•  » Portraits - Shakuhachi and Piano Duets - Geni Skendo, Domink Wania

#1 2008-06-22 05:12:28

Bruce Hunter

Portraits - Shakuhachi and Piano Duets - Geni Skendo, Domink Wania

Portraits
Shakuhachi and Piano Duets
Geni Skendo – Shakuhachi, Domink Wania – Piano
CD Baby

Warning! Collision of two temperments! Piano, with its fixed pitches and shakuhachi would seem an unlikely combination but this pair makes it work. Dominik Wania is exactly the right person for this collaboration. He has entered into the spirit of the enterprise, and allowed the music to come first, rather than his undoubtedly formidable prowess on the ivories. Good accompanists/partners are hard to find, I hope this one sticks around for more collaborations. Geni Skendo has found some interesting voices for this project, which I hope bodes well for future projects. There are some sonic episodes which I found a little off-putting at first, due to pitch requirements of piano, and shakuhachi notes needing to be where Geni put them, but second and subsequent listenings revealed instead, some very interesting acoustic events occurring. Altogether, a thoroughly enjoyable and keepable CD

Oh, almost forgot, Geni has created an Öhrwurm in one of the pieces, and no, I’m not going to tell which one. 8^)

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Portraits - Shakuhachi and Piano Duets - Geni Skendo, Domink Wania

Board footer