World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-24 15:25:37

James Nyoraku Schlefer
Dai Shihan
Website

Shakuhachi for 2nd graders!

Shakuhachi residency in Durham, NC Public School.

Japan Foundation and Duke University partner to present a unique public elementary school shakuhachi teaching residency.

Each day next week for five hours, the sound of shakuhachi will be heard in the 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms of the Club Boulevard Humanities Magnet School in Durham, North Carolina. James Nyoraku Schlefer's week long residency will teach the children not only about the shakuhachi but also how to play it.  The residency is possible through a grant from the Japan Foundation and through the outreach program of Duke University's Asian/Pacific Studies Program. The curriculum for the week includes hands-on shakuhachi practice (the school purchased plastic beginner instruments,) learning shakuhachi music notation, the history of the music and Zen Buddhist meditation, and strengthening basic music skills. In addition the kids will learn about Japanese culture, study a few written and spoken words, hear stories, and create dances to traditional music. The residency culminates with a public performance on Friday afternoon. The Club Boulevard School is located at 400 West Club Boulevard, Durham, NC. Phone: 919-560-3918

#2 2006-02-24 15:51:32

Bogert

Re: Shakuhachi for 2nd graders!

That's great, I wish I could have done something like that when I was a kid.  We played recorders at my school.  Have fun with that.
                                                                                                                   Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#3 2006-02-24 18:22:47

Lady B Lotus

What a blessing for the children! This is great news! Thank you for the information and for introducing them to this beautiful instrument. What time is the public performance next  Friday?

#4 2006-02-25 10:25:08

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Lady B Lotus wrote:

What a blessing for the children! This is great news! Thank you for the information and for introducing them to this beautiful instrument. What time is the public performance next  Friday?

Good work James! You are the man!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-03-03 19:18:54

Lady B Lotus

I really enjoyed the performance by the children and Sensei!! They did a GREAT job and had a lot of fun sharing what they learned this past week. I had a lot of fun watching them with the Shakuhachi *smile* and the dance by the 3rd grade class! Everything was wonderful!

I hope you can work with more children here in Durham again. I enjoyed the 2 solos as well. Arigato!

Board footer