Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-04-20 19:10:04

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Monks please mind your own freaking business!

This is a sad day for both Tendai and Jodo-Shu

It seems hat some priests at the Zenkoji temple in Nagano prefecture decided to play politics in regards to Tibet and are planning some protest over the Olympics and the passing of the torch around their place. I truly think they should mind their own damn business and not jump on the bandwagon thing like so many people that just blindly support the Dalai Lama and his minions without actually thinking that there is nobody that is totally white or black especially when it comes to politics. What is quite interesting is that in general we all are bitching and oppose any form of theocratic (religious) government when it comes to Muslim countries and other countries where oppression comes from the religious government in place.

What is even sadder is that most fools will blindly accept the false vision that Tibet was some form of Shangri-La when the Dalai Lama was in place. The system in place at the time was as bad as what the Chinese did in the past and actually even worst on many points. If people really respected Tibetans they would stop to generate tensions coming from outside of Tibet and concentrate on being more constructive because in fact all China wants is that monks DO NOT play politics outside of that they just don’t make any trouble to monks of the Tibetan denomination all over China.

Please note I am not in suport of China and what they did and some of the wrong stuff they still do BUT it is about time people would get educated with real info and not just the Walt-Disney version of the story where te Dalai Lama and his bunch is all white and China is all black. No matter how it is there is always 2 sides to this type of stories and we need to accept it.

Here is the original story and also some info that shows the other side of what blind people want to imagine of what jolly old Tibet was supposed to be.

http://buddhism.about.com/?once=true&

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#2 2008-04-20 20:19:18

jamesnyman

Re: Monks please mind your own freaking business!

Gee, Gishin! I have read most of what the Dali Lama has written and it has certainly helped me both in times of trouble and joy. I suppose the Tibetans should actually just relax and enjoy being overrun by the Chinese. It is, after all, the natural oder of things.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#3 2008-04-20 20:25:44

jamesnyman

Maybe the USA should just occupy Canada. Hell, we need their oil tar sands to run our cars. We could marginalize the Canadians or even exterminate them so we can suck up all their natural resouces. Sounds like a good plan to me

#4 2008-04-20 20:58:36

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

jamesnyman wrote:

Maybe the USA should just occupy Canada. Hell, we need their oil tar sands to run our cars. We could marginalize the Canadians or even exterminate them so we can suck up all their natural resouces. Sounds like a good plan to me

Yea right Ok if you want to be childish about it and accuse me of being the killer of Bambi then please do so. You are just being all emotional about it and did not clearly read what was in my post. Just go read the article of Dr. Parenti and go from there. I am taking NO SIDES just putting facts where they belong. If you want to just be an over sensitive band wagon Jumper then please refrain from making childish comments if you want to discuss facts then its all good. Have you been to Tibet? Do you really know what goes on in there? All of those religious leaders have a an agenda and I support NONE of them. The Dalai Lam is just another one of those no matter how nice and how helpfull he may sound and look. If he was all so peacefull why the heck did him and his brother worked with the CIA in organizing Guerilla warfare?

Again I take no sides  I just see reality for what it is and I am able to make a difference between my emotions and wishes and how they connect to a bigger reality.

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#5 2008-04-20 21:51:27

jamesnyman

I am certain that life for the Tibetans was no bed of roses under the Dali Lama, but it was life under the rule of the Tibetans, not the Chinese. My point is that life may not be a bed of roses under the rule of the Canadians, but it is probably a whole lot better than life for the Canadians under the rule of the potential rule of the USA. I am certain that the Chinese do not have the best interest of the Tibetans in their heart when thay make decisions any more than Americans would have the best interest of Canadians in their heart if they decided to take over Canada. You are taking sides and you are on the wrong side of this issue.

#6 2008-04-20 21:57:33

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

jamesnyman wrote:

You are on the wrong side of this issue.

Why? Because I do not believe and bow to the Dalai Lama as the incarnation of Yoda? In your last post what you said is not wrong just another way to see and express things there is nothing to deny about that. Now my point has nothing wrong other than cutting some of the Walt-Disney illusions most common folks that support the Tibetan cause have of old Tibet being heaven.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#7 2008-04-20 22:05:07

jamesnyman

When you stick your feet in the muddy pool of politics instead of simply breathing and being you go a stray...so much for zen.

