World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-09 07:12:47

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Modern music...

Hello... 

In these days in which we are so worried about timbristic or let's say tone color in the shakuhachi we  have been making, I would like to ask to the forum members what they think about the ways that the new MUSIC composed for/with the shakuhachi are taking...   

It's a tendency on the humanity the search for immediate pleasures, we look for fun ... It's really reflected in  music. If we play shakuhachi to someone who doesn't have heard about the flute(or the flute itself) or doesn't know anything about it's history, a lot of times we'll hear a boring question: "Can you play jazz on it?" or "Do you play a well-known music?(they hear the shaku sonority as strange improvisations from a martian hippie?). At least I hope never be asked to play a samba on shakuhachi...    I think that a lot of people forgot their sensibility somewhere over the way....

If by a side some modern players can compose music that can put our knees to the floor, on the other side we hear music that just "get in through one ear and get out through another", sometimes without make any shake in our soul... 

Balance is the key as in the whole life aspects... But the human being has inclinations. To where these are taking the music?

Omnia mea mecum porto

#2 2007-12-11 08:12:02

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Modern music...

Hi Musgo da Pedra,
As for the directions of new music for the shakuhachi, I think it's an open book.  Due to the fact that the shakuhachi has expanded into something more than an instrument of Japanese tradition, the number of voices available to it are limited only by the number of personalities behind the blowing edge and beyond that, there is an unlimited potential.  I for one love the traditions as they have given me a grounding, but I'm very intrigued with what some people are doing.  I've never really been able to appreciate atonal and environmental music in one sitting over extended periods of time, but recently, thanks to random play on my ipod, I've come to really enjoy Phil Gelb's Purple Wind CD, as well as Christopher Blasdel's new recording with Byron Au Yong, Breath Play.   I get inspiration from improvising  My compositions don't particularly appear improvisational, but they largely come from explorations. 
As for your question of inclinations, I haven't necessarily seen any trends happening, and for that I'm happy.
cheers

Last edited by Jeff Cairns (2007-12-11 08:17:42)

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2007-12-12 10:53:38

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

Thanks for mentioning one of my CDs! At the same time i cringe think someone actually listens to one of my early recordings like Purple Wind as personally, i cant stand it smile

Will be releasing some new recordings, next year including a duet project with my musical partner, the amazing pipa player, Jie Ma.

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#4 2007-12-12 11:23:16

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

philipgelb wrote:

At the same time i cringe think someone actually listens to one of my early recordings like Purple Wind as personally, i cant stand it smile

Ha! Phil, I love this attitude towards art!

I think failure (real or perceived) is a permanent companion to any serious endeavor in shakuhachi. It insures humility, reinforces the benefits of beginners mind and strengthens determination. It reveals that we are really only competing with ourselves.

Don't look back!

Ken

#5 2007-12-12 11:55:48

nyokai
shihan
Website

Listening to old CDs is always a cringeful experience!

#6 2007-12-13 20:14:39

Jeff Cairns
Website

Cringeful and invigorating (after the humility of course.)  Look back and forward, look up and down and occasionally side to side.  Look in and look out; something's always coming at you and you're always going somewhere.  Phil, it may not be your best work, but I'm glad you did it.big_smile

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#7 2007-12-13 20:46:54

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

That sounds very much like Fuke's poem? Are you Fuke?

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#8 2007-12-13 23:10:42

Moran from Planet X
Website

philipgelb wrote:

Will be releasing some new recordings, next year including a duet project with my musical partner, the amazing pipa player, Jie Ma.

Sounds wonderful already. (I was disappointed when you told me last year that Purple Wind was out-of-print. But I guess you aren't).

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#9 2007-12-14 08:30:45

Jeff Cairns
Website

chikuzen wrote:

That sounds very much like Fuke's poem? Are you Fuke?

I have never read any poetry attributed to Fuke (though it may well be that he was merely channeling me at the time wink) that I'm aware of in this particular incarnation, therefore any similarities to the aforementioned must be accredited to the mysterious workings of the universe and I'm damn happy to be a part of it.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

Board footer