You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Links
  •  » Finnish shakuhachi website at shakuhachi.fi

#1 2008-01-23 06:16:09

amokrun

Finnish shakuhachi website at shakuhachi.fi

After a fairly long planning stage, one of my dreams is now starting to become reality. Ever since I started playing I have wanted to put together a resource for shakuhachi players in Finland. It can be tough to get started in here because of lack of easily accessible teachers. I'm hoping to do my part in changing this.

Ever since few minutes ago, this resource went online. Naturally it is very much work in progress at this point. The front page is just a random link collection at this point and is only available in Finnish. The whole page will be done in both Finnish and English as well as other languages if I get around to do more translations. Areas covered include getting started here, buying the right equipment, finding a teacher and so forth. I will also include any tools and such that I made for myself once they are in good enough shape to be offered to others. I'm working on translating many resources that I find useful into Finnish. Thank you to everyone who gave me a permission to use their work.

I'm hoping to make most of the content available within the next few weeks or so. A lot of it is already done but you just can't find it yet. I'll post updates here to let you know when there is something worth checking out. Please note that although this site exists to help the people in Finland, it will certainly be useful to others as well. I have some plans for various online tools which should prove helpful to anyone regardless of nationality.

Without further ado, welcome to www.shakuhachi.fi.

#2 2008-01-23 07:00:21

Alex

Re: Finnish shakuhachi website at shakuhachi.fi

Hey Amokrun,

That's great! Congratulations on having the strength and determination to start such a project.

Precisely, I sent my student Shakuhachi a month ago or so to a very dear Finnish friend who lives in Helsinki. We used to jam together with our guitars and we had such a great connection that since I picked up the Shakuhachi I dream we will be able to blow together some day and keep on exploring new textures, feelings and sound qualities.

I don't know how he is doing at the moment but I will let him know about your webpage; I'm sure it will be a great source of knowledge and inspiration, and maybe more importantly, it will show him he's not alone!

Thanks again for your efforts and enthusiasm

Salud!

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#3 2008-01-23 16:01:44

graham in oz

G'day as we say in Australia

this looks very nice and english version would be great when you get to do it - well done..

Ill return later and see how its progressing.

Graham Ranft

Ps Ill include the link in the next Australian Shakuhachi Soc [ASS] newsletter!

gasshos

#4 2008-01-23 19:22:36

amokrun

Thank you everyone. I'm hoping to get most of the stuff that I want to put there online soon enough. I'm starting with the Finnish pages because the underlying system still needs a few tweaks to make multi-language system work nicely. Everything, and I mean everything, is made from scratch by me. I approach computer stuff the same way as most artists approach art. As a side note, this is more or less why I don't really try to pursue computers as a career anymore.

I just finished a bunch of articles on all sorts of things and made a rough category setup to start with. Everything can and will change before this can be considered to be completed. I will keep moving things around as I get a better idea of which direction I want to take with this. In the meantime I try to make things as accessible as possible.

I would like to again thank everyone who took part in this in one way or another. Several people have agreed to let me translate their writings into Finnish and include them on the site. Only after translating those texts did I realise how much work they put into writing all that in first place. Then there is a certain wonderful moderator from this forum who allowed me to use some of his pictures and even went through the trouble of looking through his archives for more images. I don't think we thank the people running this forum nearly enough.

One final note. As I said, I'm trying to translate all sorts of useful resources into Finnish. I just finished going through the tips that Nyokai has on his site. If anyone knows of any useful resources that  might be useful, drop me a note. So far everyone has been very open to the idea even though I can't currently afford to pay for the rights to use those materials. I think I have already spent the price of a decent shakuhachi on this and that doesn't include my time, hardware or any other such costs. Then again, if even one person finds shakuhachi because of this, I think it's money well spent. With any luck he'll become a grand master quickly and then he can teach me so that I can cut on my travel expenses and break even.

• Index
  •  » Links
  •  » Finnish shakuhachi website at shakuhachi.fi

Board footer