World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-03-21 21:15:15

withaquietmind
Website

Utaguchi Angle

Hi all...a question for you:

Everywhere I read says 30 degrees for the utaguchi angle, and I'm wondering what significance this has.  I also have a few related questions but I think I'll leave it open ended for now.  thanks!

newborn on the bus-
where is your destination?
I'm going to work

#2 2008-03-21 23:05:23

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Utaguchi Angle

withaquietmind wrote:

Hi all...a question for you:

Everywhere I read says 30 degrees for the utaguchi angle, and I'm wondering what significance this has.  I also have a few related questions but I think I'll leave it open ended for now.  thanks!

Ryan,

Thirty degrees seems to be an average utaguchi angle. However, steeper and flatter angles occur often depending on the tone desired. This is generalizing but steeper angles (think skiing* here) can be thought of as focusing the tone. Flatter angles tend to diffuse the tone. There is more to it than that but generally this is what I have found.

Ken

* By "skiing" I mean looking down over the face of the utaguchi while playing as if it is a hill you are skiing down.

#3 2008-03-22 14:14:41

withaquietmind
Website

Ok...I'll have to experiment. 

So the utaguchi angle has no effect on Meri notes?
The flute I'm making now has a fairly small meri depth compared to other flutes.  What might be the cause of this?
The bore profile great influences how air is accepted and how resonant the tones can be.

Or, more theoretically, what adjustments can a flutemaker make to allow greater meri depth?

newborn on the bus-
I'm going to work

#4 2008-03-22 15:06:21

Karmajampa
Website

Are you inserting an utaguchi or more simply shaping the bamboo ?
I shape the bamboo, hocchiku. If the angle is more acute the curve is often deeper, if the angle is less acute the curve is more shallow. A more shallow curve seems to allow a greater amount of Meri. I think this is because of the proximity of the lips and the greater angle that can be obtained when tilting the head down. However I also shape the underside of the curve, so while the angle remains the same the curve becomes less of a hemisphere. This has the effect of providing a curve that has a sharper edge towards the sides.
I also notice a shallow curve reduces the volume of the Otsu register, so for me there is an optimum that balances these issues. But along with this is one's blowing ability and strength, as my blowing has improved over several years, I am more able to adjust my blow to get the tone and pitch I want.
Another factor I find that relates to the angle of the utaguchi or 'blow-edge', is the relative position of the back edge, the chin rest, and even the side rests.
And, for my umbouchure, this all relates to the diameter of the inside bore.
An advantage perhaps of making our own flute is that we can custonize it as much as we want.
It is fascinating how some very small alterations can have a large effect on sound quality, so it is prudent to make small adjustments then do some blowing, sometimes even wait until tomorrow before considering more adjustment.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#5 2008-03-23 22:34:11

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

I have many flutes by many makers and the angle is nowhere near fixed; it varies considerably from flute to flute. I think to some extent the angle is chosen based on cosmetic rather than playing reasons, although obviously the angle will make a difference at extremes.

Toby

#6 2008-03-25 17:40:59

costademaria
Website

hi, when i started learning to make i followed the pictures of  master made flutes. after some time i started to explore "what if... and why" trying my own angles. after some time i found the best for me angle. dont be surprised that was the same as the beginning but with the knowledge of "why"

though as Ken states "...steeper angles (think skiing* here) can be thought of as focusing the tone. Flatter angles tend to diffuse the tone.."
I agree with this and now depends how the bamboo sounds or i like it to sound , i change a bit the angle/to the center line of the shakuhachi/ . i illustrate this for better understanding with 3 photos. the angle between the lips rest and the blowing edge is exactly the same but to the imaginary center line of the flute not so. cause every bamboo is different. this 2 shakuhachi i made without measuring and looking each other. when i read your question i simply took 2 shakuhachi from the rack. you can see on the 3rd picture where i align the 2 utaguchi how the shakuhachi go in different directions/ different angle to the center line/.i hope you understand my english and this would be a help for you

PS.normally the shorter shakuhachi i do like picture 1 and the longer like picture 2 , cause its more comfortable to hold and easier to go to the second octave/ for me/

http://costademaria.googlepages.com/utaguchi1.JPG/utaguchi1-full;init:.JPG
http://costademaria.googlepages.com/utaguchi2.JPG/utaguchi2-full;init:.JPG
http://costademaria.googlepages.com/utaguchi12.JPG/utaguchi12-full;init:.JPG

Last edited by costademaria (2008-03-25 17:46:01)

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#7 2008-03-26 13:41:05

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Ryan,

withaquietmind wrote:

Ok...I'll have to experiment. 

So the utaguchi angle has no effect on Meri notes?

I would say the angles affect how the flute reacts to the Meri technique.

The flute I'm making now has a fairly small meri depth compared to other flutes.  What might be the cause of this?

The bore profile great influences how air is accepted and how resonant the tones can be.

Or, more theoretically, what adjustments can a flutemaker make to allow greater meri depth?

Removing operator error from the picture smile, I would suggest to find the worst note and work one by one. Keep in mind that each tone hole responds differently. See what happens when you drop a tuning bead around the top of the flute and around the tone hole.

Maybe it should be mentioned that Meri notes are "dark" notes and are normally soft due to nature of the technique.
Good luck! Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#8 2008-03-26 20:09:56

withaquietmind
Website

Perry-

So your saying that each note can have a different meri depth?

newborn on the bus-
I'm going to work

#9 2008-03-26 21:19:21

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Because of my bad english, sometimes I miss some point on the lecture... But if it isn't around or I miss it, I suppose that exist a big relation between the utaguchi angle and the chin rest among them, affecting both timbre and meri... It is what appears to me between the other good citations on this topic... 

It's interesting what Perry wrote... I would like to know it too... Perry, you are saying that each note can have a different meri depth? How can we work on it (or should we think about it as a secondary factor? I think not because a good meri possibility on a flute is really needed to play some things...) ?

Peace my friends...

Omnia mea mecum porto

Board footer