Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: memorizing honkyoku

marek wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

marek wrote:

suidan? kyosui? are they the same?

Suidan is the concept that the phrase lasts for the length of one breath, but it could involve any blowing style.

Thanks Brian
I wanted to have this clear since this is actually the first time I heard the term kyosui. Yes, my teacher plays Kyorei like that, yet after playing with this composition so many times, I realised that he likes to make some phrases particualrly long.

This is the trick with Kyosui. Advanced players find it difficult to restrain themselves from using technique. Anyway someone like Vlastislav or any pro would have longer breath than the average player.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#27 2008-07-16 19:54:40

lowonthetotem
Website

Brian Said
Kyorei uses kyosui which is simply breathing through the flute without any particular breath support or special technique. No vibrato. When I teach it to students I liken it to a golf swing. As with a good swing the ball simply gets in the way of the swing, in kyosui the flute gets in the way of a normal breath. So you just hold the flute in front of your face and breathe through it. The phrase lasts as long as a normal breath, you are not trying to use technique to extend it.

OK I just broke my personal rule not to teach technique on the forum, may the shakuhachi gods forgive me if this confuses anybody.

Thanks Brian.  What you say here has little to do with the timing.  As I listen to the CD's it seems that there are some interesting things about the timing.  I've noticed that the phrase after the longest phrases happen quickly.  It is as if the player is saying, "Yes, I've breathed this long and here I am again, this quick."  The initial Re is long, but the rest are not so long.  There are definite benefits to conserving the air, or maybe not.  I notice easy breath into the second half of the honkyoku, but when I first awake, blow Ro, and then go for the first attempt, I notice easiness throughout the entire honkyoku.  When I "conserve" breath, I guess it dies in me.  When I concentrate on it, it seems to become exhausted by the second half.  You can't hold air in you.  It needs to come in and go out.  You get tired.  At least I do.  I imagine these are rather beginner concerns, but I just thought I'd put it in since "Memorizing Honkyoku" is exactly what I am into at the moment.

Check out my first music video

http://shakuhachibreath.blogspot.com/

Also, I am learning Sakura on my own.  Is theire a forum for Minyo?  Maybe I spelled it wrong.  Where should I post questions on that?

I understand if nobody wants to answer.

Thanks if you take a listen.

Last edited by lowonthetotem (2008-07-16 19:58:33)

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#28 2008-07-17 11:44:25

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

Check out my first music video

http://shakuhachibreath.blogspot.com/

Hey Jeffrey. It takes a lot of guts to put your feelings out there. I like your playing and raw, natural sound. If I may, I have one suggestion - try for a flatter pitched Ou before you pull it down even flatter at the end of the phrase. This is what many teachers have said to me when I first started playing. Flatter...flatter...flatter.

I understand if nobody wants to answer.

Thanks if you take a listen.

The shakuhachi practice is a solitary path for many.

Enjoy the deep breath my friend.
Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#29 2008-07-17 13:15:07

lowonthetotem
Website

Perry wrote
I like your playing and raw, natural sound. If I may, I have one suggestion - try for a flatter pitched Ou before you pull it down even flatter at the end of the phrase.

I know what you mean on the Ou.  It is as if I anticipate the the next step, so it starts out sharper.

I think my sound is less "raw" and more under cooked. wink

I am playing off your notation of the piece, Perry.  I hope I am doing the flute some justice.  I've only been practicing that piece for a week or so.  It will sound better soon, I think.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

Board footer