hey Guys,
I would like to know about shakuhachi made with other materials besides bamboo,
and their sound differences?
Have you made any?
peace Geni

#2 2006-02-15 19:01:10

waryr

Re: shakuhachi in different materials?

I have made several from both schedule 40 and schedule 80 gray wall PVC with good results. Alos, schedule 40 white PVC.  I have made 1.3, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.4 and 3.0 lengths. The sound is bright and clear, and most of the fingerings I know work very well, as do most of the techniques I know. Just be sure if you make any that you don't inhale the PVC dust as it does NOT, as in never, deteriorate in the human body, i.e., your lungs.

I have several jinaishi and jiari rootend bamboo that I play most all the time, but I still like to play the "urban bamboo" periodically.

"If you understand, things are just as they are. If you don't understand, things are just as they are."

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

#3 2006-02-17 10:07:05

lee

i've always had an idea that a shakuhachi' made of glass could be quite good, although i've never heard of one being made

#4 2006-02-17 13:41:55

kyoreiflutes
Website

Riley Lee used to sell them in Hawaii when he was younger. It didn't look like it had a tapered bore or anything, so I'm not sure how good the thing sounded. I've thought about having a glass blower friend of mine try and make one, but you'd need to do it with a glass mold and all that: pain in the ass kind of stuff.

Otherwise, David Brown makes some nice wooden Shakuhachi out of Australia. They're always on ebay.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2006-03-03 01:05:41

JAlmodovar

Try The one i got... Made out of PVC, Virtually unbreakable.
www.shakuhachiyuu.com

#6 2006-03-04 12:50:13

JAlmodovar

Oops,Sorry...I take that back. The flute is made out of ABS Plastic. Sorry if i mislead you.
www.shakuhachiyuu.com

#7 2006-03-05 00:58:31

Yu-Jin

JAlmodovar wrote:

Try The one i got... Made out of PVC, Virtually unbreakable.
www.shakuhachiyuu.com

I have one.. I accidentally dropped it on the floor at home, and the joint broke... Nice binding with a twine and epoxy did the job, however, I keep it in my car taken apart anyway, just in case.

#8 2006-04-08 16:49:30

sakurashakuhachi

HI all; im new my names Rory. I'm apvc shakuahchi and hocchiku maker. just thought id add two things; one is that it's not the bamboo that gives a shakuhachi (or any flute) it's tone; it's the nature of the bore to length relationship coupled with the fingerhole ratio. Flute vibration contributes almost nothing to it's sound. And the second; is that although it isnt a good idea to get pvc dust in your lungs; it does clear eventually... as your lungs do clear themselves; they're not simply sacks.

#9 2006-04-08 21:35:14

dstone
Website

Dioxin is a byproduct in the production of PVC.  Dioxin is released again when PVC is incinerated if it makes it to the garbage.  Nasty stuff, that.  Something to keep in mind as the world seems to be creating and disposing of more and more PVC for building and consumer products.

On a happier note... I've found that good looking, thick-walled, non-root bamboo can be purchased around here for slightly less than similar-diameter PVC at Home Depot.  $8 per m for hocchiku-thick stuff.  That was a pleasant surprise!  Smells and feels better, too!

-Darren.

P.S. - Full disclosure: I have (and probably will still) find PVC useful for easy test drilling & honking of unusual hole placements before working on bamboo.  But I figured I'd pass along the toxic info while the topic was current...

Last edited by dstone (2006-04-08 21:49:46)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#10 2006-04-08 21:35:23

edosan
Edomologist

Flute repair:

Perry Yung has a very nifty and nicely illustrated repair of a John Kaizan Neptune shakuhachi on his website in the 'shakuhachi Blog' section (March 22, 2006):

http://www.yungflutes.com/log/

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer