You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-06-09 06:28:58

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

difficult

Hi folks,
I've been thrown a piece of music that calls for a trill over two measures between high D (ha) and F (dai kan no tsu no chu no meri) played on a D 1.8.  I realize that I could simply change instruments to something that accommodates the difficulties better, but I was more wondering about suggestions for executing this on a 1.8 D flute.
I appreciate any suggestions.
cheers
Jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#2 2008-06-09 11:33:00

Bruce Hunter

Re: difficult

Hi Jeff,

Rapid alternation between two *adjacent* pitches is a *trill*. What we're looking for is *tremolo* fingering. 8^)

I just investigated the 32 possible fingerings using only fully open or fully closed holes, and had no joy. Later today I'll check the next group of fingerings which include half-holes. (About 211, I think, but I could be wrong. Computer at work will tell me for sure.) On that other flute, this is a trivial exercise, simply use G fingering for D, and (thumb) Bb fingering for F. Shakuhachi, of course, (mine, anyway), tend not to play by the same rules, so this is going to be trickier. Possibly a Monty cast-bore instrument might co-operate, but none of my flutes at home will. I have other shakuhachi at work and even some shakuhachi-shaped-objects which may shed some light.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#3 2008-06-10 02:46:29

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate the input.  I agree that this isn't a trill, but in shakuhachi terms, it's more like korokoro...but not exactly. 
At any rate, it's really tough.  To play high F in pitch on a 1.8, I think you have to play E O'kari, but it's almost impossible to alternate between the usual fingering for D (ha) and yon no ha o'kari (F).
Sheesh!  The things we are asked to do!

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#4 2008-06-10 03:46:30

Bruce Hunter

Ok, here goes, 243 fingerings and lots of unhappy dogs later...

left to right, higher note first, holes 5 4 3 2 1, o=open, c=closed, h=half hole
h h o o c to o o o c c,
h h o o o to o o o c c,
h h o o h to o o o c h,
h h o h c to o o o h c,
h h o h h to o o o o h or o o o h h

As always, the degree of half-holeness is variable. These work on at least six of my instruments.

None of these are easy, and some are contrary to the "no trilling with fingers of opposite hands moving in opposite directions" convention, but I contend that these "helpers" are to *assist* our thought processes, not *replace* them.

I have one flute that will do the U no SAN - RE overblow thing.

If you're really lucky, the moon is right, and your flute decides to be nice, h c c c h may give the note an octave above dai kan no tsu no chu no meri, or, with RO otsu being D4, F7! (We're searching for a D6/F6)

May you have as much fun working these out, as I did finding them!

later...

Last edited by Bruce Hunter (2008-06-10 10:37:29)

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

Board footer