World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-02-18 15:54:22

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Finishing the bore work with beauty

Hello! 

I would like to know how the pro makers use to make the last application of lacquer inside the bore. How you make the finish job, to get a smooth finish?  How to proceed to make it look beautiful?

Peace, Henrique.

Omnia mea mecum porto

#2 2008-05-27 13:26:16

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Finishing the bore work with beauty

Musgo da Pedra wrote:

Hello! 

I would like to know how the pro makers use to make the last application of lacquer inside the bore. How you make the finish job, to get a smooth finish?  How to proceed to make it look beautiful?

Peace, Henrique.

Henrique,

For jiari shakuhachi, the early steps are important in eventually getting a smooth bore finish. This involves grinding high spots in the first application of ji and filling small craters with wetter coats of ji. Grind smooth between coats with sandstone or charcoal glued to a stick or with grades of sandpaper. Running water through the bore during the grinding stage helps smooth it out. Once it is very smooth, apply a thin base coat and a few finish coats of urushi. Fine grind between coats. To polish, rub in a rottenstone and oil mixture then buff.

There are many ways to do this. This is one method I've had luck with. Like any sanding or polishing method, I think the key is to work gradually.

For jinashi shakuhachi, depending on the sound you are looking for, this type of finish may or may not be as desirable or practical. It is the irregularity of the bore which gives a jinashi shakuhachi its complex tone which some find desirable. However, for a more "reflective" and less "absorbed" sound, more time can be spent on the finish of the jinashi bore.

Hope this helps.

Ken

#3 2008-05-27 13:43:16

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Hi Ken! 

I was thinking that this old post was dead. 

Of course it help me... I have some flutes waiting for this kind of job, and I'm going without haste to not make a bad work... 

I am using a chemical lacquer and thinking about start to use urushi... But looking at Mejiro, I stayed in doubt about which one use... Can you give a tip on this too? 

Thank you Ken! 

Henrique

Omnia mea mecum porto

#4 2008-05-27 14:14:06

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Musgo da Pedra wrote:

I am using a chemical lacquer and thinking about start to use urushi... But looking at Mejiro, I stayed in doubt about which one use... Can you give a tip on this too? 

Thank you Ken! 

Henrique

Henrique,

If you would like to make a ji paste, seshime urushi is the best choice. I've used substitute powder from hardware stores (fix-all, etc.) with good results but you can order tonoko powder from Mejiro as well. Just mix with the seshime urushi and a little water.

For finish urushi, Roiro-Lacquer (requires polishing) or Black Finishing Lacquer (requires no polishing) is best. Thin with turpentine.

Dry overnight in a humid box between coats.

Urushi can cause skin rashes so be careful!

Also, I've purchased exeptional quality urushi from this company in Japan.

http://www.namikawa-ltd.co.jp/cgi-bin/list_e.cgi

Good luck!
Ken

#5 2008-05-27 23:40:42

LithoSphere
Website

Hey Ken, I thought you thinned your urushi with Bombay Saphire - or is that an urban legend?  Whatever you do - the smell of your flutes is unlike any other.

Fear is the cheapest room in the house; I would like to see you in better living conditions.(Jalaluddin Rumi)

#6 2008-05-28 10:57:05

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

LithoSphere wrote:

Hey Ken, I thought you thinned your urushi with Bombay Saphire - or is that an urban legend?  Whatever you do - the smell of your flutes is unlike any other.

Just a few drops! The addition of Sapphire or your favorite elixir is optional.

#7 2008-05-28 11:10:27

Musgo da Pedra
Website

hehehehehe

Nice...

: {p

Omnia mea mecum porto

Board footer