Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-04-11 23:55:26

cesor

Rattan Binding on middle joint

I have an old 1.6 on which the rattan binding on the middle joint is just beginning to unwind.  What can I use to stop it from unwinding further?
I need something simple that I can source locally (Bangkok).  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Chris.

#2 2008-04-12 11:16:05

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Rattan Binding on middle joint

cesor wrote:

I have an old 1.6 on which the rattan binding on the middle joint is just beginning to unwind.  What can I use to stop it from unwinding further?
I need something simple that I can source locally (Bangkok).  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Chris.

Chris,

There are a few types of glue which will work. All have their own features. Super glue dries fast. You'll need to work quickly. Two part epoxy has the advantage of a slower drying time. Five minute epoxy starts to get tacky in a few minutes. So, the rattan will hold in place yet can still be moved. I like to use urushi because it glues as well as darkens the rattan. Just wipe off enough of it to your liking. Urushi is a little trickier to use. I'm not sure about its availability in Bangkok. Super glue and two part epoxy should be available.

#3 2008-04-12 11:39:37

edosan
Edomologist

Chris,

If you use superglue (also known as cyanoacrylate adhesive), try to get the thinnest, runniest type possible. These days it is very likely to be a thicker, gel consistency in a small tube. The thin stuff comes in a small bottle and is always available in hobby shops (if there are such shops where you are).

If you can find a loose END of the rattan, you can stabilize it and apply just a few drops (2 or 3) to the end (do NOT get any on your fingers here, or you'll glue them to the rattan--you just want to glue down the loose end). After the superglue has cured (30 seconds to one minute--could be even faster, almost instantaneous, depending on the acidity of the application point), the loose end will stay in place, and you can apply a FEW more drops here and there to any other loose areas. If you have any excess superglue on the surface, you can QUICKLY wipe it off with a paper towel or cloth before it cures.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2008-04-12 12:05:57

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

Chris,

If you have any excess superglue on the surface, you can QUICKLY wipe it off with a paper towel or cloth before it cures.

eB

I'd suggest waiting until the excess has cured some and then scrape it off with an x-acto knife. Maybe wiping with a cloth will work, but I've found that using a paper towel just gets paper towel lint stuck to the surface.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#5 2008-04-12 12:23:22

edosan
Edomologist

radi0gnome wrote:

edosan wrote:

Chris,

If you have any excess superglue on the surface, you can QUICKLY wipe it off with a paper towel or cloth before it cures.

eB

I'd suggest waiting until the excess has cured some and then scrape it off with an x-acto knife. Maybe wiping with a cloth will work, but I've found that using a paper towel just gets paper towel lint stuck to the surface.

Wiping works fine, and is the preferred method; you've just got to be ready with a wiper, and do it quickly, working one small area at a time: coupla drops, wipe, wait. Repeat. Scraping just ends up looking like scraping...

Been using this product for 30 years.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#6 2008-04-12 13:22:53

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

I've had the same experience as Ed. Wiping a small area works well if done quickly. If I prefer to work on larger areas at a time, where there is more danger of drying, I like to have an acetone soaked rag ready to do the wiping. Either way, as Ed says, doing it quickly is the key.

#7 2008-04-12 14:43:09

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

cesor wrote:

Chris.

Hi Chris, Bangkok?!? I sent  a shakuhachi to Bangkok a little while back.  How many shakuhachi players are there in Bangkok?

It would be a good idea to do a practice run before you actually apply the super glue just to make sure you have everything you need in case something goes wrong. As everyone said, the glue dries fast and it may glue the rattan into places that you didn't anticipate. I just reglued a loose rattan for some one and the rattan was old so it was coiled like a spring. It was a little tricky.

I use a rag to control the spillage, if any. A thin skin of glue can be polished off easily with #0000 super fine steel wool without scratching the bamboo.

You can also use small pieces of thin masking tape to hold things in place while you glue. No need to rush!

Good luck, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#8 2008-04-12 21:33:32

edosan
Edomologist

Just so.

