Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-30 09:34:33

Windom

Thumb(hole) positioning on a long flute

This is a part flutemaking, part technique question.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to deal with the thumb hole on my 2.7 acrylic flute. I used these measurements, with light offsets on the first and third hole; I use the second joints of my index fingers to cover the second and fourth hole. This, I understand, is normal practice with flutes of these dimensions. But - there is no way for me to cover the thumb hole with the flesh of my thumb without serious wrist trouble if I drill the hole on the centerline of the flute. I would have to either a) cover the hole with the side of my thumbtip or first joint or to b) make the hole almost 45° offset.

What is the common practice in this situation? The first option would result in me applying squeeze pressure in what seems like an unnatural direction with my thumb to overcome sealing problems (and not forgetting overtension from undeveloped posture control), and the second has me worrying if I'll be able to hold the flute reliably.

I don't really know what the appropriate hole-covering posture for the left hand thumb is in the first place - whether the thumb should be aligned with the flute's length or perpendicular to it or something in between, and whether the pad should always be used or if the side of the thumb is also acceptable.

(PS. acrylic pipe seems to be a very nice ersatz material for flutes, certainly much better than PVC.)

Last edited by Windom (2007-12-30 09:37:13)

#2 2007-12-30 11:16:04

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Thumb(hole) positioning on a long flute

I have a 2.8 (G) bamboo flute made for me by Perry Yung, and we labored long over the hole placement (at a distance
from Utah to Tokyo, so it was an interesting process). My suggestions:

• I think you should play the fourth hole with your finger 'tip', in the normal fashion (second hole with second or
      even third joint of your right hand index finger, as you stated--I use the third joint).

• The 'ideal' orientation of your left thumb should be as parallel as possible the the centerline of the flute; you're
       not going to be able to do this if you play the fourth hole as you've stated. This doesn't mean that the fifth hole
       (left thumb) must be ON the centerline--mine, for example, is moved to the 'left' (toward the left hand) about a
       centimeter (on center). The fourth hole is ON the centerline, and the third hole is moved to the 'left' at least two
       centimeters.

• Taking into account the smaller outside diameter of your acrylic material, the problem of moving the thumb hole
       off the centerline, thus affecting your ability to grip the flute, may be greater than on a big piece of bamboo.

• What I did to figure all this out was to buy a wooden dowel close to the diameter of the culm Perry bought for me,
       fashion a dummy blowing edge on one end, and then place round 11mm Avery stickers where the holes could be
       (Perry gave me the starting locations for the holes). I could then move the stickers around the shaft at those
       locations and 'play' the dummy flute to optimize the hole offsets. Worked quite well, but for one hole (third), Perry
       actually angled the hole chimney, so that the hole could be moved slightly toward the blowing end to
       acommodate my left third finger (THANKS, Perry, for all that to-ing and fro-ing smile).

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4233/28shk2ea6.jpg

Hope all this makes sense.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2007-12-30 11:27:05)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-12-30 11:20:23

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Hi Windom,

Drilling the thumbhole a little off center is common for long, wide shakuhachi. Sometimes you have to do it to play with comfort. Too much and you can't hold the flute well. Just enough and the thumb can support the flute enough.

If you don't want to use the medial (inside) knuckle of your thumb to cover the hole, you can try covering the third hole with your little finger. This makes it easier to cover the thumb hole normally. You might need to move the third hole more off center for this.

Good luck!

Ken

#4 2007-12-30 11:50:20

Windom

Thanks! Insufficient third hole offset must be the problem. Now I should have a long enough row of ducks to make the next instrument definitive.

Board footer