Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-30 21:02:24

amokrun

Cutting a wooden flute in half. What tool to use?

I'm thinking of giving flute-making another try. However, instead of using poor quality bamboo or going with plastic I figured that I'd try to use wood. Wood has the advantage of looking and feeling better than plastic and perfectly good wood is available everywhere whereas even decent bamboo is hard to find around here.

I believe most makers who use wood simply use some kind of tools to cut a long, straight hole into the wood. As the result of this most wooden flutes are almost entirely straight. I would prefer to try making them more curved than what a straight bore allows. Because of this I can't really use that method for making the bore. Not that I'd have the tools for it anyway.

The second best way I can think of is to cut the whole thing in half. This has the added advantage that the flute itself can be shaped in almost any way because you can always cut it in half and just carve a bore there. I'm sure it'll be plenty difficult to actually carve the bore right if the flute is very curved but I'll hope that some divine inspiration hits me when I get to that point. At least working on the bore should be easier since it's already in two pieces.

The question is, what sort of saw should I use? From prior experience I'm thinking that using a manual saw is out because it'd take forever to cut through a long piece of wood and I don't think it would be the most accurate cut if done like that. Some kind of machine would be nice. On the other hand, the line has to be slightly curved depending on the shape of the flute itself. The blade cannot thus be very thick or it won't turn easily enough.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

#2 2008-01-30 22:04:20

gmiller

Re: Cutting a wooden flute in half. What tool to use?

Hello Amokrun - I would suggest a band saw; the kerf would be thin and the pieces would join up perfectly (provided you left them intact). Additionally you can shape the bore to suit, tape the parts together, test the the whole thing and adjust as needed..... nice project.

gm

#3 2008-01-30 22:08:39

edosan
Edomologist

Use a band saw with a fence attached to the table of the saw.

For this to work accurately, the piece of wood must be flat on one side (toward the table) or made temporarily flat by attaching
a couple pieces of wood to it to keep it straight and level as it goes through the saw.

The fence assures that the cut is straight and down the center of the piece.

After the cut is made, you'll need to smooth the two sawn surfaces so they fit together again seamlessly. Sandpaper taped with
double-sided tape to a flat surface works well for this.

You can often find band saws at the wood shops of universities, or you can find a local wood shop and hire it done. If you do all the
thinking and prep work, it shouldn't be expensive. In fact, do several--there is usually a set-up charge for adjusting the saw to take
the material.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2008-01-31 06:28:40

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Amokrun,

amokrun wrote:

I'm thinking of giving flute-making another try. ...
I believe most makers who use wood simply use some kind of tools to cut a long, straight hole into the wood. As the result of this most wooden flutes are almost entirely straight....

Shakuhachi made from wood in Japan have tapered bores like root end shakuhachi. The makers use a set of tapered reamers hollow out the wood.

The second best way I can think of is to cut the whole thing in half. This has the added advantage that the flute itself can be shaped in almost any way because you can always cut it in half and just carve a bore there. I'm sure it'll be plenty difficult to actually carve the bore right if the flute is very curved but I'll hope that some divine inspiration hits me when I get to that point. At least working on the bore should be easier since it's already in two pieces.

This is how many modern Native American Flutes are made. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

You can search the web for how the NAF is made. Or, maybe one of the NAF makers here can offer suggestions.
Good luck and let us know what happens!
- Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2008-01-31 06:32:02

amokrun

edosan wrote:

You can often find band saws at the wood shops of universities, or you can find a local wood shop and hire it done. If you do all the thinking and prep work, it shouldn't be expensive. In fact, do several--there is usually a set-up charge for adjusting the saw to take the material.

Using one is not such a big problem. I work at a school during weekends and we have a couple of these there that nobody uses. There is a ton of other tools as well, so I figured that I should check it out during next weekends. So far I've mostly used them to do some small repairs and some work-related projects.

I'll have to give this a try. I have a decent idea of how this might work but I'm sure that the first couple of projects turn into huge disasters. For now I'm happy to just aim for a flute that has a bore and which can be used to blow Ro at whatever frequency it turns out to be.

