World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-27 08:08:02

chuck091956
Website

shika no tone MP3?

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a recording of shika no tone that could be downloaded? I have the sheet music but would like a recording to help guide me.

Chuck

Chuck Peck

#2 2007-12-27 12:03:40

Zakarius

Re: shika no tone MP3?

I have the piece on a number of CDs but know of no public domain version. I could recommend a recording if you're looking to buy a CD. Is your notation available on the web or did you buy it? (I wanna learn the piece, too wink

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2007-12-27 13:52:34

Moran from Planet X
Website

Mejiro sells a single sheet notation of  Shika no Tone by Tajima Tadashi. 800 yen (about $7.00 US) http://www.mejiro-japan.com/system/index_e.php?c_id=479

On the same page you can find a volume of Yokuyama Katsuya's notation which includes his version (which is likely similar to Tajima's, as the latter is a student of the former) :

Honkyoku Notation by Katsuya Yokoyama-Kinko (VOL. 3) - item number B0143 - 3,500 yen (about $30 US)
Contents: Shoganken Reibo. Reibo, Ukigumo, Shikano Tone, Takiochi, Kumoijishi

The CD Tajima Tadashi, Master of Shakuhachi has a solo version of the piece as played by Tajima.

One of Yokoyama's harder-but-not-impossible--to-find CDs, Japon: Kinshi Tsuruta / Katsuya Yokoyama, has a version of Yokoyama playing the piece as a duet with himself which is interesting. Other Yokoyama recordings exist of him playing the  Shika no Tone duet with senior master students of his.

If you ever get to hear this piece done as a solo by Masayuki Koga -- it is a treat. Eastwind by Masayuki Koga is avaiable as a CD on Amazon. The CD is also available as a Mp3 download for about $9.

Shika no Tone is a very tricky piece to play. I am a long way from learning it. A lot of things in the notation would not be clear without a good teacher to interpret them for you. Nevertheless, looking at scores you want to learn is, for me, always a rewarding thing to do -- if for nothing else for me to appreciate my goals and the daunting job ahead of me.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2007-12-27 15:53:18

nyokai
shihan
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

A lot of things in the notation would not be clear without a good teacher to interpret them for you.

Because most of the scores are far from actual performance, this is one of the few pieces I generally teach without using any notation at all. That has an added advantage: by the time you know how to play it at all, you've already got it memorized.

#5 2007-12-27 16:14:40

Moran from Planet X
Website

nyokai wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

A lot of things in the notation would not be clear without a good teacher to interpret them for you.

Because most of the scores are far from actual performance, this is one of the few pieces I generally teach without using any notation at all. That has an added advantage: by the time you know how to play it at all, you've already got it memorized.

Yes, I should have said A WHOLE LOT of things in the notation ....

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#6 2007-12-28 08:35:54

Zakarius

Chris Moran wrote:

If you ever get to hear this piece done as a solo by Masayuki Koga -- it is a treat. Eastwind by Masayuki Koga is avaiable as a CD on Amazon. The CD is also available as a Mp3 download for about $9.

I have this recording (among others) and completely agree that it's a treat. Highly recommended.

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#7 2007-12-28 13:02:48

Moran from Planet X
Website

On this page you can listen to or download recordings of the legendary Araki Kodo III (Born: 1879
Died: 1935) playing Shika no Tone and Hi Fu Mi Hachigaechi:

http://shakuhachi.komusou.jp/kinkoryuu/kinkoryuu.html

The recordings are digital transfers from 78 rpm shellac records from the 1930s. They are very generously posted by forum member Eiryuu, of whom we know very little except that he has created a priceless resource for the shakuhachi world and deserves a medal for his contributions.

Board footer