Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-15 08:49:05

FrederickC

Hello from Jeju Island

Hi there,

Have been browsing the posts on this wonderful forum for about a year now. So it is about time to introduce myself from the silence.

I met with a Shakuhachi 16 years ago when a well known maker in Nagano lent me one. I used to ride my pushbike up to the lower slopes of the Central alps and make a few noises with it in a pine forest near an old temple. Solitary moments, much enjoyed.
Foolishly I didn't buy the flute.

Ten years later I bought a lovely 2.1 at an antique fair in Tokyo and then met a good teacher in Tateshina in Nagano. Only learnt for a few months, but it was a great start.
Now I learn online with an exceedingly accomplished teacher who I am grateful to have access to.
Been a bit slow on my Shakuhachi path but getting keener in action every day now.

While in Tokyo I sat Zen and lived regularly in a Zazen Dojo for a few years. Took the layman precepts of Soto Zen.
Not formally involved anymore but always have a deep respect for the Zen lineages and the Zen Ways.
Shakuhachi is a curious ( as in "unexpected") form of Zen that I am very attracted to.

I dug up a piece of Madake here on Jeju Island a couple of months ago and have been contemplating some aged pieces of bamboo I purchased from Japan recently. After a few weeks of looking at the bamboo, last night I filed the end of one tiny rootlet end on the root end about 1.5mm.
I am not in a hurry.

I love the Shakuhachi. Honkyoku calm my mind and paradoxically give silent revelation. The flute and the music are becoming an integral part of this life.

This forum is a great resource. It is an exceptional place to explore.
Thank you.

Frederick

#2 2007-12-15 10:20:27

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Hello from Jeju Island

Your eloquent pen is welcome here, Frederick!

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-12-16 02:41:32

FrederickC

Thanks for the warm welcome Edo-san.    smile

#4 2007-12-16 02:49:13

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Welcome to the forum!

Lucky you! I heard Jeju island is a great place. I wish to visit that place one day. Did you get involved in Zazen down there as well?

In any case nice to have you on the forum.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#5 2007-12-16 04:11:54

FrederickC

Hello Gishin,

I am going to check out a temple here. Zazen is practiced there as far as I know.
You can see the temple on this website.
http://www.yakchunsa.org/
They say it is the largest single temple in the Orient. I don't know if that is true.

There is a small colorful local temple ( love the use of the aqua color in and on Korean temples) I visited when walking back from work last week which I will spend some time in. There were a few locals prostrating to a large Buddha statue, Sutras being chanted and wooden blocks being hit by priests.
The place felt good.

I do a form of Yoga now which includes meditation as my main practice but I like to spend time in places of practice of any tradition wherein there is some opening to Reality.
I must say I love the Zen tradition. Especially the arts that emanated from it.

Yes, Jeju is a beautiful island but it is still a part of the most Confucian based culture in the world (Korea) which leads to a conservatism that is to say the least from my point of view, quite boring at times.
I do feel lucky to be here at this time in my life. After the long winter, beaches will be there to enjoy
and the environment here must be one of the cleanest in Asia.
It is an interesting place in many ways with an ancient history.

Thanks for your welcome.

Frederick

#6 2007-12-16 17:06:55

dstone
Website

Yo, Frederick!

Nice to have you and your perspectives here.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2007-12-17 11:29:54

FrederickC

smile

Board footer