•  » First CD to use Shomyo chanting and shakuhachi since late '60s

#1 2008-02-06 22:35:06

Moran from Planet X
Website

First CD to use Shomyo chanting and shakuhachi since late '60s

Just Released: First CD to use Shomyo chanting and shakuhachi since late 1960s

Please see http://shakuhachibeat.blogspot.com/

And thank you Chikuzen and Gishin!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2008-02-07 06:08:31

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: First CD to use Shomyo chanting and shakuhachi since late '60s

Chris Moran wrote:

Just Released: First CD to use Shomyo chanting and shakuhachi since late 1960s

Please see http://shakuhachibeat.blogspot.com/

And thank you Chikuzen and Gishin!

Thank you for including this on your blog Chris!

I gotta tell you this is one of the verrry few pictures in which I actually smile. I usually look like a Keishaku whacking dispenser more than smiling wink

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#3 2008-02-07 08:12:21

amokrun

I couldn't help noticing that Chikuzen has lost part of his beard. Most unfortunate thing, even though the new look is pretty nice as well. I do have to wonder how japanese people respond to having no hair and a long beard. A while ago I bought a nice book on living in Japan. One of the things mentioned there was that having a beard and not having hair is generally not recommended, especially with job interviews and such. It kind of makes sense since growing a beard at young age doesn't seem to be that common among the japanese men and thus you would stand out pretty easily.

Sorry to derail the original topic but I'm quite interested in any experiences Chikuzen or others may have on this. Some of you may have seen pictures of me. For those who haven't, I look a bit like he does except that I believe I'm a little bit shorter and have a more round head.

#4 2008-02-07 09:16:08

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

I produced a CD for Ellypsis Arts about 10 years ago which has both Shakuhachi and SHOMYO- but not on the same tracks! The name of the CD is "ONE SOUND", and to my understanding, it was , and remains, the only CD devoted to being a survey of Buddhist Music (2 Japanese cuts, 2 Tibetan cuts, S. Vietnam, Korea, 2 Chinese , "Pali" from Sri Lanka,etc.). Moreover itis in a Book of 64 pages which has fine pics, and a decent primer on Buddhism. I'm kinda proud of this project.

But back to the subject, The SHOMYO on the CD is from the well-known TENDAI SHOMYO CHANTS group from Japan which I tour-managed in their N.American tours  twice, and I play the Shakuhachi cut myself (AJIKAN). (If you are interested, you can order it from my website <www.nyogetsu.com>.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#5 2008-02-07 09:51:54

Lorka

I was fortunate to hear a little of the CD, and it is very fine indeed.  Gishin and Michael work very well together, and the fusion of voice and flute is done in a very elegant manner.  I will be getting this one for sure.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#6 2008-02-07 10:02:01

mrosenlof

I haven't heard Michael and Gishin's Cd yet, (but the check is in the mail!) but it has made me I think of another CD I own, "Officium" a combination of medieval and rennaisance chant with soprano saxophone.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus … semble.htm

It's a little more cross-century than shakuhachi and Buddhist chant might be, but this one is a beautiful melding of sounds.

Mike Rosenlof

#7 2008-02-07 11:38:43

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Chris, thanks for the post. There will be a nice blurb with some pics from the booklet and sample of the cuts posted later today. I actually realized when I wrote the part about "First since...etc." that I was going out on a limb with my limited knowledge of what is out there. However, I figured it would be a good way to find out quickly. I have received info about another cd specifically with shakuhachi and shomyo on the same tract. There are-I have been told-a few out there but you have to look on the japanese websites and read japanese or chinese. I or Gishin will get a list and let you all know about them as soon as we sell all of ours! ha ha. Here's the info I got from Michael Firman about the other CD:

It was recorded 1996
It's called "Shomyo: Buddhist Liturgical Chant" it's on the Megadisc label
MDC7857.
The shakuhachi player is Tosaku Nakata (of the Ueda-ryu).
The temple is the Shi-Tennoji (there seems to be a branch in the UK and
Belgium where some of it was recorded - as well as in Japan).

I was also glad to hear of the cd Ronnie produced.I didn't know about that so I'll have get one of those for my "shomyo fix" of the week.

The other Cd is of course the Yamamoto Hozan CD.

I would mention here that Gishin and I decided to do a question-&-answer type of dialogue on the Cd instead of playing together in order to hear each other better. Next time we plan on doing in sync. Tracks #1,#3 & #5 have shomyo and will give you a chance to hear Gishin's shomyo voice, which is wonderful. Track #2 is a wasan chant. It's more of a folk type chanting very different from shomyo. Track #5 is Komuso Nagashi, a melodic tune which I played on one of Ken's (now mine) Taimu flutes. Followed by the Heart Sutra. It was a spur of the moment decision to do so but I wanted to show the difference from note to note of the log more than just it's power which I didn't showcase at all.

