Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-18 12:16:49

Gostrangely

Hello from Glasgow

Hi everyone
Having been playing irish flute, or at least trying to, for almost a year I recently had the opportunity to obtain a 1.7 shakuhachi, something I'd long wanted to try,  in exchange for one of my transverse flutes form a member of the Chiff & Fipple board; the flute had previously been refurbished by Perry and he gave me this information regarding it:

Yes, I remember the flute. It is probably around 70 - 100 years old, difficult to say for sure. I believe it was made for the Myoan (Miean) sect of zen Honkyoku music. These are really amazing instruments for those who understand how to access the sound. They are not loud like modern instruments but the right player can transform the listener with sounds that belong to the air of an ancient temple.

So far I've been unable to get a sound out of it but I'll keep trying and am sure I'll succeed eventually, and hopefully start on a long and wonderful voyage of discovery.

Paul

#2 2007-12-18 14:32:17

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Hello from Glasgow

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum. The sound is there. I'm sure you will find it. It's all about your air stream and how it hits the center of the utaguchi. The smaller the better. 50% goes into the flute, 50% goes over the edge. Try should also vary your air stream velocity. It actually doesn't take much to make a gentle sound. Some people just exhale on to it with the correct lip shape and placement.

Visit the technique section and you will be happy to know that you are not alone:)

Good luck, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2007-12-18 14:53:15

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Hello from Glasgow

Another recommendation:

While you're trying to get your 'first' sound, it's a good idea to play the flute with all the holes open at first--it's easier to get a sound that way.

After you get something going, close the thumb hole (#5), work with that for a while, then close #4, work with that, and so on....

Good luck!

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer