Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-08 02:39:23

kyoreiflutes
Website

Practicing and the "golden moment"

Since I still haven't had lessons, haven't gotten a book, or anything, I've been practicing on my own, trying to (unsucessfully as yet) decipher shakuhachi music, listening to many recordings, and mostly making stuff up when I play. I'm always found it easy to "sound like" someone who can play...I have "licks" I can play better on some instruments than on others, but I've never wanted to master an instrument the way I want to with the shakuhachi, and I want it for spiritual reasons. ANYway...I've become more serious about shakuhachi over the last year, and so on, so I've been practicing Kyorei pretty regularily. Sometimes I'm not quite "in the zone", and have problems getting the subleties or whatnot, so I start noodling around, doing some improv. I like playing like that, but I also want to know more pieces, but I'm being patient, and I'm really going to take lessons soon, I swear. wink

Anyway, tonight I was standing in front of the mirror to watch my new embrochure, so I can replicate it easier later. I was playing kyorei, and was going okay, but I don't know the whole thing...then I decided to play Amazing Grace, and it sounded great. I then played Danny Boy, and even got up into the 2nd octave (albeit squeaky)! I was pretty excited that I got to play through the whole song without cringing about that part. Now, I don't usually play more "celtic" types of songs, but they're tunes I know, and I can play in such a way that it has that kind of generic "ullean" sound. The shakuhachi has some of the same flexibility as some Irish and Scottish flutes, at least to my ears. Maybe if I get into ethnomusicology in school, I'll change my mind, lol.

So, that was my Golden Moment of the day. I finally got through a song without worrying about kan, and felt great. it's a small step, but it's a good one.

Namaste.

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2006-03-08 16:45:16

Gitsuka

Re: Practicing and the "golden moment"

Im glad im not the only one to try and learn this way. I've been sat playing getting notes and fiddling about with notes while sat at the computer. It was until the other day i actually tried to follow a tune. It was the tune Geni made to be exact the hiphop one. I liked it and was listening to it and just started playing. I picked up the first few notes and was amazed with myself. So while im far behind your skill kyoreiflutes im just pleased to hear that your doing something similar to myself.

Oh and thankyou geni heh your tune its helping me wink

#3 2006-03-09 08:08:42

KenC

Re: Practicing and the "golden moment"

I had a golden moment just last night!  I've been blowing for about  month on my own with the help of Koga's book and CD.

Yesterday i decided to take 10 minutes and just blow Ro (as best i coudl) and try to get down to Meri.   Wow... several times i got there and the true beatiful Shakuhachi ringing tone came through!  There seemed to be a very fine line between the 2 octives when i was there though.

Board footer