Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-12 08:38:06

amokrun

Where to keep your tongue?

This has been something I've been trying to figure out since I got started. I've written, I believe five or so posts about this and then cleared them before posting. I always thought that my head must be shaped wrong or something. When I play, I usually keep my tongue on top of my lower teeth so that it gently touches the lower lip. There is no tension involved as the tongue just gently rests there. During the last month or so I've been trying different ways of blowing so that I could better tell what way is the best for me.

I always figured that this is something that nobody else does. It was very natural for me from the beginning and still much easier than the other ways are. Then I happened to read an old, old message from Nyoraku who describes this exact way of blowing and talks about how he was working on moving away from it. It seemed really amusing since at the same time I was practicing my blowing while keeping my tongue at the bottom of my mouth.

I'd like to get some opinions on this. Is it absolutely certainly definitely wrong to keep your tongue on top of your teeth? The disadvantages listed in the message were playing too flat and the sound being unfocused. At first I had the problem with playing flat as well. I worked on that for a while and now I can bring my pitch somewhat sharp if I want to. I think this problem in my case was more tied to not blowing strongly enough rather than being flat because of the tongue. Getting my lips together more tightly and especially getting the blowing technique right made all the difference here. It takes some attention to not blow flat, naturally, but I have a crooked back that pushes me to lean forward if I forget to pay attention anyway.

I'm also not entirely convinced about the problem of focusing. Sure, my blowing is still plenty unfocused at times. I feel, however, that this issue is more tied to once again not blowing strongly enough and not being able to focus the air stream into a tight jet instead of a wide blast. After a bit of practice and some warming up I can make a reasonably focused sound. These couple of years have taught me that what is "after a bit of warming up" today is easy stuff in a few months.

Do post your feelings on the topic. I'm practicing to blow in different ways partially to improve my muscle coordination but I'd like to know if keeping my tongue on my teeth is something that I absolutely should not do ever again or if it is acceptable to blow like that if it works. There may be something here that I simply haven't run into yet and so I'd love to get an advance warning if necessary.

#2 2008-01-12 10:32:32

Zakarius

Re: Where to keep your tongue?

amokrun wrote:

When I play, I usually keep my tongue on top of my lower teeth so that it gently touches the lower lip. There is no tension involved as the tongue just gently rests there.

I always figured that this is something that nobody else does. It was very natural for me from the beginning and still much easier than the other ways are. Then I happened to read an old, old message from Nyoraku who describes this exact way of blowing and talks about how he was working on moving away from it. It seemed really amusing since at the same time I was practicing my blowing while keeping my tongue at the bottom of my mouth.

I'd like to get some opinions on this. Is it absolutely certainly definitely wrong to keep your tongue on top of your teeth? The disadvantages listed in the message were playing too flat and the sound being unfocused. At first I had the problem with playing flat as well.

This is indeed an interesting question and I had to pick up one of my flutes to experiment to see what I actually do with my tongue when playing...

I typically have my tongue on the bottom of my mouth. I tried shifting my tongue forward to rest atop the bottom teeth and there was no change in pitch or tone color. However, for muraiki, I curl my tongue on the sides and have the tip touch the palette. For louder/hollow tones, I lower my jaw, push the tongue down and back, and try to open my throat up as best I can.

Now that I think of it, I can't help but wonder whether there's some trick with the tongue to get more solid Tsu dai meris (which I can never seem to get low enough).

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2008-01-12 13:58:13

graham in oz

Tongue position is worth experimenting with.

Yes it is possible to play flatter/more meri with tongue.

Also if you raise tongue or arch it  the breath stream will become more confused
giving you a breathy unfocussed sound which is sometimes used in various styles of playing.

also see:

http://www.kotodama.net/shakuhachi/tips.html

2002  april /may

2001 august

2000 nov

1997 several

these tips are always worth revisiting from time to time.

:-)

graham in Oz

#4 2008-01-12 16:14:00

Horst Xenmeister
Shiham
Website

Tongue sasage=zungenwurst.

Zungenwurst good, Landjäger better.

Bratwurst best way.

Last edited by Horst Xenmeister (2008-01-12 16:14:47)

i am horst

#5 2008-01-12 18:57:30

rpowers

Horst Xenmeister wrote:

Tongue sasage=zungenwurst.

Zungenwurst good, Landjäger better.

Bratwurst best way.

That would be cast bore bratwurst?

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#6 2008-01-13 11:29:25

Yooper

Illustrations in Koga's book show the tongue touching the back of the lower lip.

"Simple and artless."

#7 2008-01-13 12:55:21

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Yooper wrote:

Illustrations in Koga's book show the tongue touching the back of the lower lip.

And over the teeths to play the higher registers...

Peace

Omnia mea mecum porto

#8 2008-01-13 13:26:55

edosan
Edomologist

To quote directly from Koga-sensei's book (Shakuhachi - Japanese Bamboo Flute, his basic primer):

"Tongue Position

It is very important to have the correct tongue position.

If you play with your tongue rolled back, it is difficult to make a sound, and the quality of the sound will be too breathy.

To produce a sound which is smooth, the tongue should be flat on the bottom of your mouth with the tip touching the top
of the lower front teeth [emphasis mine]."

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2008-01-14 08:58:14

Musgo da Pedra
Website

edosan wrote:

To quote directly from Koga-sensei's book (Shakuhachi - Japanese Bamboo Flute, his basic primer):

"Tongue Position

It is very important to have the correct tongue position.

If you play with your tongue rolled back, it is difficult to make a sound, and the quality of the sound will be too breathy.

To produce a sound which is smooth, the tongue should be flat on the bottom of your mouth with the tip touching the top
of the lower front teeth [emphasis mine]."

eB

Yes this is right... 

We are not talking about personal opinions, so if we stay on Koga's teaching, we will see on page 76 of the same book refer above, that he says: "push the tongue about 3mm forward [the picture explaining this shows the tongue over the teeth after do that] and slightly raises the jaw then you will obtain a high register note." 

Let the river keep flowing... while we blew and learned... 

Peace

Omnia mea mecum porto

#10 2008-01-14 16:12:37

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

The tongue acts as a rudder to push air this way or that, so, if you put it on the left side the air will be pushed to the right ans vice-versa. In this way, it may also aid you in working with a bad habit. If the muscles are stronger on one side than the other, try blowing with the tongue on the strong side to direct the air the opposite way and get help push the muscle out that you're pulling back to strongly with. I won't go into the little variants of tongue position as you should try them yourself. however, I think we can generalize and look at 4 different areas.

Tongue up front: some people put the tongue out over the teeth just a bit as it is very helpful in getting high notes. It restricts the space for the air to go out of the mouth, at the same time causing higher air speed and sharper focus to a smaller "sweet spot". So, the high notes are easier. For the same reasons it's also good for driving the note out the end of the flute.

Tongue in the middle of the mouth, not touching upper or lower but maybe touching the teeth in the back. This is sort of a genric position, not one of specialization and used by most playrs as a default placement. It allows the air to go around the tongue on all sides, Lt., rt. up & down.

Tongue in the back: the curled back position is for playing a note that you're not driving out the end of the shakuhachi strongly. For ex.: the note ee. (the note played with all the holes open, or some variant with the #1 & # 2 holes). This note exists mostly in the upper 4 inches of the shakuhachi and the mouth & throat. Curling the tongue back makes the throat open more. Used alot by Yokoyama sensei for this note.

Tongue jambed behind the teeth: forces air to go upwards and makes a broad flow out. Good for very wide ended flutes. Also used alot by Yokoyama sensei for these type of flutes.

These are 4 general areas. You should experiment and see how the position effects the air flow and sound. You should consider these as suggestions. They should be a useful start for you. Try them and other positions and trust yourself at least as much as what someone says in a book or on the internet! Ha Ha!

