World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-02-10 13:02:31

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

REGARDING FOUR OPENINGS LEFT FOR 2008 JAPAN TOUR

This trip had been officially closed until recently when a family of 4 had to drop out. . We now have 4 openings again in our small ten person Tour.

My trips to Japan are at least once or twice a year, and have been taking place annually since 1980.  My Tours are the oldest of all of the Shakuhachi Tours - as well as the least expensive. They are 17 days long, and have always been "all-inclusive" (food, transportation within Japan, R/B, admissions, etc.). The price remains at $2,950- , not including  airfare. I would be happy to book your airline reservations.

We will have (as an option) unlimited Shakuhachi lessons with myself and with Kurahashi Yoshio Sensei, as well as visits to one or two Shakuhachi makers, but much of the trip will be visiting Historic and famous sights of Japan. We will getting an intimate glimpse into Japanese Culture and Japanese people. Non-Shakuhachi related people will also enjoy this trip. Here is a brief synopsis of the trip. Please contact me for a detailed daily Itinerary or for further information about this trip at: <nyogetsu@nyogetsu.com> , or call me at: 917-207-6724):

TENRI TOUR APRIL 4- APRIL 20, 2008 -- ITINERARY

Friday, April 4, 2008 -- depart around noon from JFK Airport in New York (or from another airport) -- arrive at Tokyo's Narita Airport on Saturday afternoon -- fly by small jet to Itami Airport in Osaka -- ride a commuter bus into Tenri City, a beautiful village in Nara Prefecture, the spiritual home of the Tenrikyo religion, and co-sponsor of the tour

5 days in Tenri -- while acclimating to the time change, listen to presentations about the history of the Tenrikyo religion -- tour the main sanctuary of Tenrikyo -- shop in the Hondori shopping arcade, where you can find great deals on traditional Japanese clothing -- visit Iso no Kami-jingu (the oldest Shinto shrine) and walk along Yama Nobe no Michi (the oldest mountain road in Japan) -- tour Horyu-ji (one of the oldest Buddhist temples in Japan) -- spend a day in Nara, visiting the Nara-koen (a city park with bowing "sacred deer"), the Nara National Museum of Art, and Todai-ji (a Buddhist temple and largest wooden structure in the world, containing the largest bronze Buddha) -- accommodations are provided at one of the many Tenrikyo pilgrim dormitories

4 days in Kyoto -- take a commuter train into the ultra-modern Kyoto Station -- have shakuhachi lessons with Yoshio Kurahashi-sensei at his home in Rashomon, near the famous Toji pagoda -- visit Meian-ji (the temple where shakuhachi playing was developed) -- meditate in the beautiful rock garden of Tofuku-ji -- visit Sanju sangendo (the temple of 1,001 Kannon statues) -- tour Kiyomizudera (the famous mountainside temple with a balcony on stilts) -- marvel at the beauty of Katsura Rikyu and Shugaku-in (two imperial villas) and Heian-jingu (a large Shinto shrine) with their exquisite gardens -- buy souvenirs at the Kyoto Handicrafts Center -- spend a day in Uji (the village where the tea ceremony was developed), buying tea, witnessing a demonstration of the ceremony, and touring Byodo-in (famous for its Phoenix Hall, as featured on the 10-yen coin) -- accommodations are provided at a Tenrikyo branch temple

5 days in Tokyo -- ride the Shinkansen ("bullet train") into Tokyo -- stroll along the Ginza, partaking in the gourmet delicacies of the food stalls at Mitsukoshi department store -- attend a 5-hour performance of the grand Kabuki-za -- stare in awe at the bright lights of Shinjuku (Tokyo's night-time entertainment district) -- spend a day in Kawasaki City at the Nihon Minka-en (an outdoor museum of traditional houses and architecture) -- travel to Kamakura to admire the Dai-Buttsu (the largest outdoor bronze Buddha) and to climb the endless stairs of Hasadera temple -- visit the home and studio of Sadao Chinone (a famous shakuhachi maker) in Hitachi City -- accommodations are provided at a Tenrikyo grand temple near Asakusa (the bustling shopping district, famous for its Kaminari-mon ("thunder gate").—We will also visit an Onsen (Hot Spring) near the Pacific Ocean.

During the tour , you can get as many Shakuhachi lessons as desired!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 -- depart from Tokyo's Narita Airport, arriving back in New York around noon the same day (because of the International Dateline)

Last edited by Nyogetsu (2008-02-10 13:04:31)

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#2 2008-02-12 05:53:50

Mike
Website

Re: REGARDING FOUR OPENINGS LEFT FOR 2008 JAPAN TOUR

I was on this tour in April 2007 (together with my wife), and I can say that it was a fantastic experience!!!!!
Unfortunately we cannot go again this year, but we are doing our best to make it possible for one of next years.

We took more than 1200(!) pictures on this tour. You can take a look at almost all of them on my TENRI TOURS 2007 webgallery:

TENRI TOURS 2007 - Japan Web-Gallery of Mike and Ela (Michael und Michaela)

http://www.nyogetsu.de/images/Fotosneu4.gif

I wish I would have found this instrument much earlier in my life. But I didn´t know that I was searching for it all those years.

http://www.myspace.com/mikeshakuhachi

#3 2008-02-12 17:00:03

axolotl
Website

How many lessons did you squeeze in, Mike?  That tour sounds amazing.

#4 2008-02-13 04:07:11

Mike
Website

Eric,

there was no need to 'squeeze in' the lessons. Everything worked fine and easily. Daily lessons with Nyogetsu were possible, as well as daily lessons with Kurahashi Sensei for the time in Kyoto. As I mentioned, my wife - who does not play shakuhachi - was there with me, and even this didn't cause any organizational problems while, for instance, I was enjoying a lesson with Kurashi Sensei in his house in Kyoto.

Mike

I wish I would have found this instrument much earlier in my life. But I didn´t know that I was searching for it all those years.

http://www.myspace.com/mikeshakuhachi

Board footer