Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-06-07 18:19:41

Carl Ayotte
Website

I'm Carl from Nashua, NH

I'm so embarrassed to admit that, even though I'm a full time professional musician, and consider myself well versed in the study of musical instruments, until Today, I knew very little to nothing about the Shakuhachi flute!!!

I knew the sound of course, but about an hour ago I was strolling through a local antique store (or junk store), and saw this bamboo flute with 5 holes, and a mouthpiece/blow hole I was totally unfamiliar with. (I'm a sax player first) I mainly go to antique stores to add to my Tiki collection (mugs, witco furniture, hula girls, etc.) so whenever I see bamboo, I stop. I bought it for $23. (thinking that's a little steep for what will probably become decoration in my Tiki Lounge) but since I'm in the process of organizing an Exotica/Hapa Haole/Surf Revue Band, perhaps I could learn to get some tones out of it for the Exotica portion. (I have a bamboo sax I plan to use as well)

I came home, and Google searched "5 hole bamboo flute" and that is where my education began.

A quick Internet search seems to suggest that I got a bargain, unless this thing's a real dog, but the reason I bought it, is that it seemed to be a well crafted piece in the first place, so we'll see.

Eventually I want to know where it was made, who may have made it, whether it's handmade or just some quick tourist knock off etc. but I won't start in asking all sorts of questions here on my first day.

I'm just thrilled that this place exists, and I hope I get somewhat proficient enough to consider myself a player.

Carl

#2 2008-06-07 22:15:51

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: I'm Carl from Nashua, NH

Greetings Carl and welcome to the the lush world of shakuhachi.
Your story isn't unusual as many of us came to the shakuhachi from other instruments in very unexpected ways.
If you can, post a picture of your shakuhachi.  Are there any symbols burned or carved near the back hole of the instrument?  Post a picture of that too.  Are there any cracks in the bamboo?  Is the inside coated with some kind of paint or lacquer, or is it bare?  What are the general dimensions of the instrument (length, diameter, hole spacing, hole diameter, etc.)?  At any rate, $23 is extremely cheap even for something that doesn't come up to snuff for the shakuhachi.  Good instruments typically cost over $2000.
There is certainly a wealth of information in these pages as you have no doubt noticed.  Please use the search function to see what has been posted in the past.  Likely any questions that you might have, have been addressed before.  If they haven't, then people here are always willing to help.  Also, if you are seriously considering moving forward with the instrument, it's a very good idea to consider taking some lessons with a qualified teacher as things aren't as straight forward as one might think.  The shakuhachi is simple in construction, but very complex in it's expressive possibilities and your capabilities will certainly emerge under the guidance of a good teacher.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2008-06-08 15:36:47

Carl Ayotte
Website

Thanks so much for responding so quickly!

Here is a web page I put up with pics of my Shakuhachi.

http://www.carlayotte.com/shakuhachi.htm

I did some measuring.

It seems to be just under 20 inches long (50 1/2 cm)

The whole at top seems to be just under one inch in diameter.

The finger holes are about 1 cm wide, and they're about 6 cm apart.

No cracks that I can see.

The inside seemed bare to me, but upon looking at the pictures, I can see there is a definite red hue.
No symbols that I can see by the thumb hole, possibly some marks down by the "bell" that can be seen in the pictures. (they may just be scratches too)

What you can hardly see in the pictures of the "blow hole" is in the "notch" (forgive my quite possibly incorrect terms) what seems to be a kind of marble/stone inlay. You can see light pass through it in some areas.

If I choose to pursue playing this in any serious way at all, I will certainly get a teacher. Perhaps it's because I'm trying it on a very hot and muggy day, but I'm getting light headed just trying to get a tone!

Thanks again for responding,

Carl

#4 2008-06-08 16:51:14

rpowers

Carl Ayotte wrote:

What you can hardly see in the pictures of the "blow hole" is in the "notch" (forgive my quite possibly incorrect terms) what seems to be a kind of marble/stone inlay. You can see light pass through it in some areas.

The variegation of the inlay suggests that it is likely some kind of horn.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#5 2008-06-08 22:47:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi Carl,

What you have there is a Myoan 1.7, most likely jinashi. If you don't understand these terms use our search function.  Approximate age I would guess to be around 60-80 years. I can't tell how good it is without playing it, but it looks like it could be OK. If you want to send it to me I can give you a better appraisal.

This flute would not be suitable for traditional study but it might be a good player.

$23 is definitely a good price for that.

Regards,

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2008-06-09 17:38:24

Carl Ayotte
Website

Thanks so much, this site is fantastic.

I'll probably seek out local experts (Boston area) for appraisal and playability. I have friends in the woodwind departments at the Conservatory and Berklee.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I stumbled upon this Shakuhachi, and then found this site.

#7 2008-06-09 18:37:11

edosan
Edomologist

Carl Ayotte wrote:

Thanks so much, this site is fantastic.

I'll probably seek out local experts (Boston area) for appraisal and playability. I have friends in the woodwind departments at the Conservatory and Berklee.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I stumbled upon this Shakuhachi, and then found this site.

Carl, the ONLY expert that can fully appraise your shakuhachi is going to be a good shakuhachi player--not necessarily a pro, but someone with a lot of experience. You might consider sending it to Brian (although I realize that that would be costly and take time away from your use of it). Perry Yung (New York City) and Monty Levenson (Willets, CA) are closer to you and both will give you a pretty good take on your flute, and the charge wll be for shipping only. Both people are also excellent repairmen.

There is a member of the Forum in Boston (student at Berklee) who may be able to give you some good feedback on your flute. Name's Geni.

Here's a link to his contact info here on the Forum: http://shakuhachiforum.com/profile.php?id=120

And here's one to Perry's contact info: http://shakuhachiforum.com/profile.php?id=7

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#8 2008-06-09 22:12:52

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Sending it to Perry would be a good idea. It has to be someone with experience and an affinity with Myoan flutes.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer