You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-22 07:27:31

Josh
PhD
Website

Another new myspace user

Hi,
I'm finally geting use to this technologically advanced world we live in and also started a myspace account. Learning from others I went straight for the music version. However! I have yet to get some music up there. Sorry, it's coming. Part of the problem is that I record lessons and other music on my portable Olympic IC recorder, which is fine for me but Im finding that the quality is quite low because it is more meant for interviews. Any advice on a decent shakuhachi recorder and/or mic? Portable would be great too.
For the time being I think I'll put up a movie from the digital camera. Bare with me.
Everyone's Myspaces have been a great guide and a great listen.

#2 2007-12-22 10:56:53

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Another new myspace user

Try this link:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … 3083#p3083

It was obtained, along with many others, by entering 'recorders' into the very useful search function here on the Forum.

The search function may be found in upper left-hand corner of the page.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2007-12-22 11:00:39)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-12-23 07:20:04

Josh
PhD
Website

Thanks Edosan,
  I checked those posts and was just wondering if people had found anything more recently. I figure the mic that you just plug into your computer  (http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod … ;brandID=2) seems to be the simplest way to go. It's not portable but I'll save that toy for another day I guess.

#4 2007-12-23 17:26:10

dstone
Website

Josh wrote:

I figure the mic that you just plug into your computer seems to be the simplest way to go.

It is a simple solution and you probably won't regret investing a into a good mic anyways.

Downsides:
* inexpensive computer sound card will now be the weak link
* an analog mic input/preamp inside the computer will probably pick up audible noise from all the other computer signals

Outboard sound "cards" that connect via USB (or portable recorders) can help insulate the sensitive input circuits from all the nasty AC, video, hard disk, networking, and other noisy signals inside the computer.

There's a Zoom H2 and H4 (also on that site you linked to) which several people here say good things about.  I've used the H2 a lot.  It can take an external mic (the H4 can also take XLR) though its built-in mics are good enough for me.  It has much lower noise and only slightly more complicated than a PC+mic solution.  (Media transfers with either USB or via the SD card.)

Sony MD recorders are also inexpensive and typically have awesome noise characteristics on the input side.  Unfortunately, Sony makes transferring content a massive pain in the butt.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2007-12-23 21:24:11

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

I'll second everything you said there Darren.  I use an H4 and I'm very happy with it.  Of course it has a downside, ie. small screen, but for just over $200 you can't go wrong.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#6 2007-12-24 02:09:38

Josh
PhD
Website

Thanks for the up-to-date responses guys. While I'm awaitng the mic's arival I put up a few videos. The mic quality isn't great though and the recordings are pretty raw. I feel so naked!! smile

#7 2007-12-24 10:44:32

edosan
Edomologist

'Kikyo Genso Kyoku':

Nothing to be ashamed of there!

A graceful rendition of a great piece.

Naked is GOOD...

[A first for me: Marilyn Manson and Yoyo Ma in the same 'influences' list....]

eB

Last edited by edosan (2007-12-24 10:47:35)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#8 2007-12-25 09:14:45

Josh
PhD
Website

Thanks Edosan.  The influences depends on the mood I guess. A lot of Manson's stuff is too heavy for me at times, and classical in general sometimes puts me to sleep.  In general I tend to drift into dark ambient genres, but I'm really a happy guy at heart smile 
I've been trying to upload a few honkyoku but am having some problems with it. Damn all this modern technology. It's a love-hate relationship

Board footer