Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-03-08 19:42:40

Caligium

Recommendations on instruments

Well, I love guitar and shakuhachi but I like playing lots of instruments. Does anyone know an instrument (from anywhere) that no one has really heard of and meets these requirements:

A range of 3 of more octaves
Has a strong/relaxing/clear tone
Isn't very hard to play (without a teacher)
Under $300
Won't be hard to transport (I go out of the country almost every summer)

Last edited by Caligium (2008-03-08 19:48:12)

#2 2008-03-08 20:04:12

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Recommendations on instruments

Throat Singing:-)

#3 2008-03-08 20:09:51

Zakarius

Though the Chinese xiao (pronounced 'syao') is far easier to play without a teacher (than the shakuhachi) because of the fipple in the blowing edge, it doesn't have 3+ octaves. A decent xiao (like a decent shakuhachi) has 2 and a half octaves. On account of the xiao's fipple an therefore greater ease in playing technique, the price for one is usually a fraction of that of a shakuhachi. Since it's also made of bamboo, it has the often encountered relaxing tone one may associate with the shakuhachi.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#4 2008-03-08 20:15:41

Caligium

geni wrote:

lol

But I'd rather have an instrument that won't annoy everyone else.

#5 2008-03-09 08:03:33

radi0gnome
Website

Caligium wrote:

geni wrote:

lol

But I'd rather have an instrument that won't annoy everyone else.

I think any wind instrument in the third octave would be annoying. I was going to suggest silver flute but if it has to be pleasant sounding in all three octaves that's not a good one either. How about a Casio or Yamaha electronic keyboard. Set it on one of the spacy sounds and you've got relaxing, being a standard keyboard it's easy to play, can have even more than 3 octaves, there are models under $300, and they're easy to transport.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#6 2008-03-09 09:30:57

marek
Website

Hi there,

I think Dan Deacon might have something to say on this topic. Check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oGMR9irekY
Check his live concerts as well! They are amazing:)

His video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFlBJ1xZK10&NR=1 is a MUST.
Beware of new visuality!

Cheers,

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#7 2008-03-10 11:49:17

costademaria
Website

hi, traveling this winter i saw a guy  at  a fire on the beach and he was playing very interesting instrument. the sound was wonderful and astonishing. he was drumming on it with hands and it was like a big metal bowl or more like a Chinese hat and the sounds were like coming from another dimension,very pleasant. unfortunately i didn't have the chance to ask him of the name and where it comes from. but may be s.b. here will know the name, cause i will like one too.

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

Board footer