Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-27 02:47:46

amokrun

Making my first flute.

Today at work I came across a couple of bamboo sticks. They are quite thin and might work for something like 1.4 or below. I just picked one up on random, figuring that it was in the best shape of the bunch. I didn't measure it or anything because I never expected to get a sound out of it. I have no experience with any sort of tools whatsoever apart from some simple woodwork at school back in the days.

My tools were a bit limited since I basically had one blunt saw, one very rough straight file and a ton of iron pipes of various lengths from really thin to really thick. I figured that the komuso most likely didn't have that much and so I should do just fine. I started by cutting a piece so that I had a little bit of extra at both nodes and a grand total of four nodes. Since I had no tools to easily remove the inner nodes I figured that I'd stick to that particular setup as it left me with two inner nodes that might be close enough so that I could use a screw driver or something to take them out. At this point I had no idea what length my flute-to-be was.

I first removed the two end nodes by hammering a nail through them until the whole thing was gone. I used a file to finish the job to some degree. The inner nodes were tougher but I managed to break them with a thin iron wire that was tough enough to not bend. Few hits with it did the job although I had no control over what happened inside. Too bad I don't have a file long enough to get the rest of the nodes out. Air seems to be going through, however, and the nodes are almost gone.

I filed an utaguchi on the flute after everything else was done. I could kind of play it even without utaguchi but adding that detail made all the difference. I first tried to make one with a saw but that didn't work at all. File worked much better and gave me something that at least looks roughly right. I was hoping to use the belt sander but unfortunately I was stuck with a guessing the correct angle with my not-so-great file.

The utaguchi came out too deep but I couldn't help that given that the bamboo was pretty thin at that part. On the other hand, it actually works just fine and Ro can be bended quite a bit. I tried Otsu no Ro, Kan no Ro and Kan no Chi and they all worked to some degree with no strange sounds or such.

What surprised me was that although I picked the length completely at random based on the distance between four nodes, I ended up with almost precisely 1.8 piece of bamboo. I was about 0.5cm over 1.8 but the other end still has about that much to remove. Then again, I believe my bore size differs somewhat from reference 1.8 and thus the pitch of Ro isn't exactly D. It is close enough, however, that playing it now feels much like playing a normal 1.8. This was what clued me in at first because blowing Otsu no Ro felt somehow familiar.

So far I have a semi-functional flute with no finger holes. I'll drill those in a bit to see what happens. I can't do a whole lot of tuning with no tools or materials to use but I figured that it'd be nice to see how well this thing turns out. I'm completely amazed that it actually produces a sound that is no worse than many flutes that I've tried. I also need a chin rest or at least I have to sand that edge as it is currently pretty rough for the chin.

I'll try to post pictures once I get home.

#2 2008-01-27 04:22:01

amokrun

Re: Making my first flute.

Of course, not too long after posting that the whole flute turned into matchwood. Note to all aspiring makers, drilling is the hard part if your bamboo has thin walls and you don't exactly have the best drill in the world. I got the first two holes in just fine but the third one made the whole bamboo crack right through all the holes. The flute kind of still worked but it would have been nearly impossible to drill more holes. I used the rest of the length to practice drilling. While bamboo seems to be very resistant to bending and such, especially thin bamboo cracks very easily if you simply crush it. I found it tricky to get the piece to stay still for the drilling without actually splitting it in half.

Seems like my next stop is somewhere where they sell plastic pipe. It should be a bit easier to work with since it's practically impossible to break it. It does annoy me a bit that this piece cracked since it turned out very nicely up to that point. With three holes done I noticed that the flute played nicely, even if it was slightly flat.

#3 2008-01-27 07:19:40

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Hi Amokrun... 

I don't know if you are using an electric or a manual drill. I can surely say that a good option is to burn the holes until you get good in your drill attempts... I like more the manual drill... No noise, no haste, a really zen interaction between our movements and our friend, the receptive bamboo. Some people say that it's to slow, but it's not truth. It's really fine,  we didn't spend electric power and we can make the tool rotate as we want, slow, fast... But aside the tool you use to drill, do not make excessive pressure against the bamboo when making the holes, because if it doesn't crack the bamboo, will make some ugly excoriations on the skin of the bamboo... 
I think that soon you will play on a new born bamboo baby flute, been born with the help of your hands...It's gratifying...

Peace

Henrique

Omnia mea mecum porto

#4 2008-01-27 07:23:31

Windom

The drill bit is crucial. I split my first three bamboo flutes with an "all-purpose" bit, but when I started using a lip and spur bit, I had no more splits.

(http://content.answers.com/main/content … p_spur.jpg)

#5 2008-01-27 07:38:11

amokrun

Windom wrote:

The drill bit is crucial. I split my first three bamboo flutes with an "all-purpose" bit, but when I started using a lip and spur bit, I had no more splits.

(http://content.answers.com/main/content … p_spur.jpg)

I'm certain that a better bit would have made all the difference. I didn't have a whole lot to work with but wanted to give it a go anyway. The combination of not attaching the bamboo piece properly, using a hand-held drill and having a bit that wasn't meant for anything like that finished the job. The bit wasn't very sharp either. At one point I hit some sort of strange layer at one part of the bamboo which I couldn't drill through properly at all. It looked a bit like a branch area would look in wood even though the surface of the bamboo wasn't unusual at that point.

I'll have to give this another go a bit later. First I figured that I'd work on some plastic to get the feel for the different phases. Decent plastic flute shouldn't sound any worse than poor bamboo flute and I might even pick up a trick or two for the upcoming event.

#6 2008-01-27 07:38:43

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Yes it's really important the kind of drill you use... As said above, the "all purpose" drills do not make gradual enlargement of holes as the a lip and spur bit...

Omnia mea mecum porto

#7 2008-01-27 07:58:26

amokrun

Musgo da Pedra wrote:

Yes it's really important the kind of drill you use... As said above, the "all purpose" drills do not make gradual enlargement of holes as the a lip and spur bit...

Another problem was that this particular bit had no sharp tip of any kind. In other words, it was very hard to get it to stay still because the bamboo surface was slippery. If I had to do it again, I'd go for something with a small tip that would sink into the surface enough that the drill wouldn't move all over the place. Or, I might just walk over to the classroom full of actual drills of all sizes that would solve most of these problems instantly.

Working with this makes me wonder how people did this back when this kind of stuff didn't even exists. Makes me respect the ancient komuso flutes that much more. Not like they had the Internet where they could nicely check the reference numbers for hole placement.

#8 2008-01-27 09:44:19

Musgo da Pedra
Website

And the komuso should respect those men who blew into a tube in ancient times...

As living beings we should respect the human kind for getting to transmit their ideas through the generations... If we are attentive, we should respect and learn with all the nature, who gives the more beautiful music to us. Birds, dogs howling for the moon, the rain, the wind... 

Of course the improvements were gotten through exchanging ideas when the need of improvement  appeared. The first flute made by men probably was not the better one... Through the chat, the people made improvements in their needs... For example if we make the hole very close one to another, we do not have great definition of intervals, and this would generate the NEED of improvements with relationship the this subject. 

The internet are creating a lazy generation, but also a friendly generation who doesn't hide the knowledge, but seeks to enlarge it through the chat and it discusses of ideas. I think that it is a long theme for discussion and I do not want to do so... We are all searching for peace isn't? With or without words here on earth... 

I can say that I'm very glad for I can feel you close to me Amokrun, and also all the people with who we can share the love and the things we love...

Peace my friend...

Omnia mea mecum porto

Board footer