Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-06-09 12:35:21

fauzie

From Bandung, Indonesia

Hi All ...

I'm a pro flutist (silver flute) from Indonesia, and a collector of ethnic wind instruments. Unfortunately the majority of my collections are tourist grade and are barely playable, but they do make nice home decorations. I'm trying to 'upgrade' my collections slowly, and  currently I have some decent (not the best, but playable) instruments. Among them are a set of Chinese Di Zi, an Australian Didgeridu, a panflute, Japanese yokobue, and off course, my very own Indonesian suling.

For those who don't know, suling is a bamboo flute with a design somewhere between a recorder and a shakuhachi. It has a very short airduct that makes it easy to play but allows embouchure variations to affect the tone and pitch. Indonesian flutes tend to get a secondary role in the gamelan orchestra, but here in Bandung, the suling is much more dominant and refined. It is tuned in F# and capable of producing two different pentatonic scales, as well as diatonic scale with proper technique. It has 6 fingerholes and a range of approximately 3 octaves.

I decided to tackle the shakuhachi next. Unfortunately there is no player in the vicinity, and no instruments available. But being in a bamboo country, I have all the resources needed to built one myself. So currently I have a self-made shakuhachi that .. well.. it produces sound.

I'm here to find solutions to my never-ending tuning problem big_smile

#2 2008-06-09 13:07:25

philthefluter
Website

Re: From Bandung, Indonesia

Welcome Fauzie! I was in a gamalan ensemble for a year and had a bash at the suling a few times. An amazing flute and such a rich tradition. I hope you find what you're looking for....

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2008-06-19 11:56:10

Safiya

Re: From Bandung, Indonesia

Hi Fauzie

Nice to hear from Indonesia and welcome to the forum. Was there long time ago and have a wonderfull memory from gamelan. Recently, we had some gamelan playing in Paris with 2 seling. I was guessing how I could get a good one for an affordable price. I bought one, but tourist quality, in Bali, now the embouchure is no more working. But I do like its melancolic tune.
Could you help?
I will not be able to help you to tune your bamboo smile but may be how to buy a playable shakuhachi if you wish one day. But making one is rewarding. Tried allready. Lucky you to have beautifull bamboos around!

Dominique

Through conscious beings, the universe has generated self awareness

Board footer