I also have heard of a workshop where at one of the WSF where Jim Franklin chanted the Heart Sutra backed up by Yokoyama sensei. I heard there were a limited no. of these for sell at the festival. If you read this Jim could you enlighten us about the possibility of purchase.

Last edited by chikuzen (2008-02-07 11:42:49)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#8 2008-02-07 12:12:42

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

MONSHOGODO
Meditative Sounds of Old Japan

Michael Chikuzen Gould and Sebastien Gishin Cyr
Shakuhachi and Zen Chanting

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/mgcover.JPG

Objective:
Our goal in producing this CD was to create a truly meditative recording-one that is
based on shakuhachi music and the chanting of Buddhist sutras. We also wanted to
show the influence of shomyo and other types of Buddhist chanting on shakuhachi.

-Michael Chikuzen Gould / Sebastien Gishin Cyr

Song List:   Listen to song samples

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/mgsonglist.GIF

Anyone interested in purchasing the CD can contact Chikuzen by email at
Chikuzen@earthlink.net or Gishin at wakajiji@hotmail.com.
The CD is $15. plus shipping.

#9 2008-02-07 12:45:12

edosan
Edomologist

Wow.

[Thanks, Mujitsu]

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#10 2008-02-07 12:56:35

nyokai
shihan
Website

Great work, guys!!!!
If the whole CD is anywhere close to the quality of the samples, this is really wonderful!

#11 2008-02-07 15:43:44

KenC

This is the first chant / shakuhachi i have had the pleasure to hear! This is wonderful stuff!!  A must have!

Thank you to Chikuzen, Gishin and Mijitsu for putting these samples up.

Ken

#12 2008-02-07 16:03:58

dstone
Website

Chikuzen and Gishin, it's fantastic that you've put this together.  Thank you.

Michael, the proverbial USD money order is in the proverbial Canadian Postal System.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#13 2008-02-07 18:37:20

Moran from Planet X
Website

chikuzen wrote:

I actually realized when I wrote the part about "First since...etc." that I was going out on a limb ...

A little hyperbole on a blog or Internet forum? And, of course, never do we engage in such practices in print journalism! wink

I'll have to light a candle to St. Maximilian Kolbe to ask for forgiveness for all concerned (Of course he is also patron saint to drug addicts and prisoners as well as journalists). I'll wear my hair-shirt tonight when I go to sleep on my bed of stones.

Going out on a limb, taking risks, is a great way to generate feedback. You just have to have a tough hide, that's all.  What we learned with "Shomyo: Buddhist Liturgical Chant" on the Megadisc label MDC7857 is very valuable. Trying to actually find a copy may be difficult and expensive though. Thanks to you and Gishin we have your recordings available and affordable.

chikuzen wrote:

I was also glad to hear of the cd Ronnie produced.

Yes I bought this several years ago and it is a wonderful album and booklet. Thich Naht Hahn is recorded on the album in addition to the other great masters. Very much worth having.

chikuzen wrote:

The other Cd is of course the Yamamoto Hozan CD.

Once again, finding a copy of this can be difficult and expensive.

chikuzen wrote:

I would mention here that Gishin and I decided to do a question-&-answer type of dialogue on the Cd instead of playing together in order to hear each other better. Next time we plan on doing in sync.

I really like the simplicity of the call-and-response form that you fellows use here. It's an ancient form. Simple and poignant. Has that ever been done before on the same track? Nice sound samples. Incredibly beautiful shakuhachi playing (kind of like saying 'Nice painting, dude' to Van Gogh) and really fine chanting. Nice vocal chords, Gishin.

I better get off my duff and order one before you sell out the first printing. Email to follow.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2008-02-07 18:44:49)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#14 2008-02-07 19:00:30

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

I really like the simplicity of the call-and-response form that you fellows use here. It's an ancient form. Has that ever been done before on the same track? Nice sound samples. Incredibly beautiful shakuhachi playing (kind of like saying 'Nice painting, dude' to Van Gogh) and really fine chanting. Nice vocal chords, Gishin.

I better get off my duff and order one before you sell out the first printing. Email to foillow.

Thank you all for the positive feedback so far!

As far as the Call-and-response form on Shichi-Bongo (Can also be called Tenku in the Chizan branch) the Hozan Yamamoto CD was somehow in that format. When I presented that CD to Chikuzen Sensei he felt the idea to do a cd of this type was good and wanted take it further than just putting out a couple of tracks of Shakuhachi and Shomyo.

