Tube of delight!

#1 2008-05-02 10:34:42

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

"fingering chart maker" on computers

Hello shakuhachi people.

I was wondering if any of you know:
• Which software to use to make a fingering chart where you can with 5 circles (either filled with black or not filled) show which holes are open or closed?
• Or if it is not a software how to do it?

In my thesis, I need to show the alternative fingerings I have used in the 5 new pieces composed for me. And instead of writing with words which holes are closed, open and partially closed/open, it would be so much easier to grasp for the reader to see these circles (and probably easier for me to avoid mistakes).

I did look around to see if anybody else had asked this question before. If it is a repeater... sorry! smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#2 2008-05-02 10:58:05

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: "fingering chart maker" on computers

Kiku Day wrote:

Hello shakuhachi people.

I was wondering if any of you know:
• Which software to use to make a fingering chart where you can with 5 circles (either filled with black or not filled) show which holes are open or closed?
• Or if it is not a software how to do it?

Hi Kiku,

This is a "cavewoman" way of doing it, but many word processing programs will allow you to draw circles which are outlined or solid. It's basically a matter of create, copy, paste and drag. This works if you don't have too many examples. It's time consuming. Otherwise, I think you'd need a more sophisticated program. Unfortunately, I don't know of one. I'm sure some members with more experience in graphic design will have a better idea.

Ken

#3 2008-05-02 11:50:44

chuck091956
Website

I used a screen capture of a small shakuhachi outline and added the 5 empty circles. Then in the paint program filled the ones I needed and saved the graphic as it English name of the note. Takes a little time but once you have them they can be pasted into your word processor again and again.

Chuck Peck

#4 2008-05-03 03:39:25

Bruce Hunter

Kiku!
Sent you a zipped font file at your email link. Hope it's what you need. You should be able to use it in a word processor, spreadsheet (my preferred), or draw/graphics program text box.
Bruce

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#5 2008-05-05 04:43:01

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Bruce, Ed, Chuck and Ken.

Thank you both for the replies and emails you have sent me with suggestions on how to do this font thing.
It has been a great help!
And sorry to be away from the forum for a few days and be late in replying to you. I was out running my first half marathon! He he! smile
I might email you back if I can't figure out how to use the fonts and systems you have advised me to use.

A big spring kiss to you all!
I tell you the Danish beech forests in spring with white anemone flowers in bloom are SO beautiful! And that is right now! Therefore the spring kiss...!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer