You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-19 20:08:29

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

"WWW.SHAKUHACHIFORUM.COM PVC SHAKUHACHI MAKING COMPETITION"

Message to shakuhachi makers:

Pursuant to numerous recent discussions incorporating this topic the brain trust at www.shakuhachiforum.com are pleased to announce the "WWW.SHAKUHACHIFORUM.COM PVC SHAKUHACHI MAKING COMPETITION".

This is a FUN smile competition for the COOLEST pvc shakuhachi presented by the contestants.

Rules: Must be made of PVC, any length is OK, must have 5 holes and tuned to a minor pentatonic scale.

Winner will be announced in Sydney at the time of the intenational shakuhachi festival 2008 in Sydney. The reason for that is so the judges can get together and look at the entries together and discuss them. The festival will be our next opportunity to be together. Judges will be Tairaku, Mujitsu, Perry Yung and several players/teachers TBA depending upon who shows up at the festival.

The following will be the selection criteria:

1. Tone
2. Playability/tuning
3. Aesthetics

We will judge these aspects on a scale of one to ten and add up the scores to decide the winner.

Prize will be $300 USD and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin for the best overall flute. Runner up will receive a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin. All entries will remain in the archives of www.shakuhachiforum.com. This means we will not be returning your flutes to you but will store them for future generations of researchers and historians. And to play them!

We will post photos and detailed reviews of every entry on www.shakuhachiforum.com.

Send your entries to:

BRIAN TAIRAKU RITCHIE
Salamanca Arts Centre Space 227
Hobart, Tasmania 7004
Australia

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2008-01-20 00:10:48

amokrun

Re: "WWW.SHAKUHACHIFORUM.COM PVC SHAKUHACHI MAKING COMPETITION"

Tairaku wrote:

Rules: Must be made of PVC, any length is OK, must have 5 holes and tuned to a minor pentatonic scale.

Just a slight clarification request. Do you generally consider it to be acceptable to use other artificial materials as well, such as something like modelling putty to create a thicker root section into the pipe? How about different types of plastic? Is this more like "make a shakuhachi out of something that isn't bamboo/wood" contest? I would like to try to go crazy with this and see how far it takes me but I'd hate to break the spirit of rules in doing so.

Apart from that, this sounds like a good enough excuse to finally start working on this. I have a couple of cool ideas in mind.

#3 2008-01-20 07:26:13

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

amokrun wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Just a slight clarification request. Do you generally consider it to be acceptable to use other artificial materials as well, such as something like modelling putty to create a thicker root section into the pipe? How about different types of plastic? Is this more like "make a shakuhachi out of something that isn't bamboo/wood" contest? I would like to try to go crazy with this and see how far it takes me but I'd hate to break the spirit of rules in doing so.

Apart from that, this sounds like a good enough excuse to finally start working on this. I have a couple of cool ideas in mind.

PVC only. The reason is to create a level playing field.

#4 2008-01-20 16:32:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

www.shakuhachiforum.com brain trust says main material must be PVC but it's OK to use other materials for secondary details such as the utuguchi inlay or to decorate the flute. But PVC should be the material which acts in place of the bamboo.

#5 2008-01-21 17:44:43

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

shakuhachiforum.com brain trust

Is that anything like a 'think tank'?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#6 2008-01-21 18:43:06

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

shakuhachiforum.com brain trust

Is that anything like a 'think tank'?

It's more like "the Mafia". Ken, Perry and myself get on Skype together and conspire about which direction to push the forum participants this week. wink

#7 2008-01-21 19:20:25

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

It's more like "the Mafia". Ken, Perry and myself ...

My regards to the Don.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#8 2008-01-22 12:24:36

chuck091956
Website

Is there a cut off date for submissions?

Chuck Peck

#9 2008-01-22 15:37:01

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

chuck091956 wrote:

Is there a cut off date for submissions?

Riley says he wants to make this an official event of WSF '08. Therefore we will be judging them at the festival. So just make sure we have them by the Fest!

#10 2008-01-24 14:50:20

TC

The Don has made an offer I can't refuse. 
My new avatar shows four Hanko of makers that I like.   Monty, Perry, Shingetsu and Schedule 40.

#11 2008-02-29 14:07:08

mopish
Website

ive got two really nice sounding 542mm d flute's one pvc sch.40 and the other pvc sch.80,Thing is i dont have a tuner yet. But the good ear runs in the family,i dunno''how do i send one to you for judging? im curious! smile

Board footer