Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-08 14:27:18

Antonio Olías
Website

Etsuzan Yujiyoshi

Does anyone know how to contact the great Myoan master Etsuzan Fujiyoshi? I was shocked listening recently his CD´s and I´d love if someone could know his contact details for my next to Japan. Thank you.

#2 2008-01-08 20:22:43

Seth

Re: Etsuzan Yujiyoshi

You got me curious.  Can you please describe what was shocking?

#3 2008-01-09 13:08:08

Antonio Olías
Website

Hello Seth,

I´ll try my best to reply your question. One of the things that attract me was his Neiro "tone colour", I was impressed how Etsuzan sensei moves the sound with only one note. I appreciate the quietness and simplicity in his playing. When I heard some tracks of his CD sometimes reminds me the sound of a daegum "Korean bamboo flute", he makes the bamboo sing and at the same time cry. I liked specially how he jumps from one note to other note too. Sometimes the exaggeration of resources and techniques are not necessary but it might depends of the style.

After some months playing loudly the shakuhachi on contemporary music I think that will be good for to invite myself to a quiet way of playing the shakuhachi. I mainly play Kinko Ryu Chikumeisha Honkyoku, Yokoyama Dokyoku Ryu and some Tozan Honkyoku and contemporary music but my favourite is Chikumeisha. My favourite shakuhachi players are Yamaguchi Goro, Etsuzan Fujiyoshi, Yoshikazu Iwamoto and Kohachiro Miyata. I love their way of play the shakuhachi and their neiro and their dynamics.

#4 2008-03-04 09:08:51

Glenn Swann
Website

No idea how to contact him, but I feel as you do, quite impressed by his playing. It is so natural and unforced, quiet yet strong, really a beautiful balance. to me it stands out my not standing out.
I learned Yakushi Nyorai from his Reibo cd and play it often. does anyone know background on that piece? certainly doesn't seem to be fukeshuu honkyoku, or even japanese- seems quite chinese to me(esp. as in the notes it says he has an interest in chinese music). i asked a couple of very experienced teachers about it, and neither knew of it.

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#5 2008-07-14 20:15:31

jdanza
Website

Hola Antonio
  What's the name of the album?.

#6 2008-07-15 03:59:23

Antonio Olías
Website

Hola Joseph,

Que yo sepa Fujiyoshi tiene publicados dos álbumes: Koku y Reibo. Ambos CD´s se pueden comprar a través de Mejiro. ¿Conoces la página? Se anuncian en la cabecera de shakuhachiforum.

Un abrazo,
Antonio.

#7 2008-07-15 05:43:53

jdanza
Website

Gracias hermano... me encanta como tocas...

#8 2008-07-24 00:25:34

DougSherman

"Be a refuge unto yourself" - Buddha Shakyamuni

Board footer