Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Deeper/Shallower Utaguchi: opinions on what's better for playing?

#1 2006-02-23 20:39:32

kyoreiflutes
Website

Deeper/Shallower Utaguchi: opinions on what's better for playing?

Well, you all know about how I'm trying to get into Otsu lately, and I learned from Perry about my lip shape, so now I'm MUCH better at getting into Otsu. Many thanks to Perry.

So, here's my problem: I have 3 flutes I made, two out of Red Sheath, and one out of Black. The Red Sheath turned out well, but the black was a tiny bit thin-walled for my tastes, but it looks like that's the norm. I accidentally made the holes too big, but I'm slowly lacquering them to reduce them by just a bit. It's not fun, let me tell ya.

I also messed up on the Utaguchi, due to, I believe, how thin the walls were, combined with the slightly different shape. So, the blowing edge, the center of the half-oval, is deeper than my other flutes (I tend to like shallower ovals for better meri and keri). This flute, however, is slightly easier to play than the other ones, and its' Ro growls more deeply than it's Red Sheath cousin of same size. The shape of the root also made for a slight "cut" to the right of center; I don't think it affects the playing that much, since I also blow to the left of the center of my mouth, but I hate the way it looks, and who knows, it could be affecting it. Suffice it to say, the Utaguchi is deeper than my other flutes (and I also have a Yuu), but I also can get into Otsu easier, and higher, too.

So I guess I have two questions: one, does the depth of the Utaguchi really make that big of a difference? Is it really easier, in general, to blow on a deeper-cut Utaguchi, and also to get into Otsu?

My other question is...does anyone know how I could kind of fill in that "cut" in the Utaguchi? I've thought about having someone like Ken or Perry put in an insert, but I'm just not cure if this flute is worth it. The root is very nicely curved, and I wish I had taken a little bit more time with it...it's also got this god-awful coating of plastic finish that didn't work at all. It's slowly flaking off, ugh. I can't use anything but my fingernails to remove from fear of hurting it. Anyway, any advice on filling it or something would be much appreciated.

Namaste.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2006-02-23 23:36:20

jumbuk

Re: Deeper/Shallower Utaguchi: opinions on what's better for playing?

Have a look at a Kena - or a Kenacho, which is close to the same size as a 1.8 shakuhachi.  They have a very deep groove.  As a friend of mine says "let the notch do the work".  The groove / notch helps you centre your embouchure, but limits the amount of pitch variation you can get (which is good in the case of the Kena, but not so good for shakuhachi).

Have a look here for more info about Kenas: http://www.fippless.org/Quena/Play

Last edited by jumbuk (2006-02-23 23:37:32)

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

#3 2006-02-24 05:12:18

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Well, you all know about how I'm trying to get into Otsu lately, and I learned from Perry about my lip shape, so now I'm MUCH better at getting into Otsu. Many thanks to Perry.-E

I think you are confusing otsu with kan.

Otsu=low octave
Kan=high octave
Dai Kan=notes above the second octave
Daikon=radish

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2006-02-24 06:42:20

waryr

Daikon Kan=Second Octave Radish? <g>

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

#5 2006-02-24 19:53:58

rpowers

Tairaku wrote:

I think you are confusing otsu with kan.

Otsu=low octave
Kan=high octave
Dai Kan=notes above the second octave
Daikon=radish

Which nearly brings us back to the Dai Konbu, or giant kelp flute.

Rich

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#6 2006-03-10 15:03:43

Karmajampa
Website

I am using the narrower wall 'black' bamboo, I like it as it is a light weight culm. One good flute I made has a deep curve, yes this gives a rich Otsu. I made the curve shallower by sanding down the top edge of the culm, this shortened the flute by 2-3mm but did not seem to alter overall pitch, and made the curve that much shallower. I was a bit nervous about doing this for sure but it was worth it as the Kan notes now play better as my lips are slightly closer to the edge, but the Otsu notes are still rich.
This particular flute does not play Meri well because the angle of the blow edge is too acute IMO, and perhaps the deeper curve. It was the very second flute I ever made from non-root end, I really did not know much about what I was doing, I was trying to make a copy of another flute, However as a wide bore it has a great rich low timbre  But the blow edge is not 'on' the node ass I am now doing and I think this is the reason why I have an acute angled edge. I am now getting my blow edge on the node so I have more 'meat' to get a 30° angle and hopefully better Meri. I also try to leave in about 1mm of inner node beneath the blow edge to aid in note sustain.

Interested in your resolution of this one.

Kel    §

Kia Kaha !

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Deeper/Shallower Utaguchi: opinions on what's better for playing?

Board footer