World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-19 16:14:37

Derek Van Choice
Website

Building a straightening Jig

Greetings!

Amassing a bit of good bamboo now, it is time to take the plunge and build a straightening jig.  The one I am considering is similar to what Hoshi Bonchiku uses (http://www.japanshakuhachi.com/bonchiku.html).  Are there any more preferred methods?

While learning the abura nuki pre-curing process in Japan, we used a small pot for the ironwood charcoal, to heat the bamboo.  I did not have time to cover the straightening process with the teacher, so I am on my own on this part.  Is charcoal also the most preferred?  A torch seems archaec and burn risky, and a stove, likewise.

I do remember reading that the node is predominantly where the straightening must occur (actually being the weakest part of the bamboo), and moist towels on either side of the node are a good preventative for burning the main portions.  Si?

Many gracious thanks, in advance!

smile

Derek

Last edited by Derek Van Choice (2006-03-19 16:16:29)

#2 2006-03-20 03:57:27

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Building a straightening Jig

Hello Derek,
I don't know anything about the culm straightening process but am interested to learn. Would you please describe the Hoshi Bonchiku jig you mention. Also how hot you need to get the culm and any other relevant details.

I used my glass stove hob to heat some culms, pretty easy to do, don't think you would burn a culm as you can hear it sweating oils and steam before it gets hot and dry enough to combust.

Then I have used my electric pottery kiln to heat culms to 110°C, this gave a reasonable sweat though next time I intend to go to 120°C, perhaps higher. The kiln is very temperature controllable.
This kiln heating penetrates deeper than Abura nuki which I think affects mainly the outer surface. I would like to have a go with a gas torch except I am blind and they won't let me near matches.

Looking forward to learning how to make a bent culm straight.

Kel    §

Kia Kaha !

#3 2006-03-20 19:26:55

Derek Van Choice
Website

Re: Building a straightening Jig

Hi, Kel...

The link to the Bonchiku jig is about the best info I have, other than what I can surmise by looking.  Pressure clamp on top, with staggered lower supports to apply the opposing forces... pretty basic, really.  The heating is what I am most curious about.

The pottery kiln you mention is an interesting idea, especially if one could make a taped top to it, allowing the heat to escape from a slot, versus the whole diameter, to more pinpoint the heat where desired. 

I am anxious to learn more, myself!

smile

Board footer