Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-11 13:12:07

Gene

PLAYING INSTRUCTIONS FOR KYOREI?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question - I'm a dumb, old, newbie - three strikes.

But I'm trying to teach myself Kyorei and Hon Shirabe, and I have a great set of Playing Instructions for Hon Shirabe.  Plus I have two dissimilar sets of notation for Kyorei.

But does anyone know where I can buy, beg, borrow or steal a set of Playing Instructions for Kyorei?

Thank you very much.

Gene
oldmanriver@alltel.net

#2 2008-01-11 13:22:00

amokrun

Re: PLAYING INSTRUCTIONS FOR KYOREI?

Gene wrote:

But I'm trying to teach myself Kyorei and Hon Shirabe, and I have a great set of Playing Instructions for Hon Shirabe.  Plus I have two dissimilar sets of notation for Kyorei.

But does anyone know where I can buy, beg, borrow or steal a set of Playing Instructions for Kyorei?

If you are willing to pay for it, why not take a couple of lessons? I'm sure that one of the people on this forum who offer Internet lessons could help you to learn the piece. It's not that difficult and you should be able to cover it within a reasonable amount of time if you already have the basics of playing covered. This also ensures that you understood things correctly. It is very easy to get written instructions wrong in a critical way without really noticing. Qualified teacher could point this problem out to you easily. Furthermore, you'd also learn things about the piece itself apart from how it is played. From what I've understood, this piece is slightly different depending on who taught it to you. I find that learning the lineage and history of a given piece is a good thing.

#3 2008-01-11 13:23:15

marek
Website

suidan - one phrase - full breath

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#4 2008-01-12 01:00:52

jamesnyman

Stan Richardson has a set of CD instructions for playing various honkyoku. Kyorei is the first honkyoku in the set. It also includes Choshi/Hon Shirabe. The Instructional CDs are available individually. They are very good, especially for those without access to a teacher. Check out his website.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#5 2008-01-12 01:18:26

baian

wow .this is like old times . I remember Genes kyorei questions from the shakuhachi mail serve list before this forum became popular.Is the kyorei you have the one on this page ?

http://www.shakuhachi.cz/en_rec.html

#6 2008-01-12 10:43:32

Zakarius

Before taking Internet lessons, I spent a year working through a few pieces on my own. Aside from a fingering chart and clear (though slightly simplified) notation, the key for my learning was critical listening to the pieces recorded by someone playing from the same notation. I'm not sure how much variation there is in Kyorei, but if you get Hon Shirabe down you ought to be able to closely follow a Kyorei recording with your notation.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#7 2008-01-12 13:08:18

Gene

Thank you very much jamesnyman.  I went to Stan Richardson's web site at http://www.stanrichardson.com/index2.html but there was nothing there about any teaching CDs.  However, I've written to him, thank you very much again.

And yes, Baian, I'm right back where I was several years ago.  I started out great guns with the shakuhachi, but then had to make trips to 12 hospitals and 17 physicians, and, being away from the shakuhachi for all that time, I lost almost everything I had learned.  But I'm back again now.  Older, but more enthusiastic than ever.  And yes, that URL you posted is one of the sets of notation which I have for Kyorei.  But I'd still like to find Playing Instructions for Kyorei; they help a lot.

And thank you, Zakarius for your input, and I agree wholly.  I've studied music as a hobby all my life; took piano lessons every week for twelve years.  And I play many instruments.  But, just for an example, I also taught myself how to play the Great Highland Bagpipes by listening to recordings and reading the music along with listening.  It's easy to cheat and pretend to play the pipes, but to play them properly is extraordinarily difficult. Right up with the shakuhachi.   But, when my family and I bought a home up in the Highlands of Scotland and moved over there a couple of years, the Pipe Major of my pipe band said I was the best piper he had.  And I don't say this as a boast, but merely to illustrate that even an extraordinarily difficult instrument can be mastered, if necessary, without a teacher.  I also taught myself the chello, 5-stringed banjo, and other difficult instruments. 

However, I am also currently corresponding with regard to taking monthly lessons by tape or computer.

Thank you very much again.

Gene Neill
Mayo, Florida

#8 2008-01-12 13:27:50

jamesnyman

On Stan's website got to "Mujuan Dojo" then to "Lessons", you will find the CD Lessons listed there. They are $30 each or $250 for the set of ten.

#9 2008-01-12 13:29:09

jamesnyman

#10 2008-01-12 13:54:07

Gene

Oops - sorry - I didn't look deeply enough!

Thank you very much!

Gene

#11 2008-01-12 16:21:09

Horst Xenmeister
Shiham
Website

Gene wrote:

But, when my family and I bought a home up in the Highlands of Scotland and moved over there a couple of years, the Pipe Major of my pipe band said I was the best piper he had.  And I don't say this as a boast, but merely to illustrate that even an extraordinarily difficult instrument can be mastered, if necessary, without a teacher.  I also taught myself the chello, 5-stringed banjo, and other difficult instruments. 

Gene Neill
Mayo, Florida

Trading pipe und Chello lesons for shakuhachi leson, bier und wurst? Com to Folrida.

Last edited by Horst Xenmeister (2008-01-12 16:23:44)

i am horst

#12 2008-01-12 17:51:35

Gene

Come on over Horst!

Und bring der bier und wurst!

We'll get along just fine!

Gene

Board footer