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#11 2008-01-15 05:16:18

amokrun

chikuzen wrote:

Try them and other positions and trust yourself at least as much as what someone says in a book or on the internet! Ha Ha!

But... but... the people on the Internet are my heroes!

Thanks for the informative post. Haven't really thought about it that way before. I always saw my tongue as something that I should just put somewhere so it gets out of the way. So far I've been mostly using it to tighten the space near the lip opening so that it becomes easier to get the air to move quickly. For low notes like Ro I just pull it back slightly. Blowing while keeping the tongue completely out of the front of my mouth feels quite strange for me. I'll have to keep on practicing that so that I can eventually take advantage of moving my tongue around more.

#12 2008-01-15 06:30:29

radi0gnome
Website

amokrun wrote:

I always saw my tongue as something that I should just put somewhere so it gets out of the way. So far I've been mostly using it to tighten the space near the lip opening so that it becomes easier to get the air to move quickly. For low notes like Ro I just pull it back slightly. Blowing while keeping the tongue completely out of the front of my mouth feels quite strange for me. I'll have to keep on practicing that so that I can eventually take advantage of moving my tongue around more.

Here's a thought. Robert Dick, an extremely good silver flute player and teacher, says to vocalize the note you're playing into the flute. He calls this throat tuning. The theory is that your mouth and throat are part of the resonant system that affects the sound. So, by practicing vocalizing the note you're playing, when you stop vocalizing and play normally you've trained your mouth and throat to be a more efficient part of the entire system and your tone should improve.

This is advanced stuff because the changes in the mouth and throat for each note are small and to train yourself to make those changes without singing takes practice. However, I'm going to take it a step further and simplify the idea to address the issue about tongue placement. Try singing a note without the flute and see where you place your tongue. A trained singer will normally place the front of the tongue low. Try it this way even if it's not natural for you. Now, while singing the note try moving your tongue to place it on your bottom teeth as you say you do when you play shakuhachi. The tone of your voice will change very noticeably. Even though the mouth and throat are part of the resonant system in flute playing as Robert Dick says it is, it is not the most important part of the system so the change in tone isn't quite as noticeable when you move your tongue while playing flute. I can hear it however, and even though it's a small change, it's still that much more resonant when the tongue is low. It's kind of funny though, to place my tongue on top of my bottom teeth when playing feels completely unatural and I've never really tried it before. Even though it's a bit less of a resonant sound and I normally wouldn't want to play like that, it is an additional sound coloring that can be used. To me, this kind of stuff is very cool.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#13 2008-01-15 06:52:47

amokrun

radi0gnome wrote:

Here's a thought. Robert Dick, an extremely good silver flute player and teacher, says to vocalize the note you're playing into the flute. He calls this throat tuning. The theory is that your mouth and throat are part of the resonant system that affects the sound. So, by practicing vocalizing the note you're playing, when you stop vocalizing and play normally you've trained your mouth and throat to be a more efficient part of the entire system and your tone should improve.

My father used to play trumpet. I borrowed his old notes a while ago and went through them. There was a lot of interesting stuff there about creating sound, breathing and so forth. The idea of singing out notes was also mentioned there. The notes basically listed sounds that you should try to visualize while blowing different notes. It helped me to get the feeling right, especially as far as throat goes.

radi0gnome wrote:

It's kind of funny though, to place my tongue on top of my bottom teeth when playing feels completely unatural and I've never really tried it before. Even though it's a bit less of a resonant sound and I normally wouldn't want to play like that, it is an additional sound coloring that can be used. To me, this kind of stuff is very cool.

