World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2008-04-12 19:05:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Minimal practice time?

Playing the same songs everyday gives you the ability to gauge your playing more accurately because you notice things like, "I played that one more in tune yesterday" Or "this time I made it to the end of that phrase without having to take a breath."

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#27 2008-04-12 21:26:58

Seth

Tairaku wrote:

Playing the same songs everyday gives you the ability to gauge your playing more accurately because you notice things like, "I played that one more in tune yesterday" Or "this time I made it to the end of that phrase without having to take a breath."

I observed this phenomenon a while ago...

This actually suggests that the traditional way of studying shakuhachi; song after song with a new song always being handed you -  is actually a great way to learn the repertoire of your school but not necessarily the most effective way to becoming a strong player.

What’s better - being mediocre at 30 songs or being master of one?

#28 2008-04-12 21:55:58

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

The interesting thing about traditional shakuhachi study is that once you get past the children's songs and such, everything is advanced. For example we learn "Kurokami" and "Rokudan" early but those are still a challenge for any professional player as well. So anything you play from the repertoire is demanding. Same for "Choshi" and especially "Hi Fu Mi Hachikaeshi". No walk in the park playing those well.

#29 2008-04-12 23:23:22

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Seth,

I just played that regime at moderate tempi and it took about 33 minutes. So there's your "maintenance" practice session.

BR

#30 2008-04-13 10:58:00

Seth

Okay - Ill start  tonight.

#31 2008-07-08 00:03:00

YuccaBruce
Website

I replaced the word "practice" with "work". How do I work? How am I using my time and why? Am I obeying what some one says my work should be?  To adhere to a tradition  is to become something other than oneself. Of course technique and good taste are essential, but how do we discover what can't be taught or "learned". For this reason breathing shakuhachi is mysterious and kind.

Board footer