Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-17 07:44:46

amokrun

Which muscles help when playing shakuhachi?

I've started to exercise in a more goal-oriented way lately and focused on the areas that I have problems with or those that generally do not get to do much work in everyday life. Since playing is rather important for me, I wanted to ask for some advice. Which muscles and areas are generally the ones that do the most work in playing shakuhachi? Facial muscles, in my experience, develop best through playing. Besides, I can't exactly think of any ways to develop them otherwise. I assume that both the muscles in the back and the muscles in the chest area are important for pushing out air and generally controlling the air flow. Are some parts of the chest/stomach area more important than others and if so, what sort of exercise do you do to train them? I've been doing lots of both inclined and declined bench presses with dumbbells and found that those work really well for the chest region.

I'd love to hear what sort of exercise everyone does, especially regarding shakuhachi playing. Any exercises that you have found to be helpful with playing are very much welcome.

#2 2008-01-17 09:15:10

Zakarius

Re: Which muscles help when playing shakuhachi?

edosan wrote:

I do a dozen labial push-ups.

I don't have one of those, so I can't say whether it helps or not... but I like to use those hand grips... you know, the foam-padded metal rods with a tight spring. I find that they're especially good for improving finger strength & endurance which is quite useful on longer flutes and/or faster articulation.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2008-01-17 09:30:10

amokrun

Zakarius wrote:

I don't have one of those, so I can't say whether it helps or not... but I like to use those hand grips... you know, the foam-padded metal rods with a tight spring. I find that they're especially good for improving finger strength & endurance which is quite useful on longer flutes and/or faster articulation.

Yeah, we have a couple of those at work. I tend to use them whenever I'm bored. It is nice practice since it can be done at almost any time because it's not so difficult that it requires a whole lot of concentration.

#4 2008-01-17 09:38:56

marek
Website

Hi,

for wrists and arms I propose fire chains(or juggling chains).
I cannot really say I juggle with these regularly, but I have tried it several times and recently when my wrists were painful I felt immediate relief. And whats particularly important to me, it was fun not an excercise.

Regards,

Marek

Last edited by marek (2008-01-17 09:39:36)

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#5 2008-01-18 03:37:06

Alex

Jon Shingetsu wrote:

I'll hopefully have the simple stretches and things that pulled me back from bad martial arts posture and tennis and golfer's elbow up on my blog soon and I'll post a link on the forum since there seems to be a lot of questions concerning the body, which there should be.

Please do! Some of us are in bad need of some of that! smile

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

Board footer