My best guess is that this depends on your anatomy. My head is relatively large (as in, it's fairly difficult for me to get a hat anywhere that fits) and my chin is in different position than most pictures I've seen when I place the shakuhachi next to my mouth. Moving my tongue to the top of my teeth so that it lightly touches my lower lip helps me to lean my lower lip against the tongue. If I keep my tongue at the bottom of my mouth I end up having to hold the shakuhachi with the end raised quite a lot to even get the utaguchi anywhere near my mouth. I'd either have to blow from rather far away (not a good idea) or tilt my head down quite a bit (again, not a great idea). I'm not really sure how to play normally with my head straight and my tongue at the bottom of the mouth while at the same time having my lips near enough to the utaguchi. I'll just have to keep on training my lower lip muscles so that I can push the lip forward on its own and keep it steady.

#14 2008-01-15 16:56:26

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

It sounds like you guys are making hay while...never mind, this is the midwest. If you "sing" or rather "chant" the sounds then I think it will effect your shakuhachi notes more. If you chant the vowels especially..the strong 'O'of RO, the U of Tsu, the E of RE, it will teach you to open your throat more and sing from your gut. After doing this 10 times, then play the note and see how it effects your playing. How do you sing Hi and dai Kan? Remeber, any one position will have a peak in effectiveness and that's it. Beyond that it's a dead end.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#15 2008-01-15 17:11:19

amokrun

chikuzen wrote:

How do you sing Hi and dai Kan?

Tough one. When my girlfriend tries to sing along to get her sound going, she usually tries to throw stuff at me when I do Dai Kan sounds. I suspect that throwing stuff or trying to cover your ears is the way to sing those notes.

chikuzen wrote:

Remeber, any one position will have a peak in effectiveness and that's it. Beyond that it's a dead end.

Good point. Right now I'm practicing different ways of blowing. It is very difficult for me at this point to change techniques quickly in middle of playing. Trying to make dramatic changes usually goes nowhere and thus I'm stuck doing things in the one single way I can. It really bothers me because I have no real problems with this technique but I'd also like to know that I can do things differently. Being stuck with one thing makes me wonder if it's just that some parts of me are more developed than others. I'd like to think that my lower lip especially isn't working anywhere near as effectively as it should and that, together with the problem of getting my chin to the right place for other ways of blowing is really hurting me in the long run.

#16 2008-01-15 17:17:53

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

TONGUE IN CHEEK SHAKUHACHI:
    Try this one: while playing a note role your tongue around in your cheek, over the front and to the other cheek pressing outwards so you see the bulge in your cheek. But don't let the sound get cut off.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#17 2008-01-15 17:27:01

amokrun

chikuzen wrote:

Try this one: while playing a note role your tongue around in your cheek, over the front and to the other cheek pressing outwards so you see the bulge in your cheek. But don't let the sound get cut off.

I wonder if it is a bad thing that I seem to be able to play just fine by placing the tip of my tongue against my cheek on either side, roughly 1cm further away from the point where my lips meet. Sound tends to easily jump to Kan as I move my tongue from the middle to the side but it becomes easier to control again once it gets past the lips. In fact, Ro was pretty nice and round as my tongue was pushing my left cheek rather strongly. And yet, I can't blow a single note if I take my tongue away from that side of the mouth and just drop it at the bottom of my mouth.

Some days I get this feeling that some things aren't meant to be understood.

Okay, stupid question to everyone. When you play, do you cover part of the end of the shakuhachi with your lower lip, chin or whatever? I mean the part where ikigaeshi would be in longer flutes. Playing around while poking my cheek with my tongue, I noticed that I can play just fine for as long as I cover part of the hole with my lip. Problem being, should I move my tongue away I can no longer do that because I simply cannot jam the flute deep enough into my chin.

#18 2008-01-22 02:20:11

radi0gnome
Website

amokrun wrote:

chikuzen wrote:

I wonder if it is a bad thing that I seem to be able to play just fine by placing the tip of my tongue against my cheek on either side, roughly 1cm further away from the point where my lips meet.