So what we basically did was to use the idea on the Hozan Yamamoto CD but instead of being totally random about the piece continuity etc. We decided to build it as a ceremony with its opening middle body and the end  which is the dedication. Also it was very important that all pieces and title would directly link with the spirit of Shakuhachi and have a clean logical flow form one to the other. So lots of reasercha as been done by each of us in order to select proper chants/sutras that had to do with sound learning and all that links to shakuhachi practice.

Thank youChirs for the praiseeon my singing. I have to be very honest eith you all I never sang a damm song in my life. All I know when it comes to singing is Shomyo. So what I do is just let it rip with all my heart when I opne my mouth and concentrate on the vizualization and energy that is linked with each of the sounds in order to transmit the essence of what is in each chant.

When the first piece was recorded it was a match made in heaven. We basically just had warmed up for about 10 minutes and we got at it and in one take it was done. The harmony we had at the time of playing was quite something and we both were able to really fuse sound and silence without any editing or effects so basically what you hear on the first track has not been modified in any manner.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#15 2008-02-27 14:07:11

nyokai
shihan
Website

I just listened to Monshogodo for the first time two days ago, and it is even more wonderful than I expected it to be. Michael's playing is simple, relaxed and assured, and his solos are absolutely beautiful. The chanting is excellent too, and the combination really works! Congratulations, Gishin.

I've felt for a long time that too many shakuhachi CDs get put out, that many of them are just another player playing the same pieces -- they're almost like business cards. Michael waits until he has a great idea. I really respect that.

Everybody here should get this CD!

#16 2008-02-27 15:35:44

Marcelo Kaneta
Website

Well.. the sample is wonderful...
This CD is precious.

Where it comes from?

"The long journey reveals the depth of one’s faith."

#17 2008-02-27 20:15:11

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

amokrun wrote:

It kind of makes sense since growing a beard at young age doesn't seem to be that common among the japanese men and thus you would stand out pretty easily.

In fact, being bearded (somewhat) among young men seems more to be the norm now in Japan.  That trend has liberated many older fellows to let their chickens run free as well.  Long, flowing beards though are pretty much only sported by older fellows.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#18 2008-03-13 16:05:35

dstone
Website

Received the CD.  I've had just one listen straight through, with good headphones.  Absolutely fantastic, guys!  Sublime.  The space you recorded in seems really well chosen, also!  You both sound very natural and unforced.  I'm sure this wasn't actually "easy" but I can picture you having a good time doing this.  smile

I mean this as a complement... I get the impression of "sharing" more than "performing" listening to Michael's shakuhachi playing, if that makes sense.  I love all playing but not everything sounds like "sharing" to me, so this is great.

Also really good to hear the distinctive Taimu flute in there.

Thank you all.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#19 2008-03-13 18:24:02

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

dstone wrote:

Received the CD.  I've had just one listen straight through, with good headphones.  Absolutely fantastic, guys!  Sublime.  The space you recorded in seems really well chosen, also!  You both sound very natural and unforced.  I'm sure this wasn't actually "easy" but I can picture you having a good time doing this.  smile

I mean this as a complement... I get the impression of "sharing" more than "performing" listening to Michael's shakuhachi playing, if that makes sense.  I love all playing but not everything sounds like "sharing" to me, so this is great.

Also really good to hear the distinctive Taimu flute in there.

Thank you all.

-Darren.

Very glad to hear you liked th CD Darren hope all is well on your side of Canada. Ok so back to working on the Dojo and then off to another graveyard shift. I feel as if when the Dojo will be finished I will be finished as well.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#20 2008-03-13 18:34:36

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

I've had this CD playing on repeat in my shop for a few days. Wonderful! Not too little and not too much. Just the right amount of nothing and something! I feel good.

Thanks guys.

Ken

#21 2008-03-13 18:41:33

Moran from Planet X
Website

Gishin wrote:

I feel as if when the Dojo will be finished I will be finished as well.

Very Twilight Zone of you.

There was a famous Hollywood guy, whose name I've long forgotten, that kept on building rooms to his house because he said that if he ever finished it, he would die.

May you never be finished with your dojo, Gishin.

#22 2008-03-13 22:42:48

rpowers

Chris Moran wrote:

There was a famous Hollywood guy, whose name I've long forgotten, that kept on building rooms to his house because he said that if he ever finished it, he would die.

Sounds like the Winchester Mystery House, except that's in San Jose (and Sarah Winchester wasn't a guy; oh yeah--she died anyway).

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/story.html

Never mind.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#23 2008-03-15 08:24:13

Marcelo Kaneta
Website

When I buy it, where it comes from?

"The long journey reveals the depth of one’s faith."

• Index