#6 2008-01-31 06:45:26

amokrun

Yungflutes wrote:

Shakuhachi made from wood in Japan have tapered bores like root end shakuhachi. The makers use a set of tapered reamers hollow out the wood.

Interesting. However, wouldn't this only work for as long as the bore is at least somewhat straight? I somehow can't see it producing very curved bores. For example, if we take a look at the Yuu, the bore in it is basically straight all the way until it gets to the root. After that it suddenly makes a rather steep turn and becomes straight again until the end. In other words, the bore is not really curved but rather looks a bit like letter L since there is a clear corner near the bore. I'm assuming that most wooden flutes come out something like that as well.

If possible, I'd love to try to make the bore follow the shape of the flute to some degree. With carving the bore, it doesn't really matter much even if the flute curves 180 degrees as long as you can somehow get the two halves apart. I'm also thinking that it should make working on the bore easier because you can just take the flute apart and work on any area you like. The downside is having to somehow hide the seam in the finished product. I'll have to see how bad it looks when it gets done.

Yungflutes wrote:

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Will do. First I need to locate some suitable pieces of wood. Too bad it's winter now as during the summer I could have just walked outside and picked up something. Frozen logs aren't the most optimal materials to use.

I'm hoping to do as much of this without power tools as possible. The cutting part seems to be tricky enough that I'll do it on a machine but the rest of it I'm hoping to do the good old way with a knife and a file. It may take a while but thankfully I'm not in hurry to get this done.

#7 2008-01-31 09:01:59

edosan
Edomologist

I suggest starting with a wood such as poplar (also known as boxwood). It's not extremely dense (a bit denser than pine),
but it has very even, consistent grain and is easy to carve and work. Also quite stable and doesn't tend to warp.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#8 2008-01-31 09:16:47

Musgo da Pedra
Website

amokrun wrote:

I'm hoping to do as much of this without power tools as possible. The cutting part seems to be tricky enough that I'll do it on a machine but the rest of it I'm hoping to do the good old way with a knife and a file. It may take a while but thankfully I'm not in hurry to get this done.

It's really gratifying and when we made things in the old way, without power tools, we really feel closest to nature... Power tools have excessive power!!! Are aggressive in my point of view. 

When I started to make my flutes (first side-blow then started on shakuhachi) I was using powered tools... As the time passed, I change them for manual tool... We can use them anywhere even if there doesn't have eletricity. It's really a nice way to do whatever we do... A good flute or a closet to store our tools! 

A big hug. 

Peace

Omnia mea mecum porto

#9 2008-01-31 16:49:49

mrosenlof

If you google on "irish flute" and something about flutemaking, you'll probably find a whole bunch of stuff about reamers and the various techniques used to make these.  I've seen info on how to make reamers from hacksaw blades and wooden dowels.  You don't get a long-lasting tool that way, but you can get something to experiment with. 

Not a technique for curved bores, but another option to try/consider...

Mike Rosenlof

#10 2008-01-31 17:33:14

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

amokrun wrote:

Yungflutes wrote:

Interesting. However, wouldn't this only work for as long as the bore is at least somewhat straight? I somehow can't see it producing very curved bores. For example, if we take a look at the Yuu, the bore in it is basically straight all the way until it gets to the root. After that it suddenly makes a rather steep turn and becomes straight again until the end. In other words, the bore is not really curved but rather looks a bit like letter L since there is a clear corner near the bore. I'm assuming that most wooden flutes come out something like that as well.

The bore of the Yuu is first cast with a straight bore. Then the bottom is reamed and has a cone with the bottom bore shape inserted or recast to go along with the curve. You can see the seam at the bottom if you look closely. Wooden flutes are all straight but with the proper taper and choke point below #1.

