•  » Flutemaking
  •  » Shakuhachi Design, N. Zink, Booze, Injection Molding and Speculation

#76 2008-01-29 13:59:37

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: Shakuhachi Design, N. Zink, Booze, Injection Molding and Speculation

Lorka wrote:

that would be awesome, as I have been only playing the solitary, alone path.  Shaman141 also lives in montreal (south shore), is a very decent guy, and has given me a couple of pointers in person.  I didn't know you worked in montreal.  I do too (for the time being), up on Pins around McGill. 

Will the Dojo include shakuhachi?  How long does it take to get to St-Jerome by public transport? Practicing in a Dojo would be incredible.

I work Downtown and do the night shifts from Thursday to Monday Morning from 22:00 to 8:00 AM. As far as transport goes coming to St-Jerome when there is no traffic takes 30 to 45 minutes and by Bus will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

The Dojo is due to open in March and it will be a Suizen Dojo since the emphasis will be put on Shakuhachi since I dont believe in Shovelling Buddhism down people's throat. We are now working on it and it will be a nice Traditional Japanese room to practice with with all the bells and whistle Tokonoma Tansu Japanese walls and woodwork  Samurai armor etc...

The Dojo was supposed to open this summer but we decided to speed it up and finish it for march mainly due to the fact that the Canadian Japanese Cultural Center was supposed to rent us a room so that I could introduce people to Shakuhachi but they pulled the plug on it at the last minute saying that it was more viable to cram in there more people for their Japanese clases becuase it was going to pay more than Shakuhachi.

The Dojo will be able to hold 5 to 7 people for Zazen or Shakuhachi so it is not too big just perfect size considering the fact that we dont think too many people will be interested in this stuff.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#77 2008-01-29 14:05:55

Lorka

Gishin, you just made my day with your post.

I am actually very interested in learning zazen, and shakuhachi of course, and would be very honoured to come to the dojo.  I am afraid I am ruining this thread, so please forgive.  May I email you please, to talk about it in more detail?

Matt

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#78 2008-01-29 14:12:13

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Lorka wrote:

Gishin, you just made my day with your post.

I am actually very interested in learning zazen, and shakuhachi of course, and would be very honoured to come to the dojo.  I am afraid I am ruining this thread, so please forgive.  May I email you please, to talk about it in more detail?

Matt

PM sent!

Sorry everyone for the interruption!

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#79 2008-01-29 22:58:32

Josh
PhD
Website

No interruption at all!  I love to see the formation of the growing shakuhachi world. I live in Japan and things are pretty set, so it's interesting for me to see people actively building the shakuhachi community outside of Japan. Good luck Gishin with both the Dojo and gaining support from the powers that be.

#80 2008-02-03 05:56:11

Tono

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/Bambootup/OZ1.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/Bambootup/OZ2.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/Bambootup/OZ4.jpg
Many, many thanks, Ken, for your forum and insights.   I am at the beginning of the path and you, with all your eloquence, sensitivity, intelligence, intuition and humility, have arrived full circle to the sound of the highest order within bamboo.  A twister that defies science.  The Zink plays well on most counts outlined in Nyokai's helpful "Tips: Buying a New Flute", though nowhere near the feel of good bamboo.  It sounds similar, but does not reverberate as complexly, the feel of sound upon this heart.  Still, it is fun to play and would make an effective club against dissenters.  smile  I am sorry to add confusion and division upon this academic debate.  What are the right questions, Sensei?

Resonance, sensitivity, ease of blowing, power, acceleration, clarity and balance of tones all come into play.

Essentially, I regard shakuhachi as a tool whose true gift and greatest value can be accessed on one of these simple flutes <meditation/beginner> as readily as on one of the most expensive and aesthetic of instruments.--Monty H. Levenson

The piece Ajikan on this album is exactly the same recording found on Japanese Masterpieces for the Shakuhachi (Lyrichord 7176) which was the first shakuhachi I had ever heard and ...played on a plastic flute. So, the "true spirit of bamboo" is indeed a mystery of many facets. --Monty H. Levenson

Music is the Idea itself, unaware of the world of phenomenon.-- Samuel Beckett (player-right?)

Blowin' in the wind at the right time regardless of place.--Dr. Bob Johann

What's the big Idea?--Curly

Last edited by Tono (2008-02-04 07:51:46)

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Shakuhachi Design, N. Zink, Booze, Injection Molding and Speculation

Board footer