Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-01 22:29:06

mrwuwu

member introductions

Happy New Year from Chicago, Illinois!!!!!!!   My name is Clinton Moy,  have only started enjoying the shakuhachi experience  for two months now.     I am the biggest fan of Perry Yung and his shakuhachi's ,  he has been my best help so far in this quest.    I will start lessons with a teacher this month,  and hope to stick with this for many years to come.    Thank you .  I hope to be able to contribute to this forum later on.

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#2 2008-01-01 22:39:46

nomaD43

Re: member introductions

Welcome to the forum and, more importantly, to the world of Shakuhachi. It is a wonderful place to be.
Feel free to ask quesions of the many knowledgeable residents of this forum.
And have fun blowing long ROs for many years.
Damon

#3 2008-01-01 23:01:15

mrwuwu

Thanks for the warm welcome, Noma!!!!!!!!!!  Looks like I'll be Ro'ing this boat for a long time!

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#4 2008-01-02 00:41:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Welcome to the forum! (from a former Midwesterner). Who will you study with?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2008-01-02 11:15:14

mrwuwu

Happy New Year!  Tairaku!     I've enjoyed and have learned much from all your posts.  Thanks for the warm welcome!                    I found Sensei Michael Furuta in the North Side of Chicago,  not too far from where I live.  I will start lessons with him this month.                        I also located Sensei  Morimasa Horiuchi located in the Northwest suburbs in Hoffman Estates, Illinois  who is listed with the International Shakuhachi Society.      I could not find any information or past histories of either sensei,   so I decided to go with Furuta first,  especially since I work long hours and will have to drive like a madman to make it to any weeknight classes.   I interviewed with him and he seems very knowledgeable and considerate.    There was talk of a third sensei, but I was told he had passed away recently.     That's  all I could find in the Illinois area.              We are having terrible ice and snowstorms here this past month,  and now temps below 20 from the windchill.      Hope it's better in Tasmania!!    Sincerely, Clint

#6 2008-01-02 17:21:39

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi, I have not heard of Mr. Furata. Maybe you should ask him to join the forum and post some information about himself. Do you know what style he plays?

Mori-san is retired and not taking any new students. One of my former students studies with him but he's not taking anyone new.

Best of luck with your studies. Glad to hear of more people in the Milwaukee suburbs. wink

#7 2008-01-02 17:31:20

Michael A. Firman
Website

Hi Clinton (and all),

I'm also in the Chicago area (Naperville) and have been a friend and student of Michael Furuta's for
years.

Michael was a student of Tadashi Tajiima's when he (Michael) lived in Japan. So he is basically of the kinko
school as it has been interpreted through the students of Yokoyama (Tajiima-sensei being such a student).

Michael doesn't have a resonable speed internet connection at this time (soon though). When he does
get a connection I'll have him join this forum.

Michael A. Firman
Naperville IL USA

#8 2008-01-02 17:37:57

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks Michael.

Tajima is a great player so I'm sure you guys have a good sound going!

Ciao,

BR

#9 2008-01-05 10:21:59

mrwuwu

Hello!  Michael Firman!   Thanks for the welcome and for the additional info about Mr. Furuta.     I don't know how many shakuhachi players there are in our Illinois area,  but glad to have another ,  the more the better.        If you are still taking lessons, I will probably bump into you sooner or later this year!    Have a Happy New Year!    Clinton Moy

#10 2008-01-07 01:07:30

withaquietmind
Website

Hi all!  Ryan here, another Chicago native.  This is my first post on the forum, though I've been reading threads for a week or two.  What an amazing coincidence this thread is...I had no idea there were other Shakuhachi players in Chicago!  Exciting!  I just started to play a few weeks ago, and am looking for people to play with and learn from.  Glad to see you all on the forums, and hopefully in real life very soon.

-Ryan

newborn on the bus-
where is your destination?
I'm going to work

#11 2008-01-07 03:45:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jeff Jones, who is on this forum is another Chicago shakuhachi player. He is into Myoan shakuhachi.

Board footer