It seems it would be easier to make a straight bore with a proper choke point and then cut and rejoin the flute where you want the curve to be.
Just a thought.
Peace, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#11 2008-01-31 19:35:30

gmiller

Almost all NAF's are made by cutting square stock down the length, routing out, sanding, finishing, etc the bore and re-joining the two halves; then turning down to a round shape....; there are reamers, but as I understand, these are custom made tools. Boring a shaft through end-grain is no easy task......
This thread began as a desire to "try flute making, again".... Why re-invent the wheel? Buy an inexpensive, neglected flute from ebay and invest your energy into making it into something good..... It doesn't make any difference what we start with; no one can make a decent shakuhachi without a sound understanding of the bore dynamnic and bore design...... So, why not start with something that's part way there?....

#12 2008-01-31 19:44:10

amokrun

gmiller wrote:

This thread began as a desire to "try flute making, again".... Why re-invent the wheel? Buy an inexpensive, neglected flute from ebay and invest your energy into making it into something good..... It doesn't make any difference what we start with; no one can make a decent shakuhachi without a sound understanding of the bore dynamnic and bore design...... So, why not start with something that's part way there?....

For the most part, I don't care so much about making a good flute. I'm doing this mostly to better understand what is involved in making a flute. I doubt I'll ever be able to make anything that can be used to play a piece. Then again, that is not really my goal. I had fun working on that bamboo stick even though it didn't last all the way. Starting from a nearly completed flute would skip the first steps whereas the early steps are the interesting part for me. I find getting from nothing to something more interesting than getting from something to something good.

As far as wood goes, it could be an interesting material because, just like people living in Japan back in the day, I could actually walk into the forest next to my house and pick up a piece of wood to use as material. Sure, it's not going to be the best flute. However, it'll be something I made myself using materials available to me. I was never good at any sort of crafting, most likely because I never really put any effort into it, and so I'm hoping to go back and see what I missed.

#13 2008-01-31 21:01:07

Musgo da Pedra
Website

amokrun wrote:

For the most part, I don't care so much about making a good flute. I'm doing this mostly to better understand what is involved in making a flute. I doubt I'll ever be able to make anything that can be used to play a piece.

I think that if you keep trying to make some flutes, they probably will get better even... I believe that  you can make good flutes if you want... And can also get all or some part of understanding that you are searching for. 

: {p

Omnia mea mecum porto

#14 2008-02-02 06:33:32

amokrun

Something that I happened to think of while going through a box of scrap wood we have here at work. Cutting a block of wood in half requires some serious equipment. However, wouldn't it basically work just as well to use two blocks of wood which are roughly the same size? I could basically sand and file the pieces so that they can be glued together and then carve half a bore into each piece. Doing it this way would basically require nothing but a knife for carving, some sand paper and a file for smoothing things out and finally a simple drill for making the holes. This would simplify the process quite a bit even though the carving part would get more difficult.

As far as I can tell, the biggest problem with using two different pieces of wood instead of splitting one is in getting them to fit together. I'll have to see how well this would work. Another problem is more cosmetic. The pieces, once glued together, would not really look like one solid piece of wood because the texture of the wood would be entirely different. I don't consider this to be a major issue and  it shouldn't even make a difference if the flute gets painted or otherwise covered in something that hides the natural surface of the wood.

What do you think? Would using two halves instead of cutting one piece work? I don't really mind the extra work in getting the pieces to fit together. I'm trying to make this process require as few tools as possible and stick to simple things. Doing it this way would require no power tools at all as far as I can tell.

#15 2008-02-02 19:50:29

Rayofwind

Amokrun
Using two different halves would allow you to have fun with different color woods. I have listened to the comments made and many are good. The key thing I keep hearing you say is the final product is not as important as the process/enjoyment of making the flute.
Centries ago (sometimes today) flutes were made by dreamers like you. Good flute makers have vision, drive, passion, but most important wisdom to see the joy of doing is better than just watching from the side lines. Enjoy each step and have fun. If you wish please post a picture of your final product. Ray

#16 2008-02-02 20:05:29

jaybeemusic

one thing to keep in mind that different woods expand/contract at different rates with regards to humidity, and the flute will warp, if not separate completely.  I'm a guitar maker and i must keep this in mind whenever i join different woods.  if you're using the same wood though....you should be alright.   

Jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#17 2008-02-03 00:01:03

amokrun

jaybeemusic wrote:

one thing to keep in mind that different woods expand/contract at different rates with regards to humidity, and the flute will warp, if not separate completely.  I'm a guitar maker and i must keep this in mind whenever i join different woods.  if you're using the same wood though....you should be alright.

Yeah, I figured that using two entirely different types of wood would cause problems in the long run. I guess I'd have to make a few and see what happens to them. Since I'm mostly working on scrap wood and things I happen to pick up, odds are that the two pieces will be of the same wood at least for now. It doesn't help that I'm the last person to tell two types of woods apart. My girlfriend went to a school where they had to learn about different types of trees and such. I would always annoy her by calling everything "green" because it all looked green to me.

Most of my test blocks came from the scrap wood container at my work place. Apparently most of the pieces came from same type of tree. It worked nicely with the exception that since it was fairly hard wood, carving the surface was a bit tougher than I imagined. Getting the basic shape of the exterior didn't take too long but adding details like fake "nodes" was a bit tougher. I was using a rather dull knife so I'm sure that using a smaller and sharper blade will do the trick. I've used all sorts of detail knives in the past and found those very useful for creating tiny details on the surface of various materials. Couple of years ago I made some candles to people for christmas and carved various calligraphy poems on them.

A small hint to all aspiring makers of wooden flutes. I found one tool to be invaluable in getting the basic exterior shape done. I have no idea what these are called in English (or any other language for that matter) but it's basically like a hand plane except that the blade is in the middle and it has handles on both sides so that you can keep taking slices off of the wood. The blade is adjustable so that you can make it do more or less precise work. Using this to carve the extra wood off at first speeds up the process a lot. I used it to turn a simple square block into a rough flute shape by carving away stuff so that the root end was considerably thicker than the rest of it. Only after the block looked almost like a flute did I start using the knife to add details to it. This dropped the time it took to make the basic shape from maybe an hour to little more than a minute or two. I'm trying to keep the amount of tools to minimum but I'm really tempted to use one of these in future.

#18 2008-02-03 09:41:08

edosan
Edomologist

Sorry, Matti, but in order to truly enter the spiritual realm in this endeavor,
all carving and shaping must be done with bare hands and fingernails.

eB

[BTW: That tool you mentioned is called a spokeshave.]

Last edited by edosan (2008-02-03 09:44:49)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#19 2008-02-03 09:50:11

amokrun

edosan wrote:

Sorry, Matti, but in order to truly enter the spiritual realm in this endeavor,
all carving and shaping must be done with bare hands and fingernails.

Would teeth be acceptable? Of course, the truly enlightened simply blow hard enough that a hole forms into a piece of wood. After that it's a simple matter of staring at the stick for a while until it curves up just right.

#20 2008-02-03 12:35:32

edosan
Edomologist

amokrun wrote:

Would teeth be acceptable? Of course, the truly enlightened simply blow hard enough that a hole forms into a piece of wood. After that it's a simple matter of staring at the stick for a while until it curves up just right.

Touché, and deep bows of respect  smile

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#21 2008-02-03 18:55:07

Rayofwind

While you are using mind power, have termites make the bore.

#22 2008-02-04 17:14:45

EricSwain

Try using 4 pieces of wood when your making the flutes. Its easier to get the sides to fit together and if you use a dowel clamping the pieces after glueing works pretty well.

You were describing a large plane. I use a small handheald one to rough shape the outside of the wooden shakuhachi I have made. The only real problem I have had making this type of flute has been getting the 1/4 rounded arc right for the inside of each of the pieces. I normally just get close and then sand the inside round.

I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how.

#23 2008-02-05 00:34:57

jumbuk

Interesting thread.

Have you considered trying balsa wood?  very light and easy to work with.  It would require a good coat of sealer to finish (probably many coats).

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

Board footer