What you're trying to do here (if I understand your situation) is to remove all the slack out of the rattan, hold that in place (either with your finger or tape or whatever clever method you can devise) and then tack the loose end in place. Then you can work on securing the rest of the wrap.

If you apply the CA (cyanoacrylate) carefully (using a very small applicator tip that comes on most bottles) you will have little or no excess to wipe off, as capillary action will pull the thin adhesive right into and under the rattan binding.

Note that fresh CA must be kept away from moisture, as it will tend to absorb it and become thick. A good way to keep it is in a plastic ziplock bag in your freezer.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#9 2008-04-12 21:54:57

cesor

Mujitsu, edosan, radiOgnome and Perry many thanks to you all for the useful suggestions.  I had the super glue idea in mind but needed confirmation.
The shakuhachi is quite old and the rattan binding is ultra curled.  However, a little super glue and the gentle pressure from the sharp end of a pin to hold it in place while it dries should do the trick.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Perry, as a matter of fact the shakuhachi you sent to Bangkok went to my friend in Scottsdale, who carried it to me here in Bangkok and I in turn passed it on to your customer.

I am, and have been for many years the only shakuhachi player here in Bangkok.  The other player lives 'out in the sticks'.  We do get together.
With all the Japanese living here it is surprising that there are no shakuhachi players.  Lots of koto players, but alas, no shakuhaci.

This weekend is Song Kran - the Thai New Year - which means four days of water fights all over the country.
Happy Thai New Year to you all,
Chris.

#10 2008-04-13 07:44:58

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

cesor wrote:

Perry, as a matter of fact the shakuhachi you sent to Bangkok went to my friend in Scottsdale, who carried it to me here in Bangkok and I in turn passed it on to your customer.

I am, and have been for many years the only shakuhachi player here in Bangkok.  The other player lives 'out in the sticks'.  We do get together.

Please give him my best!

With all the Japanese living here it is surprising that there are no shakuhachi players.  Lots of koto players, but alas, no shakuhachi.

This weekend is Song Kran - the Thai New Year - which means four days of water fights all over the country.
Happy Thai New Year to you all,
Chris.

I have great memories of Thailand. We were there in 98' and found a tiny non-party island (I think it was called Koh Samui) where we stayed in a thatch hut on beach. Nothing to do but Yoga, swimming and shakuhachi! Then we found our selves on Kao San Road. What a shock that was. I bet much has changed in 10 years.

All the best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#11 2008-04-13 16:48:09

jaybeemusic

Just a little addition to what the others have said.....

The cellulose in paper towel acts as a catalyst/accelerant and actually "speeds up" the drying of superglue.

plus...it generates a LOT of heat and CAN burn you if you're not careful.   

so be VERY careful.

just my 2 cents....

Jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#12 2008-04-14 10:12:35

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

edosan wrote:

Chris,

eB

Wiping works fine, and is the preferred method; you've just got to be ready with a wiper, and do it quickly, working one small area at a time: coupla drops, wipe, wait. Repeat. Scraping just ends up looking like scraping...

Been using this product for 30 years.

eB

I have to admit that my experience is a lot less extensive, I could say about 35 years but there was a good 32 years in between that I didn't touch the stuff. However, in my recent experience wiping, even when quickly done, left a thin film that was hard to scrape off. When I leave a stray drop harden it peels off cleanly without much evidence that there were any problems.

Since the people here that say wiping quickly is the prefered solution to spilled glue have more experience I find it hard to disagree,  but I have to think that there's some learned skill involved because wiping just seems to make more of a mess for me. I haven't tried wiping with an acetone soaked rag yet though, maybe that's the trick.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2008-04-14 10:13:10)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#13 2008-04-14 11:50:06

jaybeemusic

Another tip that i usually do is go to the pharmacy and get a pack of the tiny Diabetic needles.  they only work for the REALLY thin superglue,
but you can very easily put "just enough" in just the right spot.  they're super cheap and work really well.  I couldn't live without them. 

i'm in canada and you don't need a prescription for them.... in other countries it might be different.

Jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

Board footer