World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-05-18 20:02:22

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Great Tibet Documentary

This documentary was made by a Swiss T.V channell and expalins internall issues that Tibetan Buddhism has. This serves to prove yet again how the image of the Dalai Lama and his bunch is somehow painted with the wrong colors most of the time.

I do hope that this will help followers of Tibetan ideology to see clearly troughout the mess that His Hollyness as he likes to be called is creating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNl4tBBZ_m0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biNfPngn2WM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QEIrQZcLYA

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#2 2008-05-19 06:42:42

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Great Tibet Documentary

Hi Gishin.
Thanks for the links to the video clips. I didn't know these although the TV programme is more than 10 years old.
And thank you so much for being so courageous and showing the darker sides of Tibetan society, so we can get a more balanced view. I have tried to do so myself, but have realised it is not always easy to show the shadow as a contrast to teh bright sides.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2008-05-19 08:21:20

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/angrylama_2.jpg

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2008-05-19 08:44:31

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

One of my friends was a chef at Chez Panisse in Berkeley. Dalai Lama came in and munched on a dead lamb. Later I read an interview with him and he said, "I am a vegetarian half the time because I only eat meat every other day." Dude is a serious rationalizer. I am also angry with him because we offered him the Zen Moderator post, he refused! Then after Horst also turned us down we had to get Gishin. wink

#5 2008-05-19 10:46:52

Seth

Gishin wrote:

I do hope that this will help followers of Tibetan ideology to see clearly troughout the mess that His Hollyness as he likes to be called is creating.

I never really got the whole "hollyness" thing.  (Sp: Holyness?) I had always thought that the idea of something or somone as 'holy' to be a bit anti-thetical to the core message of the Buddha.  And if you think the Lama is bad on this regard I am sure you must be a bit saddened when you see people in Sri Lanka worshipping the Buddha's tooth.   Sadly when you dive into the details nearly all of the organized Buddhist sects are about as far from the Buddha's message as modern day Christianity has wandered from the original message of Christ.  (Note recent photo op featuring the Pope and.... DICK CHENEY!!!)

It just goes to show the wisdom of the old story about the devil and his pupil who once observed a man finding a peice of truth on the road side.

His pupil said : "No! That man just found some truth, shouldnt we stop him!":

To which the devil replied "Ah, No worries!  He will surely use this truth to recruit some followers, get organized, consolidate power and ultimatly cause more harm than good!"

#6 2008-05-19 11:08:04

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Seth wrote:

Gishin wrote:

I never really got the whole "hollyness" thing.  (Sp: Holyness?) I had always thought that the idea of something or somone as 'holy' to be a bit anti-thetical to the core message of the Buddha.  And if you think the Lama is bad on this regard I am sure you must be a bit saddened when you see people in Sri Lanka worshipping the Buddha's tooth.   Sadly when you dive into the details nearly all of the organized Buddhist sects are about as far from the Buddha's message as modern day Christianity has wandered from the original message of Christ.  (Note recent photo op featuring the Pope and.... DICK CHENEY!!!)

It just goes to show the wisdom of the old story about the devil and his pupil who once observed a man finding a peice of truth on the road side.

His pupil said : "No! That man just found some truth, shouldnt we stop him!":

To which the devil replied "Ah, No worries!  He will surely use this truth to recruit some followers, get organized, consolidate power and ultimatly cause more harm than good!"

Well said!

Yes indeed the Sri-Lanka thing is another story but with the somehow the same taste. What gets to me about that Dalai Lama guy is the fact that he says to stop worshipping such and such Buddhist deity because this is not REAL Buddhism. By just saying this it clearly shows that he is far from any reality when it comes to Buddhism who the heck is he to say this i sgood and that is not good? Hell their whole Buddhist school as they call it is based on the saying of oracles and that make each Dalai Lama become a living god that has to be worshipped as a reincarnated Buddha so this is in fact idol worshipping as well. This is a load of crap if he was really into Buddhism and not in self promotion and promotion of his religious political agenda his discourse and the discourse of his messed up school of what he calls Buddhsim would be different.

