World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-07 17:36:39

marek
Website

Contemporary setting

Hi,

I am looking for some hints on recordings which feature shakuhachi in contemporary musical setting, electronics possibly.

Sofar, I have found a superb album by Dj Krush called Jaku.

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers,

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#2 2008-07-07 19:17:20

mrosenlof

Re: Contemporary setting

Chris Blasdel at:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/baycyb

I don't have a review for you.  I'm not sure I would consider it truly a contemporary musical setting.

Mike Rosenlof

#3 2008-07-13 18:19:23

jdanza
Website

Here's some I own and like (not every track but they all have great stuff).

Kojiro Umezaki - Extraditional
Neutral Point - Forest (with Akikazu Nakamura on shakuhachi.)(some great flute playing but also some very schmaltzy songs).
Zen Reveries - Christopher Yomei Blasdel & Kazuo Uehara
Floating Clouds - Larry Tyrrell
Peter Ross has released a few interesting world music recordings and is a great player
and of course... lots of stuff by John Kaizan Neptune, except I don't think he's done anything with electronics.
Hozan Yamamoto is an amazing player and very innovative.

Enjoy and keep blowing...

Last edited by jdanza (2008-07-13 18:25:59)

#4 2008-07-13 20:42:10

Moran from Planet X
Website

James Franklin "Again The Stars" (Shakuhachi, Theramin, Double Bass). You can see James play the shakuhachi part of this on on DVD #5 of the Fourth International Shakuhachi Festival DVD collection which you can get from http://www.shakuhachi.com. I forget the name of the album that this piece is on, though.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#5 2008-07-13 21:43:59

radi0gnome
Website

I don't have any contributions to the list that's building here, but I'd be interested to know if there are any electronic settings for shakuhachi with music similar to The Orb, Royksopp, Air, Otros Aires, Narco tango, Gotan Project, Sounds from the Ground, Boards of Canada, etc... genre. It seems like it would be a good fit. There are a number of groups that managed to fit in bandoneon for electronic tango, I can't see why not shakuhachi. So far the list has gotten some new-age, world, and other neat stuff, but the groups I just mentioned have an entirely different sound where the live instruments integrate with electronics in such a way that it often gets confusing to try to discern which sounds are live and which are electronic and which are live but electronically processed. DJ Krush, mentioned in the first inquiry here goes off into that realm, when I saw this I was hoping that that's the kind of stuff that would start being listed.  It's a different genre, I'm not sure many of the participants on this thread so far are aware. Most of the groups I listed have myspace pages with samples, maybe taking a listen would give contributers to this thread ideas of existing music, if not maybe giving pros here in this forum some ideas of someplace shakuhachi might go and find a nice home in a somewhat new sub-genre.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#6 2008-07-13 23:17:31

jdanza
Website

The James Franklin album is called Aurora, with Michael Atherton. I just downloaded it from Itunes and it's great stuff!. Thanks Chris... What a great player James is!. I hadn't checked him out before.
There's really very little out there... I'm tempted to call a couple of guys and do some myself (I'll keep you posted).
Hasta luego

#7 2008-07-13 23:28:41

Moran from Planet X
Website

jdanza wrote:

The James Franklin album is called Aurora, with Michael Atherton.

Thanks! Here's the sad part: I _have_ the cd and I still couldn't recall the name. Glad it's on iTunes. Before New Age Music was commercialized and renamed "New Age Music" it was called "Music of the Spheres. " James' and Michael's piece fits that latter description nicely.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#8 2008-07-14 14:10:50

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Check out this CD 
Blends -
Yokoyama Katsya shakuhachi
Trilok Gurtu on Tabla & percussion
Richard Teitelbaum on Synthesizer

My favourite track is The Coming of the West.

I got it from Itunes,

Last edited by geni (2008-07-14 14:11:46)

#9 2008-07-14 19:35:20

jdanza
Website

Wow!... Trilok is my favorite percussionist!. I'm downloading it right now!.Thanks Geni.

#10 2008-07-14 19:49:49

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

welcome man.
I love that Album.

Board footer