Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-06 15:02:05

Michael A. Firman
Website

Michael Gould's Shakuhachi Camp (with Perry Yung doing a workshop)

Hi,

Last weekend I attended the Camp/Workshop that Michael and Perry held.
My wife and I took some photos which we have temporarily posted on our
web site, here is the URL http://www.mlswebworks.com/tmp/Shakuhac … index.html
There are five pages of photo thumbnails, you can click on the thumbnails to see the
larger versions.

Thank you Michael and Perry for a very enlightening weekend.

Michael A. Firman
Naperville IL USA

#2 2007-12-06 16:33:47

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: Michael Gould's Shakuhachi Camp (with Perry Yung doing a workshop)

Thanks for sharing those pictures!

Showed them to the wife and she was very happy to see that her father's calligraphy had been displayed at the camp.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#3 2007-12-06 16:48:57

Michael A. Firman
Website

@Gishin

I believe that your Chanting was heard as well.

Michael tried to tell me what the callegraphy meant, something like "Hear... Satori Path"
meaning: Hearing a sound that places one (instantly) on the path to enlightenment.

What is your interpretation?

Michael A. Firman
Naperville IL USA

#4 2007-12-06 18:30:40

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

The calligraphy itslef reads as Monsho Godo and the most complete translation that I can come up for it in English would go like this. Realizing the Way (Do) through hearing a sound.

This Zen saying makes reference to the time Hsiang-Yen .Ch Kyogen.Jp 香嚴 reached enlightenment when he hear a rock hit a piece of bamboo while he was sweeping the temple grounds.

This story come sout of the Chinese Zen record called the sanbyakusoku case #17 and was also used later on by Dogen in his Shobogenzo.

the actual name of the story is Kyogen Kyakuchiku Daigo  Kyogen attains great satori on hearing the sound of a stone hitting a bamboo (香嚴撃竹大梧)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#5 2007-12-06 19:29:48

dstone
Website

Nice!  Food, blowing, and building.  What a great time! 
Thanks for sharing those images, Michael!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#6 2007-12-09 22:56:37

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Michael, thanks for sharing the photos. I had an amazing time as a participant! Being holed up here in Noho, I sometimes feel a little isolated from the community. NYC is one of the best places a shakuhachi player can be outside of Japan. I used to get walk-in visitors all the time in the shop. I'd do a repair, they'd buy a flute, we'd drink tea...but in Noho I  can count all the visitors I've had in the last year on both hands. Participating in Michael's camp was truly a joyous occasion for me. I got to be part of a community again.

I was also quite impressed with the focus everyone had in the making section. Hearing everyone play their flute at the end was quite moving. I usually just toot my own flutes in my shop but it was awesome hearing 12 makers toot their own flutes in one room! Is there a world's record for the most bamboo shakuhachi flutes made in one sitting?

Lastly, to those who do not have a teacher nearby (or even if you do) participating in a camp would probably be the best thing for you. Just once a year, take your vacation and go. You will not regret it. In three days, or a week, you will be able to leave with enough material that will keep you busy for a year or more. Another benefit of camp is that you get to hear a  lot of different players. The variety of sounds can help you determine what you need to do to hone your own sound. I personally am pretty stoked that I have some very different new pieces to practice!

The food wasn't too shabby either. Actually, it was quite fantastic! Michael, you certainly can sell that part of the camp more next time smile Brian macrobiotic lunch was the best I've ever had.

Namaste, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-12-09 22:59:12)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#7 2007-12-23 12:35:48

rob+kat

From a radical free jazz, found sound,  eat your heart out john cage point of view, hearing, from the kitchen, all the great jinashi tones of the great players first getting into their newly made pipes was a very high point peak experience indeed.
thanks everyone!
rob/bob

Board footer