The story of Tibetan faith is a story of violence from the beginning and they always had doctrinal issues that resulted in war and genocide so quite honestly why the Chinese governemnt would want to deal with such religious lunatics that did the same stuff as what Muslim integrists are doing?

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#7 2008-05-19 11:34:23

indigo

What is the "core message of the Buddha"?

What is Dorje Shugden practice?

What do the Chinese think about Japanese Buddhism?

Played Diawagaku in a bar the other day at bartender's request for his friends.

They listened and she said the sound reduced her stress as her day was intense.

The guy said nothing.  Back to eating.

The bartender handed me a shot of burbon we both drank.  Then he gave me as much beer as I could drink for the rest of the night.

Next morning, the blues.

Torsten Olafssen's thesis "Kaido Honsoku" comes to mind.

never seen a coin that is not tarnished equally on both sides

wish I could practice more

love posts on harmonics and interval practice

thanks

#8 2008-05-19 17:48:02

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Seth wrote:

I never really got the whole "hollyness" thing.  (Sp: Holyness?) I had always thought that the idea of something or somone as 'holy' to be a bit anti-thetical to the core message of the Buddha.  And if you think the Lama is bad on this regard I am sure you must be a bit saddened when you see people in Sri Lanka worshipping the Buddha's tooth.

Now we're getting into semantics. What do "holiness" and "worship" mean?

I don't know Tibetan but His Holiness is probably a translation of a Tibetan phrase which may or may not mean the same thing to them as it means to us. Who knows? Anyway it is true that the Dalai Lama has quite a bit of hype surrounding him.

Regarding the tooth in Kandy. I've been there. They are not worshipping it. They are venerating it. They don't say, "Dear Tooth, please forgive me for my sins." or "Dear Tooth, please help my daughter get into a good college." They just go there and bow to the tooth as a way of showing respect for Buddha and Buddhism itself. They believe it is the tooth of the Buddha (regardless of whether it actually is) and this is their way of feeling close to Buddha. If you talk to Buddhists in Sri Lanka they say there are different levels of engagement with Buddhism depending upon the intelligence and understanding of the practitioner. Intellectuals will say statues are not necessary for the smart person, and have them just for aesthetic purposes. However for the common and simple person statues and images (or relics as with the tooth) are devices for practicing Buddhism. Without them it's too abstract for some people.

Incidentally this is even more prominent in the West where Western Buddhists seem to desperately need props to practice Buddhism. Because they're mostly converts from other religions that use props. They need continuity. This accounts for the thriving business in statues, Tibetan bowls, wall hangings, and I suppose shakuhachi. At least we actually play the shakuhachi rather than just looking at it.

The Tooth of Buddha also has temporal value. There is a belief that who controls the tooth rules the country. Therefore there have been numerous wars and battles over the tooth. At one point South Indians actually took it back to India but the Sinhalese retrieved it, thus retaining power over the country. This is why the Tamils have tried to destroy it recently. To destablize the Sri Lankan government. So in a sense it's like the Liberty Bell in America. Americans don't worship it, but it has symbolic power.

#9 2008-05-19 18:46:50

Seth

Tairaku-

Yes, no doubt different people relate to the artifacts of Buddhism on different levels  BUT at the Temple in Kandy, and at nearly every other Buddhist shrine in Asia I ever visited, I have seen all sorts of people asking for favors from the Buddha as if he was God or Jesus. 

In Japan for a few hundred Yen you can dip your hand in a bowl and get a fortune.

Otherplaces you can give some coins and get a great blessing for your unborn child.

At a temple in bangkok a monk offered us a prayer for good health in exchange for a few bhat. 

In Kandy, If I recall, there is a tree that if you water just right will grant you good luck.

And dont get me even started on the belief in True Land Buddhism that simple faith in the Buddha is enough to get you to the 'True Land' AKA heavan. 

