of tung oil at the end of the session. By the next day, it will be completely sealed, safe (by FDA standards) and ready to play.

Michael posted  a question about carry-ons on another thread. I've flown often carrying-on lot of shakuhachi (finished). And, also guitars and basses (not a contra). No airline has every harassed me over my musical instruments. Maybe over my haircut but not my instruments.

Namaste, Perry

#10 2007-10-25 12:54:51

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

I think the extended time period is a great idea. It's tough to pack a flutemaking session into a three hour time frame. That gives you some down time to relax, have some tea, martinis, whatever!

A short note about flying with flutes. I've been able to carry on a number of flutes many times except for one time last summer from LAX. I was forced to check them in. I was nervous but they were fine after the flight. Brian mentioned that he often checks them in now with no problems.

Have a great workshop guys!

Ken

#11 2007-11-12 13:59:36

Moran from Planet X
Website

If you are even vaguely in the area of this workshop and really want to deepen your understanding and appreciation of shakuhachi: Go!

I attended the one-day version workshop that Michael Chikuzen Gould and Ken Mujitsu LaCosse did in Berkeley this summer and it was worth its weight in gold for the information and insight I gained in the construction, philosophy and performance of shakuhachi -- which Brian Tairaku Ritchie  dubs "The King of Flutes".

One day was not long enough, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat including air fare and hotel rates on my working man's wage. People who go the Nov/Dec workshop are going to have 3 days. I am deep green with envy.

Just in one day's workshop, Michael's depth and breadth of knowledge of the sacred aspects of shakuhachi music provided me with months -- and very likely years--  of reflection. I  find myself practicing or performing a piece of music, come to a passage and discover that I understand aspects of its spiritual and emotional shape much more deeply because of something Michael commented on during the workshop. This is like my experience with the best of teachers like Riley Lee and Peter Hill and the late Yoshizawa Masakazu-sensei.

Michael's classroom presentation in engaging, coherent and lively. And he is a truly nice, warm and generous teacher. When you study with Michael you are also studying with the  greats of 20th century shakuhachi who were his direct teachers:  Yokoyama Katsuya and Taniguchi  Yoshinobu -- and by extension the legendary Watazumi Doso Roshi. Chikusen Gould is also one of the few Western shakuhachi teacher/performers who is regarded highly among Japanese shakuhachi players themselves -- no small achievement, indeed.

The shakuhachi making portion of the workshop is equally invaluable. I may never intend to pursue flute making or make another shakuhachi again, but as a flute student I have come to appreciate the instrument and marvel at it complexities in ways I would not have otherwise imagined: How bamboo types, bore shape, tone hole placement/shape and the subtleties of utaguchi construction effect tone color, pitch, playability, balance and speed. As a shakuhachi student to learn even the most basic concepts of hands-on construction from a knowledgeable professional maker with solid traditional roots is priceless. (The real 11th Commandment is: KNOW THY INSTRUMENT!)

Perry Yung has a wealth of shakuhachi making training and experience. He received his initial training with Japanese master maker, performer and iconclast Kinya Sogawa. Perry is one of most prolific shakuhachi makers of good, mechanically sound, fully functional shakuhachi in the USA (and his repair work is just as masterful). One of a VERY few. To study basic shakuhachi making with Perry (or Ken, as I did) is to tap into real practical and spiritual knowledge about the Great Instrument.

(This endorsement is made in the zen-style ... with no strings attached.) smile

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-11-12 18:20:57)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#12 2007-11-25 22:58:11

Larry

5 days till camp.  I soo excited!!  Hope to see many of you there!

Board footer