#8 2008-04-20 22:08:48

Kerry

The Parenti article is very well written and his references are credible.
There is so much history that never makes it into a textbook and especially the corporate sponsored brainwashing machine.
The Dalai Lama never had the chance to have any kind of normal childhood. He's been a political tool of the Tibetan elite from the beginning and still is. He's said some very wonderful, meaningful words that have helped many spiritually and that's good. But he also said in response to the U.S. invasion of Iraq that " some war is necessary", obviously and selfishly to draw attention to the struggle of 'said elite' to regain power and control of Tibet. Talk about some payback if that were ever to happen!!! Read the article and check the refs. Thanks, Gishin

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#9 2008-04-20 22:19:29

shaman141
Website

Gishin,

It seems you are the one being emotional and quite arrogant  by calling people "childish" and "foolish" when discussing this topic. Do the facts that you have read explain the killing of Tibetan supporters and high ranking monks? I have been speaking with many Chinese people and the majority believe that the Tibetans should stop "causing trouble" and then all powerful China would stop murdering the Tibetan people. There is no black or white in this situation BUT the Tibetans are being murdered anyway, so they may as well stand up if they are going to be killed no matter what they do! Who are you to tell them to mind their business when they are standing up for what they believe in?

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#10 2008-04-20 22:22:44

jamesnyman

I read the article. It still seems that Tibetans, and not necesarily the Dali Lama and his associates, should rule Tibet, not the Chinese.

#11 2008-04-20 22:26:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hey Ken,

Do we have the ability to do polls on the forum? Maybe this will be a good place to start? cool

Tibet was a corrupt, decadent and wasteful place prior to the Chinese takeover.

We tend to side with Buddhists regardless of the merits. Sri Lanka doesn't have a charismatic leader like the Dalai so there is no hero there. But the clergy is corrupt there and have a lot to do with perpetuating the civil war. Should we also give them a hands off attitude just because they are Buddhists?

Muslim theocracy=Bad Buddhist theocracy=good

Muslim polygamy or Texas polygamy=bad, Tibetan polyandry=good

Why?

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see China pull out of Tibet and hopefully it would be replaced by a democracy rather than a theocracy. But Gishin's right we shouldn't pretend like the Chinese put a turd in a punchbowl full of Dom Perignon.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#12 2008-04-20 22:34:34

Kerry

jamesnyman wrote:

I read the article. It still seems that Tibetans, and not necesarily the Dali Lama and his associates, should rule Tibet, not the Chinese.

James,
Point well taken!
Sincerely,
Kerry

#13 2008-04-20 22:37:22

jamesnyman

Again, no doubt that life under the institutional theocratic rule of the Dali Lama was no bed of roses, but it is probably prefferable to subjucation by the Chinese. Democracy, and neither theocracy nor subjucation, would probably better in the long run. My guess is that neither side is willing to back off and let that happen.

#14 2008-04-20 22:58:56

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

shaman141 wrote:

Who are you to tell them to mind their business when they are standing up for what they believe in?

Same goes to you wink!

Who are you to tell me that I should not express my point smile  and by the way when I say monks should mind their own business I am speaking about the Monks at Zenkoji in Japan. If the Monks in Tibet want to riot fight and get killed down all the way to the last one this will be their choice and their own problem and should not come crying about it in the end if they were that much into peace they would have bent to China or just ran away. The similar situation happened here in Quebec when the French lost to the English but in the end we all bent to the power of England and oops guess what? French language and culture is still well and alive here in Quebec 

Now the monks at Zenkoji with their stupid and childish behavior can only cause more problems between China and Japan and in the end NOBODY will win anything and all it will do is create more problems for Tibetan people. Japanese monks should mind their own business and NOT play politics if they want to really help Tibet their is many other things they can do other than just protest to satisfy their own band wagon social conscience.

Last edited by Gishin (2008-04-20 23:00:45)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#15 2008-04-20 23:12:37

jamesnyman

Same goes to you !...yes you are...not your not...yes you are...no your not????????? Just breathe...or hold your breath as the case may be.

#16 2008-04-20 23:13:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I agree with Gishin on the point that this is a bandwagon issue. The time to protest would have been BEFORE they awarded the Olympics to China. Everybody knew they had human rights problems. They don't give out the Olympics without review. Now some people and organizations who enabled China to get the Olympics are jumping on the bandwagon, because this Tibet thing is becoming popular.

On a related note, I find it fascinating that Bush was the first president to have the guts to meet with the Dalai Lama in the White House. I don't like the dude and he probably thought he was meeting an animal from South America but the hippies should give him credit for that.

#17 2008-04-21 11:38:03

axolotl
Website

We have no idea if the Tibetans would have dissolved their theocracy--they were never given the chance, unlike Bhutan. 

I don't believe that anyone has the right to invade another country unless that country is a major threat to the world.  If nations are in the business of invading repressive regimes, well, I guess we all have no cause in protesting the invasion of Iraq.  We might as well invade Burma and North Korea as well, since they, by this logic, deserve invasion.  There are lots of bad places in the world, however, that 'need' invasion, and quite frankly I think it's the business of countries to do other things first, priority-wise. 

The invasion of Tibet cost up to 1.2 million lives.  I don't care if those people were dog-eating polyandrous sky-burial peasants ruled by inbred autocratic god-kings--they didn't deserve death, torture, famine, and suppression of human rights.

Many of the 'monks' rioting in Tibet were Chinese soldiers in monk drag. They were caught on satellite cam footage. 

I dare any of you to apply the same logic about Tibet being a cruel theocracy to, say, Mesoamerica. Those damn Mayans and Aztecs were cutting out hearts left and right in the name of Quetzalcoatl and Tezcatlipoca.  Clearly the Europeans enlightened them tremendously.

Welp, time to buy the next book that Oprah recommends and follow the teachings of Richard Gere!

#18 2008-04-21 11:51:22

Kerry

Two articles here about Zenkoji
www.buddhistchannel.tv

After such worry what to do, the temple gets spray painted. A shame indeed!

Last edited by Kerry (2008-04-21 14:47:48)

#19 2008-04-21 12:04:57

Seth

Here here on the pushback on blind worship of the Dalai Lama.   So much empty veneration for anybody can not be a good thing. 

As an Israeli American I am always mortified at how amazingly plain wrong many outsiders are when discussing the Arab Israeli conflict.   This is not a criticism of people on either the right or left of the issues confronting Israeli and Palestinian relations -its just that many outsiders seem so comfortable expressing very strong opinions about things that they dont understand at all. 

As a result I have learned not to be tempted into expressing an opinion on virtually any foreign policy issue as my basic assumption is that there is always another key layer of information that I was not able to pick up from the most recent NYTimes article on the topic. 

Humility, especially in politics, is a real virtue.

#20 2008-04-21 13:06:30

Lance

Opinions, even when based on something less than the 'whole' picture, which is most often the case, is 'interesting' at least...  we humans just love debate.

It's nice that after a perhaps heated debate, where each side thinks the other is somewhere much lower on the evolutionary scale than themselves, we can stop, and play a flute... ahhhh.

If the Tibetans and the Chinese just did more flute playing the correct path would be much easier to see...

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

#21 2008-04-21 15:13:41

axolotl
Website

Who exactly is saying that the Dalai Lama is a spotless saint, or calling for a return to pre-1959 Tibet?  I totally disagree with all kinds of things the Dalai Lama has said, on abortion and homosexuality, to the unfairness of his sect's supremacy over the others, etc etc.  Tibetan Buddhism is flawed; so is every other type of Buddhism.  Rather than consider human nature and the interactions of countries and cultures as complicated, we can just call each other fools and blind--but I prefer to think of things as complicated.  To criticize someone else as being too black and white in their opinion, while calling them names, seems a little hypocritical to me.  It's a straw man argument.

#22 2008-04-21 19:46:03

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

fouw wrote:

. And those who had their say on this subject.
I almost said my thing too but thought better of it just before clicking the 'submit' button.

Hey Kees, it's cool, this is an internet forum and that's what they're for, blabbing! wink Gishin appropriately put this in the "Off Topic" section so everybody's free to express themselves on this little conversation about genocide, imperialism, and religion.

It's not like we're discussing anything really important like whether a tiny dab of ji ruins a flute or if it's OK to play a particular gaikyoku on 1.6 instead of 1.8. cool Then we'd have to choose our words wisely.

#23 2008-04-22 02:34:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

fouw wrote:

Hi Tairaku,

It's not my intention to put anybody down!
) ,
Kees.

I know you're not putting anybody down, I was just encouraging you to say stupid things, just like the rest of us cool

Board footer