Basically I saw all of these temples encouraging the most primitive types of supersition imaginable in order to bring some people in and make a few quick bucks.   

Overall my time in Asia left me thrilled about the Buddha, but very depressed about Buddhism.   I have yet to find an institutionalized religion that was not rotten to its core.

#10 2008-05-19 19:03:33

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Seth wrote:

Tairaku-

Yes, no doubt different people relate to the artifacts of Buddhism on different levels  BUT at the Temple in Kandy, and at nearly every other Buddhist shrine in Asia I ever visited, I have seen all sorts of people asking for favors from the Buddha as if he was God or Jesus. 

I.

Not likely. They kneel in front of the tooth and recite Buddhist sutras. Sri Lankan Buddhists turn to the Hindu gods for favors.

Seth wrote:

In Kandy, If I recall, there is a tree that if you water just right will grant you good luck.

I suppose that's the pipal tree near Peradeniya. It's like a wishing well. Once again they are requesting safe passage for travelers from the Hindu gods.

Sri Lankan Buddhism is different from Tibetan for example in this regard. Tibetan Buddhism absorbed a lot of the local animistic gods and now call them Buddhist gods. In Sri Lanka they just go to the right god for the job, and those are the Hindu gods. It's like calling a plumber to get your toilet fixed.

#11 2008-05-19 21:08:36

Jon Shingetsu
Website

i can understand why people would find comfort in the belief that there could be an altruistic form of ruler ship. the added drama of paradise lost adds more emotion and attachment to the whole illusion.

the diamond sutra in the first verse shows by example how a buddha goes about life. in this case it's Shakyamuni or "The buddha". you can find it here:

(http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/clubs/buddhi … mond1.html)

Bodhidharma's teachings also cut to the heart of things well:

(http://zencast.wordpress.com/2008/01/01 … am-sermon/)

a few tid bits that partain to this discussion would be:

"Beyond mind you’ll never see a Buddha. The Buddha is a product of the mind. Why look for a Buddha beyond this mind?"

"Don’t use a Buddha to worship a Buddha. And don’t use the mind to invoke a Buddha.” Buddhas don’t recite sutras.” Buddhas don’t keep precepts.” And Buddhas don’t break precepts. Buddhas don’t keep or break anything. Buddhas don’t do good or evil."

"the spirit in which a bodhisattva should practice generosity, not relying on signs. Why? If a bodhisattva practices generosity without relying on signs, the happiness that results cannot be conceived of or measured."

"Whoever sees his nature is a Buddha. If you don’t see your nature, invoking Buddhas, reciting sutras, making offerings, and keeping precepts are all useless. Invoking Buddhas results in good karma, reciting sutras results in a good memory; keeping precepts results in a good rebirth, and making offerings results in future blessings-but no buddha."

#12 2008-05-19 21:47:01

Seth

Tairaku wrote:

Sri Lankan Buddhism is different from Tibetan for example in this regard. Tibetan Buddhism absorbed a lot of the local animistic gods and now call them Buddhist gods. In Sri Lanka they just go to the right god for the job, and those are the Hindu gods. It's like calling a plumber to get your toilet fixed.

The fact that these superstitions are Hindu in origin is no excuse.

Yes, these practicies are Hindu in origin and not from Buddhism - but that does not negate the fact that the Buddhist leadership enjoys the benefits of maintaining these superstitions. 

And actually there are really no religious systems that are entirely original - they are mere transmutations of something that came before it. 

Half of Islam is from Judaism

Half of Christianity is from old European paganism.

Half of Judaism is from Zorastranism

Half of Buddhism is from Hinduism...

But this is a digression - my real point is that whereas the message of the Buddha was about enlightenment the message of the modern Buddhist structure is more about superstition and magic.   I am not talking about the modern hip Buddhism of Berkeley and New York, I am talking about the mass of Buddhism that stretches across Asia.

Board footer