Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-11 17:31:26

mattmarchese

Another Newcomer

Hello everyone,

I’ve been reading the site for a couple of weeks or so and it really looks like a great place for conversation and study. I’m quite new to playing shakuhachi, having picked up a yuu about three weeks ago, but I’ve been in love with the sound for quite a while before that.  Teaching myself has proven an exciting/frustrating/fulfilling challenge (I’m writing from Fayetteville, Arkansas, a little town nuzzled into the southern border of the Ozark Mountains, and am dealing with the expected dearth of shakuhachi instructors), but from what I’ve read and heard, snails-pace progress seems to be something all players have to get used to (and possibly embrace). So I’m looking forward to discussion and, of course, eventually begging for advice.

Thanks,

-matt

#2 2008-01-11 19:29:22

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Another Newcomer

Matt, welcome.  You seem to have a good attitude.  I'm sure you will benefit by that.  Feel free to avail yourself fully of the expertise found in this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here and everybody is more than accommodating.  Also, don't hesitate to use the site's search facility.  There is a great deal of pertinent information logged there as well.  It's a pleasure to share this journey.
Jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2008-01-12 00:28:36

JeffMartindale
Website

Hello Matt. Small world since I live and work in Fayetteville. Glad to hear that you have started the shakuhachi. Not too many shakuhachi players in Arkansas. Also glad that you joined the forum. Welcome. Would be happy to talk with you more about the shakuhachi. Feel free to contact me. All the best, Jeff

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#4 2008-01-12 01:09:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

JeffMartindale wrote:

Hello Matt. Small world since I live and work in Fayetteville. Glad to hear that you have started the shakuhachi. Not too many shakuhachi players in Arkansas. Also glad that you joined the forum. Welcome. Would be happy to talk with you more about the shakuhachi. Feel free to contact me. All the best, Jeff

Which prompts me to make an administrative request to all members to put your location up so people can see that you are in the same area------or not. Good for networking.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer