World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-04-20 13:30:13

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Notation for the big three.

Is anyone aware if notation for the three "original" honkyoku, KYOREI, MUKAIJI and KOKU is available for purchase as a set? Seems like it would be a nice package compared to blurry internet copies.

Thanks.

Ken

#2 2008-04-20 14:36:43

philthefluter
Website

Re: Notation for the big three.

All three are part of Taniguchi's 'Koten and Koden honkyoku' set available from http://www.shakuhachi.com. The set is expensive but very good value considering the number of pieces.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2008-04-20 16:41:01

jamesnyman

All three pieces are available from Monty in the Takashi Tokuyama Shakuhachi Honkyoku Sheet Music (In Kinko Ryu Notation)...Red Series/Advanced. The price is $7.50 each + shipping. They are printed on nice card stock and are very easy to read.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#4 2008-04-20 17:10:45

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

jamesnyman wrote:

All three pieces are available from Monty in the Takashi Tokuyama Shakuhachi Honkyoku Sheet Music (In Kinko Ryu Notation)...Red Series/Advanced. The price is $7.50 each + shipping. They are printed on nice card stock and are very easy to read.

Ken, in SF Sharaku carries these and she might have those pieces.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2008-04-20 18:35:43

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Ask and you shall receive. Thanks everyone.

Ken

#6 2008-04-20 20:17:26

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

The three pieces in the Taniguchi book are "Soo Kyorei", "Soo Mukaiji" and "Soo Koku". These are very different versions than any other I've ever seen. Soo in front of the title means it's going to be quite different than the original.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#7 2008-04-20 22:10:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

chikuzen wrote:

The three pieces in the Taniguchi book are "Soo Kyorei", "Soo Mukaiji" and "Soo Koku". These are very different versions than any other I've ever seen. Soo in front of the title means it's going to be quite different than the original.

Totally different. I think those are improvisations Taniguchi transcribed into Kinko notation, correct Chikuzen? They're good pieces and the notation is easy to follow. In fact thanks for reminding me I'll dig those out and play them later on!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2008-04-21 04:43:51

Kian

chikuzen wrote:

Hello,

So where couzld one find the originals?

Thanks in advance

Life is like a mirror that reflects our often wrong beliefs

#9 2008-04-21 13:40:23

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I would think that the Meian versions or the Taizan Ha versions are the closest we'll get to the originals. Phil and Brian might/could/should know about that. I play those versions and the Yokoyama version of Koku.

I would have to agree with you Brian about the Taniguchi scores being "improv" off of the originals. He was into the "Shin", "Gyo", "Soo" thing a bit and the Soo was "your own style".  In the corner of the page it also says "Fuke Shu Honkyoku"?

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#10 2008-04-21 14:32:00

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I got some more info. :
   "The Shin, So, Gyo versions are all from the shinpo-ryu originally. Your score from Taniguchi of So Koku follows 
fairly closely the shinporyu with the exception that the signature phrase, the 'iki-nayashi' phrases have been replaced by ha-ra-ro!"

Cheers,

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#11 2008-04-24 02:39:31

Kian

chikuzen wrote:

I would think that the Meian versions or the Taizan Ha versions are the closest we'll get to the originals. Phil and Brian might/could/should know about that. I play those versions and the Yokoyama version of Koku.

I would have to agree with you Brian about the Taniguchi scores being "improv" off of the originals. He was into the "Shin", "Gyo", "Soo" thing a bit and the Soo was "your own style".  In the corner of the page it also says "Fuke Shu Honkyoku"?

Thanks Chikuzen, I'll try and find some notations and possibly recordings that go with it. Do you have any pointers?

Kind regards

Life is like a mirror that reflects our often wrong beliefs

Board footer