Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-06-18 07:04:10

simon barker

NHK doco

Hi All
My name is Simon Barker, I'm a drummer living in Sydney, and have been studying the shakuhachi with Dr Riley Lee for a year now. As well as trying to progress as far as I can on the shakuhachi, I'm hoping that my studies will help me find alternative approaches to the drum set relating to texture, sound/silence, and phrasing. It's been a wonderful experience studying with Riley and I'm looking forward to hearing guest performers at this years festival.

I wanted to let any members living Japan (who are unable to attend the festival here) know about a feature documentary film that follows an extraordinary journey I made throughout Korea to understand more about Korean shaman music and Korean aesthetic concepts relating to music. The film is centered on a unforgettable meeting I had with shaman ritualist Kim Seok Chul in the final days of his life.

The documentary looks at various forms of music and musical thought, ranging from shamanic traditions to pansori and farmers percussion bands (nongak). We were very fortunate to attend several rare events including a healing ritual for shaman performer and Cultural Asset, Kim Seok Chul.

The film, entitled "Intangible Asset Number 82" in English or 韓国の鼓動と踊る” ~オーストラリア人ドラマーの旅 in Japanese, will be broadcast on NHK BShi at 8pm on the 3rd of July.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/bs/hvsp/

If you get a chance to view it I hope you enjoy what you see.

Simon

#2 2008-06-18 14:06:01

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: NHK doco

Hi Simon,

Sounds awesome! I worked at the Seoul Institute for the Arts in the summer of 1997 to produce a theater piece that incorporated traditional Korean actors and musicians with New York City experimentalists. That experience had a profound effect on how I experience music. I was lucky to have studied some Jang-Go drumming as part of the exchange. One of the actresses was a famous (we were told) Ponsuri singer named Park Yun Cho. She was mesmerizing. We also witnessed some shamanism. The music is deep, much like Honkyoku but a different journey.

Looking forward to hearing about your film and shakuhachi journey.
Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-06-18 15:23:28

marek
Website

Hi,

this sounds just terrific! Will there be any chance to view it on the internet with English subs?
Or is there someone willing to walk the border line of law? wink

Cheers,

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#4 2008-06-18 15:51:37

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Hi Simon,

Sounds awesome! I worked at the Seoul Institute for the Arts in the summer of 1997 to produce a theater piece that incorporated traditional Korean actors and musicians with New York City experimentalists. That experience had a profound effect on how I experience music. I was lucky to have studied some Jang-Go drumming as part of the exchange. One of the actresses was a famous (we were told) Ponsuri singer named Park Yun Cho. She was mesmerizing. We also witnessed some shamanism. The music is deep, much like Honkyoku but a different journey.

Looking forward to hearing about your film and shakuhachi journey.
Best, Perry

Here is a video of the previous generation of Park familly Pansori

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DQ3APm0Fd9M

I hope the Documentary has a lot about 大琴 Daegeum inside this flute seems to ba as rich if not more than Shakuhachi in its folklore and also history as well.

I saw also a lot of Dosumentaries on Woemen Shaman (Mudang) on youtube some had Subtitles as well if anyone wants them i can try to search for them again.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

Board footer