Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-26 21:44:14

jmeade

Thank you all for this funny, cranky, insightful, helpful, ignorant, wonderful website! I am old and have been playing at the shakuhachi for thirty years but only recently started lessons with Ronnie Seldin. I feel blessed by his approach, his modesty and humor and helpfulness. In May I had a lesson in his dojo in NYC and he came wearing a black t-shirt with the words "I'm big in Japan" on it. That alone put me at ease. Over time I have bought a number of shakuhachi. I bought them as objects as they seemed to have a presence and would pull at me, but I was afraid to try to play them seriously as I questioned my sincerity and felt they required a commitment I couldn't or wouldn't give. Being around them was kind of like entering a church.  I am still not thinking I'm ready but if I wait much longer I will be dead so ----
  I have learned the basics of Daiwa Gaku and my experience of playing it is these individual units of sound and I don't seem to be able to make it feel like music. I have played traditional Appalachian music for forty years for much the same reason I have been attracted to Honkyoku, a connection to something beyond words, yet with the shakuhachi I can't get that sense when I play. I feel like I'm typing except that I get light headed. How does that go away? I know to just keep playing but I would like to hear another perspective on this.

P.S. I have a beautiful  Biwa I would consider trading for the perfect flute. Maybe I just need the right flute? I can send pictures if anyone has a good 1.8 or  2.4 they would like to trade for a Biwa.

Kyosen

Last edited by jmeade (2008-01-13 05:41:27)

#2 2007-12-27 02:02:08

dstone
Website

Re: new member

jmeade wrote:

I have learned the basics of Daiwa Gaku and my experience of playing it is these individual units of sound and I don't seem to be able to make it feel like music. ... I know to just keep playing but I would like to here another perspective on this.

Yup.  Shared experience there.

I reckon...  When I'm frustrated by playing what feels like disconnected units...  I'm probably tangled up in too much judgement and thinking and illusion... need more practice.  Then when I feel I've played something pleasing and connected and musical, I'm probably tangled up in too much judgement and thinking and illusion... need more practice.  What a ridiculous instrument and repertoire.

Welcome, jmeade!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-12-27 07:38:49

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: new member

jmeade wrote:

P.S. I have a beautiful  Biwa I would consider trading for the perfect flute. Maybe I just need the right flute? I can send pictures if anyone has a good 1.8 or  2.4 they would like to trade for a Biwa.

Kyosen

I have a 2.4 Kyotaku that you can see under the Buy and Sell section on tis forum.  Have a look and listen to the sound bites I posted.  I may be interested in a trade.
Jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

Board footer