Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-02 19:18:19

rpelton

Hello to everyone,

I am new to the shakuhachi. After building an Anasazi flute and actually getting sound and notes from it, I have become very interested in all end or rim blown flutes. The shakuhachi is a logical progression. I have a Yuu that I visually enhanced (not confident enough yet to try and aurally enhance it)  smile.  Love the sound of the Shakuhachi, Xiao, Quenacho and Anasazi/Hopi. All are different - yet somehow the same.

I live half of the year in France and the other half in California (in 3 month increments) - truly a blessed existence. I have read most of the posts over the last month and decided to join today. Looking forward to learning more.

Be well

Ron

"Perfection is not when there is no more to add, but no more to take away."
Antoine St. Exupery

#2 2008-01-03 08:13:26

radi0gnome
Website

Re: New member

rpelton wrote:

Hello to everyone,

I am new to the shakuhachi. After building an Anasazi flute and actually getting sound and notes from it, I have become very interested in all end or rim blown flutes. The shakuhachi is a logical progression. I have a Yuu that I visually enhanced (not confident enough yet to try and aurally enhance it)  smile.  Love the sound of the Shakuhachi, Xiao, Quenacho and Anasazi/Hopi. All are different - yet somehow the same.

I live half of the year in France and the other half in California (in 3 month increments) - truly a blessed existence. I have read most of the posts over the last month and decided to join today. Looking forward to learning more.

Be well

Ron

Welcome to the forum, Ron. I notice you're missing one from your list of rim blown flutes, ney. And you can break that down into Turkish, Iranian, and Egyptian ney. I've never even seen an Anasazi or Xiao, but I'm spreading myself too thin already, you can spend a lifetime just trying to get a good Ro out of shakuhachi so I always feel like I'm not putting enough concentration on it. I hope you find the forum enjoyable, you certainly can learn a lot here too.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2008-01-03 09:28:55

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

Where in California are you spending half your year?

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#4 2008-01-03 11:19:32

rpelton

Hi Charles, yeah I forgot the ney. Funny too, because I just ordered a Turkish ney last week.

Phil, I live in Southern California, suburb of L.A. to be more exact. Doesn't quite compare to France, but...

Thanks for the welcome!

Antoine St. Exupery

#5 2008-01-03 12:12:34

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Ron.

Welcome to the forum.
If you want, there may be a shakuhachi teacher hosting an event in the sounthern part of France. Unfortunately, I am not so well informed about it. It may get posted on Euroshak mailing list.
There will be a local Shakuhachi Summer School in France as well as Germany, Czech Republic and England with different teachers teaching at various places.
The European Shakuhachi Society (ESS) is very close to finally be registered as a charity. Then hopefully, we can get started on the work of spreading the knowledge and enjoyment of shakuhachi playing in Europe.
Stay tuned at: www.shakuhachisociety.eu (website only being made at the moment)
Euroshak ( the email list of ESS): http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Euroshak/

Enjoy playing!
All the best for 08!
Kiku

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2008-01-03 15:28:14

rpelton

Hi Kiku

Thanks for all the information. I will check into it and see what unfolds. You have a very beautiful and informative website!

Be well

Ron

Antoine St. Exupery

Board footer