Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-06 18:21:02

barokgs11

name of the tune in Zatoichi

In the movie Zatoichi, a child performs traditional dance while his sister plays a tune with the guitar-like instrument.  Do you know the name of that tune? I remember hearing it performed with a shakuhachi elsewhere... It keeps playing in my head smile

Last edited by barokgs11 (2007-12-06 18:23:14)

#2 2007-12-06 21:19:55

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: name of the tune in Zatoichi

I'd like to know too. Beautiful tune. That was the recent Beat Takeshi movie. Fantastic movie.

I'd also want to add another question: In one of the original Zatoichi movies,  the star Shintaro Katsu and a young girl are walking down the road and singing a folk song. Like barokgs11 with the later movie, I am haunted by the melody. I can't remember which of the many older Zatoichi movies it was in.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#3 2007-12-07 12:34:39

Moran from Planet X
Website

'Still don't know the name of the music, but this may help someone identify it: This is a YouTube clip from the Beat Takeshi Zatoichi movie with the sister playing the unknown tune on shamisen about 2 and one-half minutes in to the clip.  http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=QVwJqnl20pM

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2007-12-07 16:15:50

rpowers

Chris Moran wrote:

In one of the original Zatoichi movies,  the star Shintaro Katsu and a young girl are walking down the road and singing a folk song. Like barokgs11 with the later movie, I am haunted by the melody. I can't remember which of the many older Zatoichi movies it was in.

Zatoichi Nidan Giri (#10) aka Zatoichi's Revenge.

Otsuru-chan sings about the monkeys at Sannou Shrine dressed in red and about Ebisu's banquet.

Does anyone know more about this song?

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#5 2007-12-07 23:16:31

Larry

Did you check the movie credits?  It might be in there..

#6 2007-12-09 12:07:19

Moran from Planet X
Website

rpowers wrote:

Zatoichi Nidan Giri (#10) aka Zatoichi's Revenge.

Otsuru-chan sings about the monkeys at Sannou Shrine dressed in red and about Ebisu's banquet.

Does anyone know more about this song?

Yes, that is the one. Thanks, Rich. Just re-rented it last night. Really lovely melody. I think we need a Japanese name for it. I've tried googling "monkeys at Sannou Shrine" and have come up with nothing. (Sanno shrine is famous for many things, one of which is the still standing _half_ of a stone toori (gate) left from the WWII Nagasaki atomic bombing.)

Still studying the Beat Takeshi Zatoichi tune query...  Shintaro Katsu (the original Zatoichi) was really big on traditional music and Takeshi may have picked a real plum with a hidden homage to Katsu-san. We'll see ...

#7 2007-12-10 10:21:24

Moran from Planet X
Website

Larry wrote:

Did you check the movie credits?  It might be in there..

All the old and new Zatoichi movie credits are in Japanese with no indication, as I scanned those credits, that the song would have been listed independently. I tried though.

Boy, I saw the Beat Kitano Zatoichi again last night and the "environmental" musical interludes with the farmers in the field (two of those) and the masons and carpenters building the house at the end were just stunning. Reminded me a lot of Ennio Morricone's use of environmental sound for the Sergio Leone westerns (particularly the train station sequence in Once Upon a Time in the West).  Brings to mind Chris Yohmei's new BreathPlay album and Philip Gelb's Natto Quartet recordings.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-12-10 12:25:34)

#8 2007-12-10 11:51:03

barokgs11

I probably heard that tune played with the shakuhachi in pandora. It was an arp shakuhachi duet if im not mistaken. You can listen my old shakuhachi Pandora Station from here: http://www.pandora.com/stations/3708302 … 95f6d5e36a

I said old, because they dont let people outside USA use Pandora now sad

#9 2008-01-05 10:34:18

barokgs11

If im not mistaken, I identified the tune thanks to the Ichigenkin post by amokrun.
Its name is Suga No Kyoku
http://www.emusic.com/album/Isshi-Yamad … 36035.html

#10 2016-06-17 20:15:41

サイプマーク

Not sure if this matters over 8 years later, but the basic issue was you were likely searching in English rather than Japanese/romaji, possibly was not on the internet back then either:

Sannô no osaru-san

Sannô no osaru-san waakai bebe ga daisuki.
A monkey in the Sannô shrine likes a red cloth.

Teteshan teteshan. (illegible]

Yuube Ebessan ni yobarete ittara,
The monkey was invited by the Ebisu god last evening.

Otai no suimono, kodai no shioyaki.
He was served a bowl of soup and grilled sea bream.

Ippai osusu ga suurasura,
He drank up the first cup of sake wine and

Nihai osusuga suurasura
The second cup of sake.

Sanbai me niwa sakana ga nai tote hara wo tatete,
When the third cup came, all the dishes were finished and he got angry.

Hatena hatena hatehate hatena.
What should it be?
------------------

Track #22:  http://arbiterrecords.org/catalog/japan … and-songs/

Last edited by サイプマーク (2016-06-17 20:18:24)

Board footer