Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-02-06 17:54:06

bob q

Somedays i just can't get it...yet

I was a full time professional magician, had been for 27 years. Also part time writer of short stories and plays, oh and yes I was also keen blues guitarist, fingerpicking and bottleneck. The 6 years ago I was hit with a diagnosis of Parkinsons Disease.

I now work in the field of community health where I run a series of programmes that help people living with chronic conditions have the life they want. I keep my symptoms down to minimum by exercise, relaxation, mindfulness meditation. My guitar playing is not what it was, and I somehow stumbled across the shakuhachi addiction.

bought an earth model 1.8 from perry yung (who oozes humanity and a unique willingness to help) for my Christmas and recently bought a 1.7 80 year old model....been appraised by Perry.

I live in southern Scotland and need help to find a teacher in lowland scotland or northern england.

I can barely get a sound at present.

Cheers all,

bob q

#2 2008-02-06 20:09:57

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Somedays i just can't get it...yet

You might query Clive Bell, who lives in London:

clive.bell[at]tesco.net    (not certain if this address is current).

And Kiku Day, who is a moderator on this Forum (also located in London).

kiku[at]kikuday.com

It's possible they may know of someone near you.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-02-07 10:27:04

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Somedays i just can't get it...yet

Hello Bob, Thanks for your kind words.
The shakuhachi came to me through my artistic life but quickly moved over to the spiritual side. As I grew as a shakuhachi musician, I also felt my spirituality deepen. It wasn't about Buddhism or meditation, or even Zen (although I do have my feet wet here). I can only say it was about an individual discovering a passion for something that was always challenging yet unconditionally supportive and nourishing with each small step.  A drop of advancement on the shakuhachi is like a dip in an ocean of discovery.

I think that an internet lesson will be good for you. I'm sure any of the teachers here can help you with your embouchure.

Thanks my friend. Have a great new year of the Rat! - Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2008-02-07 10:29:03)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer