You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-06-08 12:59:21

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

ban on shakuhachi playing?

Hello shakuhachi people.

I have just read in Wikipedia that shakuhachi playing was banned during four years. I quote here:

Practice of the shakuhachi was banned entirely for four years by the Meiji government, after
          which it was decreed that secular playing was permitted. From that time onward the playing of
          original Fuke pieces, honkyoku, made a very slow recovery. The recovery is continuing to this day.

You can see it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuke_Zen#F … e_in_Japan
under: 3. Development and demise.

I have never heard before that there was a total ban... am I missing something? Ahem...! ! ! !
Has anyone else read this with a reference to a source? I mean if there is a decree, the shource should be easy enough.
Some information are more readily available than others. For example, not everybody knows that the Tokugawa government lifted the monopoly on shakuhachi playing the komuso enjoyed already in 1840s. Perhaps the total ban thing is one such not so popular information of shakuhachi history.... but still...

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#2 2008-06-08 13:58:20

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: ban on shakuhachi playing?

I would not say ban on Shakuhachi playing itself but more BAN on the Komuso activity (Being a Komuso and walk around Japan being a possible spy or informant).

In looking at the Komuso its always important to look at schools that were banned or persecuted during the Meiji restoration like the Shugendo (Yamabushi).

The Yamabushi were prevented from existing and travelling around but their practices were still kept at many of their head temples by resident monks or Yamabushi that became resident monks at the time.

I think it si safe to assume that the Komuso thing was a bit like this as well.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#3 2008-06-08 14:26:55

edosan
Edomologist

I have heard that several times along the way.

The most authoritative source was at the WSF '98 in Boulder at a lecture on the history of the shakuhachi by one of (perhaps THE) the leading scholars on the subject at the time (unfortunately, I don't recall his name, but I'm pretty sure I can come up with it if you wish).

I also think it's mentioned in a monograph, "Shakuhachi Zen, The Fukeshu and Komuso" by James Sanford (Monumenta Nipponica. Vol. 32, No. 4, 1977).

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2008-06-08 16:39:50

Kiku Day
Website

Gishin wrote:

I would not say ban on Shakuhachi playing itself but more BAN on the Komuso activity (Being a Komuso and walk around Japan being a possible spy or informant).

Indeed, that is what I thought. And the fact that th Fuke shu was abolished. To play the shakuhachi as a hoki was banned too, by the way... but I had never heard that actual  shakuhachi playing was banned.

edosan wrote:

The most authoritative source was at the WSF '98 in Boulder at a lecture on the history of the shakuhachi by one of (perhaps THE) the leading scholars on the subject at the time (unfortunately, I don't recall his name, but I'm pretty sure I can come up with it if you wish).

That would be nice. There are scholars such as Tukitani Tuneko, Kamisango Yuko, Yamaguti Osamu, Seyama Toru and Simura Satosi - just to be a little memory aid. smile

edosan wrote:

I also think it's mentioned in a monograph, "Shakuhachi Zen, The Fukeshu and Komuso" by James Sanford (Monumenta Nipponica. Vol. 32, No. 4, 1977).

I just skimmed through it, but couldn't see it. Perhaps I have to look more carefully.
Thanks guys!

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2008-06-08 22:40:46

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I have been told (don't know how accurate the source is) that it was during this time that a lot of the original pieces were lost and the efforts of Taizan were reconstructive in nature. Therefore Myoan music is not really a continuous line and some of the tunes are new compositions.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2008-06-08 22:53:04

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Tairaku wrote:

I have been told (don't know how accurate the source is) that it was during this time that a lot of the original pieces were lost and the efforts of Taizan were reconstructive in nature. Therefore Myoan music is not really a continuous line and some of the tunes are new compositions.

This would not surprise me at all tkaing in consideration Martial-arts and various Buddhist schools in Japan. If teacher or real practittioners ceased to exist the real transmission somehow will get lost even if books and all kinds of other documents still exist. Shakuhachi to me is just like a martial art. You could have all the books you want or DVDs Cds etc but in the end you still need a teacher to directly transmit you the finer points. So all the books cds etc in the end are just helpers for people that already have a teacher.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#7 2008-06-08 23:16:21

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Gishin wrote:

[. You could have all the books you want or DVDs Cds etc but in the end you still need a teacher to directly transmit you the finer points. So all the books cds etc in the end are just helpers for people that already have a teacher.

Excellent point Gishin. The Catch 22 of studying from books and CD's is that you get much more out of them if you already know how to play. They are not so good for beginners or learning how to play. This is a subject that is much discussed here on the forum.

#8 2008-06-09 01:31:16

edosan
Edomologist

Kiku Day wrote:

edosan wrote:

That would be nice. There are scholars such as Tukitani Tuneko, Kamisango Yuko, Yamaguti Osamu, Seyama Toru and Simura Satosi - just to be a little memory aid. smile

Kiku, the shakuhachi scholar I heard at WSF '98 was KANDA Kayu.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2008-06-09 22:21:29

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Kiku
I have heard this a number of times. I also heard that it was due to Araki Kodo II that the ban was lifted, as he persuaded the government that the shakuhachi would be useful in secular music. Don't know any primary sources not exact details.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2008-06-09 22:22:16)

#10 2008-06-09 22:32:43

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Justin wrote:

Hi Kiku
I have heard this a number of times. I also heard that it was due to Araki Kodo II that the ban was lifted, as he persuaded the government that the shakuhachi would be useful in secular music. Don't know any primary sources not exact details.

Justin

I never heard or read that Shakuhachi playing was banned. Warrior class had been playing Shakuhachi for a while and continued to play after and before the ban. The whole ban was on the Fuke-Shu and their activities as travelling laymen or monks that had basicaly a pass that enabled them to go anywhere they wanted that was the actuall issue with their school. If there is anything that states clearly that the PLAYING of Shakuhachi itself was banned I would like to have the exact written source and check it for myself since to me this does not make much sense.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#11 2008-06-09 22:35:22

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Seems unlikely because not every shakuhachi player in Japan would have even heard of the ban if it existed.

#12 2008-06-09 22:40:16

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Seems unlikely because not every shakuhachi player in Japan would have even heard of the ban if it existed.

Exactly Ban was on the Fuke-Shu itself not the instrument or playing of it seems quite simple to me.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#13 2008-06-12 06:54:22

genki desu

Maybe a clue from Dr Lee's thesis, Chapter 3:
http://www.rileylee.net/Thesis14Mar06%2 … chap3.html

Soon after the abolition of the Fuke sect, the two previously mentioned shakuhachi players, Araki and Yoshida, convinced the Meiji government that its further intention of banning altogether the performing of shakuhachi, even as a secular instrument, was neither necessary nor desirable (Kurihara 1918:109-110). Arguing that shakuhachi was worthy of preservation as a secular musical instrument, they encouraged and developed its use in sankyoku ensemble.

Maybe the Kurihara reference has some more details?

Last edited by genki desu (2008-06-12 06:55:19)

#14 2008-06-12 09:42:25

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Seems all good but what would be the best thing to look at is the the exact words/wording of the Meiji governement on the Ban of the Fuke-Shu how was it to be enforced by who what when etc....   What teacher X or Historian Y says is nice but this could only their own interpretation based on records of shakuhachi teachers or enthusiasts. What we nedd here is solid info from Meiji archives.

So seeing the exact word used in the ban on the Fuke-Shu or exact details as to why and how Araki-Kodo could have been able to change any decision the Meiji government had made would be very interesting. The main reason why I ask is that I find it quite interesting that the Meiji government would take the time to listen to such an appeal when they had so much other stuff to care about than a Bamboo flute. So more details on how and why Araki Kodo was able to get to key people in order to change or adjust the original ban will not only clarify this but set the record straight. Not having those details only puts this story in the realm of Shakuhachi folklore.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#15 2008-06-12 10:15:07

lowonthetotem
Website

I am not finding much that is actually digitized to the web, but this would be the place to look if anyone is in Tokyo.  The holding that would be particularly pertinent would be Dajo Ruiten.

http://www.archives.go.jp/english/ourho … l_101.html

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#16 2008-06-12 10:35:24

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

I am not finding much that is actually digitized to the web, but this would be the place to look if anyone is in Tokyo.  The holding that would be particularly pertinent would be Dajo Ruiten.

Surely looks like some of the stuff in which info could be found on bans rules etc.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#17 2008-06-16 04:30:52

Kiku Day
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

Thanks for the links. And thanks to all who answered. This is interesting. Ahhh... so much to research into! smile
I am still asking around regarding the ban. I will let you know if I find some more info.

Kiku

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#18 2008-07-10 10:19:14

Kiku Day
Website

I found something new regarding the prohibition on shakuhachi playing:
In Takahashi Tone's PhD thesis, 'Tozan-ryu: An Innovation of the SHakuhachi Tradition from Fuke-shu to Secularism', he writes in a footnote, 'Yoshida Iccho and Araki Kodo obtained a special dispensation which allowed them to continue to play shakuhachi, not as a sacred instrument, but as a musical one' (Takahashi 1990:122). What is not 100% clear here is whether they got dispensation to play secular music... but that doesn't make sense as the Fuke sect was abolished when they got this dispensation.
Takahshi's thesis has a very comprehensive section on history. I can recommend it.

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#19 2008-07-17 16:28:05

lowonthetotem
Website

Has anyone read James H. Sanford's "Shakuhachi Zen. The Fukeshu and Komuso?"

Could anyone comment on Sanford's knowledge.  He has some pretty interesting things to say about the Komuso, the Shakuhachi, and some of the honkyoku.  I just wondered if anyone knew much about him.

#20 2008-07-18 00:43:21

rpowers

lowonthetotem wrote:

Has anyone read James H. Sanford's "Shakuhachi Zen. The Fukeshu and Komuso?"

Could anyone comment on Sanford's knowledge.  He has some pretty interesting things to say about the Komuso, the Shakuhachi, and some of the honkyoku.  I just wondered if anyone knew much about him.

If you consult Riley's dissertation, you will find that he criticizes Sanford for several inapt translations that alter the meanings of his Japanese source materials (see sections 3.5.3 and 3.5.4). Other parts of the article seem to be accepted as more reliable.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#21 2008-07-18 02:46:48

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

I've read it and quoted from it; I believe it was written back in the 1970s.   I think Sanford was  a scholar in the area of the history of religion.  I also found the article to be quite informative seeing as I lack the ability to read from the original source materials.  At the time I think his article was one of the few lengthy English language articles dealing with the komuso. I think that inapt translations concerning the history of the komuso continue to be a problem even today.  I imagine that Lee sensei's dissertation is one of the most up to date and comprehensive English language sources of information on komuso, particularly in regard to the transmission of honkyoku pieces.  Sanford's article was interesting to me in that it focused on the daily routine of the komuso at the Fuke temples and while on the road.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2008-07-18 02:48:06)

#22 2008-07-18 12:56:43

lowonthetotem
Website

Thanks for the link to Lee's paper.  In that chapter it seems to suggest that a ban was placed on Shakuhachi playing in relation to begging for alms.

#23 2008-08-16 22:28:43

genki desu

Hi, have been browsing through Takahashi's thesis this morning, and was reminded of this discussion. 

While reading Dr Lee's thesis in June, my feeling was there there quite possibly WAS a complete ban for a while , and that it may have come about like this:
Rule 1: No playing of shakuhachi except for religious purposes by religious guys. (Put into effect when Fuke sect was strong)
Rule 2: No playing of shakuhachi for religious purposes by religious guys. (Put into effect to end Fuke sect)

If Rule 2 got put into place without any effort to remove Rule 1 first, then doesn't this effective mean that shakuhachi playing is prohibited altogether?

Of course, it's all just speculation without knowing the actual wording and the timing of the two Rules.  But maybe this could explain why Yoshida Iccho and Araki Kodo needed to obtain special dispensation in order to teach, as mentioned in Takahashi's thesis.  Maybe their dealings with the government involved getting Rule 1 struck out?

Just a guess...

Last edited by genki desu (2008-08-16 22:30:57)

#24 2008-08-17 04:07:55

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Genki Desu
Kinko-ryu had been playing/teaching sankyoku (ensemble music) already for a long time during the Edo period. That is probably why Araki Kodo was in such a position to assure the government that shakuhachi was of great value for non-religious music. He was already a teacher of that established tradition.

Justin

Last edited by Justin (2008-08-17 04:08:31)

Board footer