Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-03-14 08:13:44

lossafunk

new to bamboo

I don't know what lead me to shakuhachi, I'd never heard one untill about 2 months ago when I decided to make one. Now here's my problem, I've made 11 so far various lengths from about 42 cm. to my latest at about 72 cm (which plays in G#). I've been using golden bamboo( Phyllostachys aurea ), I live in upstete NY, where can I get rootend bamboo?

Last edited by lossafunk (2008-03-14 08:14:35)

-gravity sucks-

#2 2008-03-14 09:06:32

edosan
Edomologist

Re: new to bamboo

Here's a possibility:

http://www.franksupply.com/bamboo_products.htm

Scroll down to the second or third item: Shakuhachi flute blanks

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-03-14 09:13:10

lossafunk

Thanks I'll give it a shot. I'm kinda nervous, about working with the rootend I mean. I don't use any power tools and drilling by hand very far and keeping straight is very hard.

-gravity sucks-

#4 2008-03-14 19:00:03

withaquietmind
Website

I've worked with a few of Frank's blanks...they are pretty decent for the price.  I'd say not to get the black bamboo, as it cracked on me pretty easily.  If you want to make longer flutes make sure you ask for the wider-bore blanks.  It does cost and extra $5 but it's better knowing you at least have the option of making a longer flute...my first flute was 81 cm and a little thin for that length.

I too cut everything with only a hacksaw and DANG was that a lot of work!  I'd recommend using a finer blade for the bamboo (32 notch) and a thicker (18 notch) for the roots.  Those roots can be tough!  Thats just my experience and little at that, so if seasoned flutemaker would like to step in please do.

newborn on the bus-
where is your destination?
I'm going to work

Board footer