World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-12 11:02:03

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

Futaikan pieces

How many pieces come from this temple? I am quite fond of their version of Reibo and San'ya!!

I know of a version of Tsuru no Sugomiri but have never seen the notation (can someone possibly send a copy to me?). Are there other pieces from this temple?

phil

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#2 2007-12-12 12:16:53

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: Futaikan pieces

philipgelb wrote:

... but have never seen the notation (can someone possibly send a copy to me?).

Yes, could someone post a Kinko ryu copy online? It is very useful, as a student, to see and study a piece in notation even you if are not ready to receive instruction in it.

Riley Lee as part of his thesis presentation online has links to half-a-dozen Futaikan Reibo recordings and half-a-dozen more to Shoganken Reibo. Really enlightening to hear these two different pieces of music played by six different masters.

http://www.rileylee.net/reibo_recordings.html

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#3 2007-12-12 14:06:11

dstone
Website

Atsuya Okuda (or maybe a Zensabo student here) might be someone to ask.

He is a scholar and practitioner of many temples' pieces, including Futaiken.  I have heard his Futaiken Reibo and it is long and beautiful.  *Very* long.  smile

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2007-12-12 17:07:06

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Futaiken tsuru no sugomori is what Okuda calls Kudan tsuru no sugomori.
Phil, if you remember the recording from... was it 1902 or 1912 or so, I emailed you a while ago. That was Futaiken tsuru no sugomori.
I need to check if I have a clean score of kudan sugomori somewhere and scan it before I can send it to you. But if you want... sure. smile

kiku

Last edited by Kiku Day (2007-12-12 17:08:01)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2007-12-12 18:13:39

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I know Godan Sugomori but not Kudan. Is this 9 parts?

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#6 2007-12-13 03:25:33

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

chikuzen wrote:

I know Godan Sugomori but not Kudan. Is this 9 parts?

Yes, it is in 9 parts, but in the Zensabo version (the only version I know) the two of the 'dan' are repeated, so we usually only play 7 dan. I should have looked for the Futaiken version while I was in Japan. I will certainly do that next time.

Kudan Sugomori is on Okuda's first CD, 'Sound of Zen'. I think the title there is simply 'Tsuru no Sugomori'

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#7 2007-12-13 08:45:24

nyokai
shihan
Website

Jin Nyodo's transmission of Futaiken Tsuru no Sugomori is a very colorful piece -- LOTS of tamane. (Phil G, it's in the Ki-Sui-An repertoire, so you may already have it somewhere.) It is not, however, divided -- at least in Kurahashi Yodo's notation -- into 9 OR 7 sections. Renpoken Tsuru no Sugomori, which is the version Jinbo Masanosuke played, is in 9 sections, and the Myoan Tsuru no Sugomori is in 7 dan.

According to Sakai Shodo's liner notes on his spectacular "Five Metamophoses of Nesting of Cranes" CD, the Futaiken version was transmitted by Onodera Genkichi (1858-1928), who was a komuso from Miyagi. Watasumi's Tsuru no Sugomori, according to Sakai Shodo, is related to this version. All of Sakai Shodo's versions track pretty closely with the the Jin Nyodo/Kurahashi Yodo scores.

Last edited by nyokai (2007-12-13 10:27:54)

Board footer