Since it's tough for me to do, I'd imagine it's a good thing. The more stuff you can do as far as changing what's going on in your mouth the more changes you can get in the sound. You must have a very developed embouchure. I can't do the tongue in cheek exercise, the sound stops as I move my tongue over my lip to the other cheek.

amokrun wrote:

Okay, stupid question to everyone. When you play, do you cover part of the end of the shakuhachi with your lower lip, chin or whatever? I mean the part where ikigaeshi would be in longer flutes. Playing around while poking my cheek with my tongue, I noticed that I can play just fine for as long as I cover part of the hole with my lip. Problem being, should I move my tongue away I can no longer do that because I simply cannot jam the flute deep enough into my chin.

I'm not in the best position to answer this because I don't take lessons, but the end of the shakuhachi gets covered with the bottom of my lower lip. I can get sound with it lifted higher, but it gets sharp (kari?) and a little windy, too high and  lose the sound. From what you said earlier in this discussion about not wanting to bend your head or hold the flute too horizontally I'm starting to suspect you're pushing your bottom lip with your tongue to make a seal because you're not positioning the shakuhachi correctly. I understand what you're saying about bending the head down, I do, but it makes sense that it's not a good thing to do because it restricts breathing some. I checked the players on youtube, and it looks like most of them hold the shakuhachi closer to horizontal rather than letting their head bend down much.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#19 2008-01-24 13:56:51

amokrun

radi0gnome wrote:

I'm not in the best position to answer this because I don't take lessons, but the end of the shakuhachi gets covered with the bottom of my lower lip. I can get sound with it lifted higher, but it gets sharp (kari?) and a little windy, too high and  lose the sound. From what you said earlier in this discussion about not wanting to bend your head or hold the flute too horizontally I'm starting to suspect you're pushing your bottom lip with your tongue to make a seal because you're not positioning the shakuhachi correctly. I understand what you're saying about bending the head down, I do, but it makes sense that it's not a good thing to do because it restricts breathing some. I checked the players on youtube, and it looks like most of them hold the shakuhachi closer to horizontal rather than letting their head bend down much.

Thing is, I can't figure out any other way to do it except to push my lip forward a little bit. I'm not sure if it is because of my chin or something else but I simply cannot get the shakuhachi close enough otherwise. Even holding it horizontally places the utaguchi too far from the lip opening. Trying for a more realistic angle simply takes the utaguchi so far away that the best I can get is to make the windy sound of air going through the flute a bit more focused. I'm pretty sure that it's not a matter of blowing harder or in more focused way because without a flute I can blow plenty hard enough and the air stream is quite narrow. If I keep that and bring the flute near my lips the chin rest collides with my chin so early on that it's basically impossible to make a sound. It is also not a problem with hitting the utaguchi because I can easily enough narrow it down to the correct spot by tilting the flute back and forth. At no point is there any sort of clear sound at all. Pushing my lower lip forward a bit allows me to make a sound instantly and it's clear and focused. Letting my lip drop back to its original position kills the sound right there.

I've been working on this every since I started playing over two years ago. I often practice blowing without using my tongue for many hours without stopping. Needless to say, not once have I gotten a single sound like that and we are looking at countless hours of trying nothing but different positions. I'd like to think that if it was physically possible, I would have gotten lucky by now. Last couple of weeks I've spent several hours every day with my lips stretched as much as possible to train the muscles around them. That didn't help at all with blowing normally but at least I can now keep my lips more firm then using my tongue as a support.

I'm pretty much out of ideas as to how to fix this. I don't think that home-made chin surgery has a very good chance to succeed. Once I can find some plastic pipe, I'll try to make a shakuhachi with a more severe chin rest. If I can blow something like that it would seem to suggest that the problem is indeed in getting the flute close enough rather than my blowing or lip position. Any ideas are very much welcome.

#20 2008-02-12 14:38:42

FumblingZen
Website

I don't remember who taught this to me, but trying to visualize that you have a ping-pong ball in your mouth has always hepled me, especially when I start losing tone.

Charles

The sword is sharp, but the will must be sharper. - Inoue

Board footer