Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-02-22 17:21:04

ejevan

Difference between ha and go no ha?

Hello everyone,

Is there a difference between ha and go no ha?  They are notated with different symbols, but it seems to me that they are actually the same note.  Is this the case?

Thanks very much,
Eric

#2 2008-02-22 20:39:09

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Difference between ha and go no ha?

Eric,

Here are the Ha and Go no Ha that I'm familiar with:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5124/hagonohazz9.jpg

Ha: shade 2 and 4, crack 5, slight meri. Pitch is C (near the top of the first octave).

Go no Ha: Meri (how much depends on the octave) and crack 5. Pitch is D (top of first octave or top of second octave).

Pitches are for 1.8, natch.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2008-02-22 21:02:16)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-02-22 23:54:36

Lorka

that's pretty cool ed!!!

do you have slides like that for all the notes?  I honestly did not know what either of those notes were, but the slides helped to clarify.  I am going to run now and try and make those notes... well, I will have to be quiet, as it's almost midnight

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#4 2008-02-23 01:58:20

edosan
Edomologist

Be sure to compare the pitches of the two fingerings to other known pitches, ie:

Ha = Ri

Go no Ha = Ro kan (or Ro dai kan, in the case of the Go no Ha played an octave higher).

The charts I took those fingerings from can be found here:

http://www.japanshakuhachi.com/gettingstarted.html

David Sawyer's website, JapanShakuhachi.com. The charts are well down the page, but read the whole
thing; it's quite well done.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#5 2008-02-23 11:44:13

ejevan

Thanks, folks for the interesting feedback on this (to me) confusing subject of how to play these two notes.  I've been confused about this because in the Masayuki Koga book he gives the fingering for go no ha as follows: thumbhole halfway open and all the other four holes totally closed, played meri.  In staff notation Koga shows this note as corresponding to a high D.

However, what is confusing to me is that in Tanaguchi's book he gives the fingering for ha as follows: thumbhole opened just slightly and the other four holes totally closed, played meri.  In staff notation Tanaguchi shows this note as also corresponding to a high D!   

It would seem to me that based on the feedback I've received from the other players on this forum, and also on the two books that I have consulted, there are differing opinions among shakuhachi teachers about (1) what note ha or go no ha should correspond to, and (2) the fingering to be used for these two notes.  Does anyone have any further comment on this that might help me to resolve these differences?  Is either Koga or Taniguchi inn error in their books?

Thanks very much!
Eric

#6 2008-02-23 11:51:25

ejevan

Maybe part of the confusion has to do with kan vs. otsu.  In Taniguchi's book he shows ha as only being played in the kan register.  But in Koga's book he shows ha as being played only in otsu.  I'm not sure what's going on.  I think I'm still confused on this issue.

Eric

#7 2008-02-23 20:14:18

radi0gnome
Website

ejevan wrote:

However, what is confusing to me is that in Tanaguchi's book he gives the fingering for ha as follows: thumbhole opened just slightly and the other four holes totally closed, played meri.  In staff notation Tanaguchi shows this note as also corresponding to a high D!

I don't know anything about notation, but that fingering makes sense to me. With all holes closed it's hard to jump up into the next register, so you crack open the thumbhole a little to make it easier. But, cracking the thumbhole open also raises the pitch some so you have to correct with a little meri.

In that David Sawyer tutorial he has that note labeled as Go No Ha in Kan. I'll leave it to you guys to sort out what should be called what, I'm already happy I learned something from this thread.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#8 2008-02-23 23:00:50

edosan
Edomologist

ejevan wrote:

... in the Masayuki Koga book he gives the fingering for go no ha as follows: thumbhole halfway open and all the other four holes totally closed, played meri.  In staff notation Koga shows this note as corresponding to a high D.

However, what is confusing to me is that in Tanaguchi's book he gives the fingering for ha as follows: thumbhole opened just slightly and the other four holes totally closed, played meri.

No errors here, just more typical shakuhachi confusion (this is what Chikuzen and I have hopefully established in a phone conversation this night):

In the Koga book, at least the one I have, there is no Ha in his fingering chart, only Go no Ha, pitch of D, top of second octave (note #66 on his chart). [ejevan, please let me know the number of the one you are saying is Ha in Koga's chart, if you think I'm off here.]

In the Tanuguchi book, the Ha (page 7, upper right) is indeed the same pitch as Go no Ha, pitch of D, top of second octave, but Chikuzen believes it's just the name a different sect has for Go no Ha (but who knows, could be an error--there is a HUGE amount of honkyoku information distilled into Taniguchi's book). In any case, forget about it.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5124/hagonohazz9.jpg

Stick with this: The Ha shown here is almost invariably used as a grace note, preceding Ro Kan--in a figure called 'Ha-Ro'. It's a common convention in Kinko Honkyoku (for example, it begins the fifth line of Honshirabe).

Go no Ha is almost invariably used as one of the fingerings for the pitch D, top of second octave (you could also call it Ro dai Kan). It makes little sense to use that fingering for the D at the top of the first octave because it is essentially identical in sound to Ro Kan. I'm hardly the last word on this, but I've never seen it used in that way, so forget about it. Wizened ones, please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

I've often had a vague sense of unease about this issue, and about the time I get it set straight in my own mind, someone else encounters it, and I've got to get to rustling papers and demystify it for myself again--hopefully for others as well  smile.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2008-02-23 23:01:20)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#9 2008-02-24 01:41:17

Zakarius

edosan wrote:

Stick with this: The Ha shown here is almost invariably used as a grace note, preceding Ro Kan--in a figure called 'Ha-Ro'. It's a common convention in Kinko Honkyoku (for example, it begins the fifth line of Honshirabe).

Go no Ha is almost invariably used as one of the fingerings for the pitch D, top of second octave (you could also call it Ro dai Kan). It makes little sense to use that fingering for the D at the top of the first octave because it is essentially identical in sound to Ro Kan. I'm hardly the last word on this, but I've never seen it used in that way, so forget about it. Wizened ones, please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Only having a couple of bamboo years under my breath, I didn't feel I should post a response. However, your above description is how I think of the two notes as well... <keeps fingers crossed that it's not a mistake>

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#10 2008-03-02 12:16:15

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

De-mystified EDO-san,
    You're constantly shrouded in mist but getting dry shouldn't be hard in Utah. Although I can see clarity in your thus mistyless explanation you remain a mystery only wise Buzz (EDO-san's dog)can decipher.

The note explanation is right on.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#11 2008-03-02 13:17:42

edosan
Edomologist

chikuzen wrote:

De-mystified EDO-san,
    You're constantly shrouded in mist but getting dry shouldn't be hard in Utah. Although I can see clarity in your thus mistyless explanation you remain a mystery only wise Buzz (EDO-san's dog)can decipher.

The note explanation is right on.

Not to put TOO fine a point on it, but Buzz passed into the great void 4 years ago; the current sidekick is Buster  smile

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6564/buster02em6.jpg

Nonetheless a mystery, however....

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

Board footer